Noob question about Western Cape road race calendar

Mamil

As this is my first season as a roadie (who still uses MTB pedals and shoes, has a saddlebag but leaves the Camelbak at home) I'm not sure what the next road races are.

There's this WACT race on Sunday 19th but what other road events are there. I know what MTB events I'm going to be doing in the coming months and I am doing both MTB and road in Knysna in July but between now and then? 

What nice races are there to do?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As this is my first season as a roadie (who still uses MTB pedals and shoes, has a saddlebag but leaves the Camelbak at home) I'm not sure what the next road races are.

There's this WACT race on Sunday 19th but what other road events are there. I know what MTB events I'm going to be doing in the coming months and I am doing both MTB and road in Knysna in July but between now and then? 

What nice races are there to do?

Nothing PPA until spring

WP Cycling has some nice league races, don't know your ability but the Cat 3 league should be fine for a keen weekend warrior in the mid-range PPA groups

Go to http://www.wpcycling.com/event-calendar/

Last year WPCA hosted 22 events between March and October but this year they will be doing around 12 events as it became tiresome and very demanding on them to put up weekly league races.

They are also planning on doing a spring league from around Sept/Oct.

Next road race is next Sunday 26 March at the infamous Lady Loch circuit where the recent SA champs was held.

Come do 1 event and see how it goes you might get hooked. If you want to take your cycling to the next level come and do league racing.

On 30April they having another 100km race out in Durbanville area which should be a really great but its not on the WP calendar yet as they might do a 2 day race as its a long long weekend.

Go to http://www.wpcycling.com/event-calendar/

They are also planning on doing a spring league from around Sept/Oct.

I really hope WPC and PPA can sort out the possible spring league conflict.

It will be bad for both if they go their different routes of WPC independent races on the same weekends as PPA races/funrides.

Thanks for the pointers!

How do these races work? Is it a number of laps of the circuit until a certain distance is reached?

Thanks for the pointers!

How do these races work? Is it a number of laps of the circuit until a certain distance is reached?

For the circuits you do a predetermined x amount of laps (depends on the category). It is a nice introduction to the league races because there aren't massive climbs and if you get dropped it is not a long lonely ride home....

For the circuits you do a predetermined x amount of laps (depends on the category). It is a nice introduction to the league races because there aren't massive climbs and if you get dropped it is not a long lonely ride home....

And spectator friendly too

This is really cool, but R300 per race is quite steep..

Races were R150 last year and I think it will be either R200 or R150 again for riders affiliated to clubs registered with CSA and WPCA.

Remember that you need to have a CSA lic to race in CAT 2 & 3 and a Racing CSA license for CAT1.

Races were R150 last year and I think it will be either R200 or R150 again for riders affiliated to clubs registered with CSA and WPCA.

Remember that you need to have a CSA lic to race in CAT 2 & 3 and a Racing CSA license for CAT1.

Yeah I had a bit of a read. Think I'll definitely get the required licenses and start doing these events.

Yeah I had a bit of a read. Think I'll definitely get the required licenses and start doing these events.

Where in Cape Town are you based? 

Thanks - looks interesting if a bit intimidating -- no huge hills I like -

long lonely rides? That's when I do my best thinking.

I'm in the northern suburbs.

You should come and join us on some training rides as we are also based in the Northern suburbs.

I stay in Monte Vista and most of our club rides starts from N1 City Goodwood. 

Check out www.facebook.com\cyclopathsclub and we are affiliated to CSA and WPCA.

Drop me a PM for some more info.

You should come and join us on some training rides as we are also based in the Northern suburbs.

I stay in Monte Vista and most of our club rides starts from N1 City Goodwood. 

Check out www.facebook.com\cyclopathsclub and we are affiliated to CSA and WPCA.

Drop me a PM for some more info.

Sounds interesting, should join CSA and start racing.  Any group training rides in the Southern Suburbs? 

So I'm struggling to see how many laps each Cat does of the course - where does one get this info? Is there a set distance for each of the Cats that they meet by making you go around the circuit however many times?

Archived