Noob question about Western Cape road race calendar

Mamil

WHAT ?  :eek:

Are you suggesting some might actually cycle for the fun of it ?  :devil:   :devil:

funny how some amateurs are more serious about a hobby than some real pro's ....  :whistling:

I did not mention fun, I find the best way to get race fit is to go along and pop at  a WP event. Maybe thats a type of fun for some people! :P

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does WPCA have a seeding?! As far as I know they use PPA seeding for a guide to your category and your WPCA results doesn't count for any seeding.

Also, the chip is only to have an official result with points for the autumn/winter league. But has anybody seen anything about a 'GC' type points table for the league?

I read a news letter a while back, (I know, shock horror, reading) they said they will start with the PPA one as a base and then overtime move to own seeding, so if want to ride cat 1 need a history of WPCC races, which I think is fair. 

Nope, not seen a GC. But if you not first, you last :P

I read a news letter a while back, (I know, shock horror, reading) they said they will start with the PPA one as a base and then overtime move to own seeding, so if want to ride cat 1 need a history of WPCC races, which I think is fair. 

Nope, not seen a GC. But if you not first, you last :P

In practice a rider can basically start in any category as there is hardly any control. They even allowed a tandem to race in category 3 on Sunday at Killarney which was insane taking into consideration the wild riding in that cat.

In practice a rider can basically start in any category as there is hardly any control. They even allowed a tandem to race in category 3 on Sunday at Killarney which was insane taking into consideration the wild riding in that cat.

Interesting!!

You shouldn't be allowed to start in just any category, and indeed WP Cycling uses the PPA seeding index as a guide as to where you should start, and also states the relevant licencing requirements for the categories. I can't speak for the lack of control here (?), but just pitching and riding in any category is dumb and dangerous. The aspirant racer should have enough savvy to ask themselves the questions of their own abilities and legitimacy to be in the bunch they are. Said abilities are well beyond just being able to turn the cranks for speed.

The tandem should never have been allowed to start with a single bike category, or anywhere for that matter, and I've been assured by the race officials that this will be the case going forward. The WP Cycling chairman informed me that he was unaware of their presence until the race was already well underway. For some months prior to this I have discussed with him the potential of tandems participating in certain of the league races, and the answer was only if sufficient tandems entered (5+) to warrant a separate racing tandem category, but most certainly not mixed in with a single bike category. Sunday was a complete surprise to me to hear about. I know the tandem team that participated on Sunday, and indeed we have been given a concession to participate in the Killarney De-Al Nite series crit races in +1 category, which we have done with them .. but even among that bunch of generally more experienced single bike competitors it has been hairy to race. The provisio in that instance is that we would not chase any breaks down and not interfere with any tactical racing from the single bikes. Generally the tandems are just a little faster than the single bikes and we find ourselves stuck on the front for longer periods of time, but it's almost impossible to breakaway at Killarney. It's also safer at the front, without inexperienced single bikes riding into your line all the time.

For those that are keen and able .. I'm looking for participants to put together a decent tandem field for the league races. PM me please !

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where or how to get results from today's crit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know where or how to get results from today's crit.

Anyone? Paarden Eiland Crit?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Probably the wrong thread but I can't seem to find any info on this.

I'm new to CT, and I have heard of track nights at Killarney.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Would t mind heading past on the way back from work sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

www.wpcycling.com

Thanks I saw that. Seems there was some trouble with the results. My timing chip wasn't picked up.

Any provisional dates for the spring events?

Some of us like to plan ahead  :ph34r:

Spring series has been cancelled due to the PPA putting on their own spring league.

This coming Sunday is Fisantekraal(Durbanville area) WP league race.

25km loop in the area and last year was 3 laps for CAT3 and 4 loops for CAT2 and 5 laps CAT1 but still waiting on full details to be released.

Route map - https://www.strava.com/routes/2600324

I will update this post when i receive full details from WPCA.

Spring series has been cancelled due to the PPA putting on their own spring league.

This coming Sunday is Fisantekraal(Durbanville area) WP league race.

25km loop in the area and last year was 3 laps for CAT3 and 4 loops for CAT2 and 5 laps CAT1 but still waiting on full details to be released.

Route map - https://www.strava.com/routes/2600324

I will update this post when i receive full details from WPCA.

Thanks for the update bankie, a bit disappointing... was looking forward to ride in places like slanghoek and piketberg again as opposed to the normal d'ville/paarl PPA rides

But it makes sense that you cannot run 2 concurrent leagues

Thanks for the update bankie, a bit disappointing... was looking forward to ride in places like slanghoek and piketberg again as opposed to the normal d'ville/paarl PPA rides

But it makes sense that you cannot run 2 concurrent leagues

Good news however is that the Piketberg race will be happening again this year but this time the race will finish at the very top of the pass.

I again cannot recall the date for this race but I will confirm that as soon as I get more info.

Good news however is that the Piketberg race will be happening again this year but this time the race will finish at the very top of the pass.

I again cannot recall the date for this race but I will confirm that as soon as I get more info.

My favourite WP race, was the WP race to Veldrift. :)

Archived