[Event] Subaru Cape Town Western Cape XCO #3 - Bloemendal Wine Estate

Morne Veer

By all accounts, it should be another cracker of an event !  

After what we have seen this week at the Cape Epic, we should all be stage-race fit, after this xco series   :whistling:

Yes! If you want to do well at a marathon stage race, come race the XC series!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hoped the month gap to train was good enough, but alas. . I got lazy and didn't ride as much at the epic as I wanted to(spanner monkey not rider)

I've already worked out the code sign for my wife for when she needs to get the rooi-ambulansie ready. I think that 5th lap will be code red in the pain cave.

It's from cheering on my friends and mentee that my race itch has been growing. So now I pulled the trigger.

Woooooooooohooooooooooo!

Dude. I'll be there cheering for you.

Has anything changed on the course from WP Champs last year?

Trying to decide whether it's worth the hassle of getting out there to practice on Friday.

Trying to decide whether it's worth the hassle of getting out there to practice on Friday.

I asked that question last night & apparently minor changes but the majority is as before. I honestly can't see them adding anything technical this late. I was there twice last week & saw nothing new. So the changes i imagine would probably just be routing around the vineyards.

I asked that question last night & apparently minor changes but the majority is as before. I honestly can't see them adding anything technical this late. I was there twice last week & saw nothing new. So the changes i imagine would probably just be routing around the vineyards.

Thanks  :thumbup: 

Now I just need to summon up the courage to do the gap jump again. Did it throughout the race last year but it still scares me. They say these things are supposed to get easier the more you do them  :unsure:

I was there on Sunday and I am going to go through again tomorrow afternoon.

The main line is exactly the same as last year. A very little bit more rutted and blown out.

Only differences.

• After the first "rock drop" right at the top. The left hand berm used to run into two small rollers. They are now bigger, so its either a bigger pump, but you can jump them now. Just jump front wheel high.
  • Before the gap jump section, there was a small rocky kicker jump. Something has changed there and it doesn't sky rocket you anymore, you can hit it with more speed now.
  • The right hand berm just before the gap is rutted right in the normal line. It is you can hit the rut just fine or above and below it. Below the rut does send you a little off line though.
  • A little further down there are the two double jumps. The jumps are more worn now so you need to hit them with more speed and more pump to clear them. 
  • The rest of Lombards seemed to be the same.
  • At the bottom, that like "bath tub" section. The table tops have much sharper lips, so you are launched a bit better now over the tables. I still cant get the triple right.

My son says the rock garden next to the gap jump is not that much slower, and that the risk of a crash on the gap jump was too high for it to be worth while taking it.

But that was last year. Let's see on Friday afternoon. Philip, we are hopefully still on for a chat.

My son says the rock garden next to the gap jump is not that much slower, and that the risk of a crash on the gap jump was too high for it to be worth while taking it.

But that was last year. Let's see on Friday afternoon. Philip, we are hopefully still on for a chat.

Jip. I hope to be there by 3pm. Do a slow lap. Stop to check out stuff. And then do another lap. Will pm you my number.

To be honest, I'm pretty scared of being lapped.

From what I have seen of you, there is no way you are getting lapped.

Thanks for the ride and instruction with the boys.

Philip

My son rode much better today, and felt much stronger already in the 2nd lap, where he usually feels stronger on the 4th lap. He says he can definitely feel the warm up worked. He usually feels his lungs burning in the 1st and 2nd lap, and this did not happen today. He now says he needs to work on his legs more so they can catch up with his core.

He had a good fight with his friend and main rival. They were neck and neck until the 3rd lap when his friend had a fall, and after that was not able to reel in my son.

Thanks so much for the time you put in with him yesterday.

Edited by Moridin