How expensive is this fix?

chris_meowzit

Yeha, as v12 says. You're lucky that it's high on the stanchion, and not at the wiper level or just above the lowers, where it'd be constantly in and out of the lowers.  That would have been worse. Just get rid of any burrs so that the wipers & seals aren't affected by it, fill in the thing slightly using nail polish or just leave it be (after you've removed the burrs)

As V12 said... carefully remove burs and edges and leave it. Quite high up on the travel and should cause any problems

Did the same to my 66 maybe 2 years back. Black stanchions too! 

Anyways my scratch was worse but luckily near the end of the forks stroke.

Point is. The fork has had 2 services since.

On both occasions I supplied seals only to have them returned as the old seals were still mint. Till this day the fork functions flawlessly with no leaks etc. 

Just a pity about the eye sore.

I did not add anything to my scratches.

I just meticulously and cautiously sanded them down with 1000-2000 grit water paper.

I still keep an eye on it. Just because its hard to ignore.

But it has not affected the forks function at all.

Did the same to my 66 maybe 2 years back. Black stanchions too! 

Anyways my scratch was worse but luckily near the end of the forks stroke.

Point is. The fork has had 2 services since.

On both occasions I supplied seals only to have them returned as the old seals were still mint. Till this day the fork functions flawlessly with no leaks etc. 

Just a pity about the eye sore.

I did not add anything to my scratches.

I just meticulously and cautiously sanded them down with 1000-2000 grit water paper.

I still keep an eye on it. Just because its hard to ignore.

But it has not affected the forks function at all.

what if you befriend your friendly neighbourhood goth, and ask him for some of his black nail polish?

Archived