Noob question about Western Cape road race calendar

Mamil

So I'm struggling to see how many laps each Cat does of the course - where does one get this info? Is there a set distance for each of the Cats that they meet by making you go around the circuit however many times?

I see the info is not on yet so I can only speculate but if past events are to go by CAT 3 would do ballpark 70km, CAT 2 about 100km and CAT 1 about 120km (you can do the math of how many laps that would be) - So yes, there is a set distance.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the info is not on yet so I can only speculate but if past events are to go by CAT 3 would do ballpark 70km, CAT 2 about 100km and CAT 1 about 120km (you can do the math of how many laps that would be) - So yes, there is a set distance.

How it works is every race is different, you get Crits(Criterium) race which are usually on a tight course of around 1.5 - 2kms per lap then you race for 30mins + 1 lap(at the bell) for CAT3, CAT2 45mins + 1 lap and CAT 1 is 1 hour + 1 lap.

Then you get circuit races which are bigger than a crit at say 4kms + and picture something like Killarney race track and again this is time based + 1 lap.

Then you get road races which is usually on a loop and these vary but usually around 70kms for CAT3, 100Kms CAT 2 and CAT 1 100/120kms. These races usually run simultaneously with all 3 CAT's racing 5mins apart for time constraints.

You should def come and check it out if you want to take your cycling to the next level. This is not PPA fun rides this is proper racing with constant attacks, team tactics and guttering as there is prize money and prizes up for grabs for all CAT's as well as leaderboard and series winners.

SNIP

You should def come and check it out if you want to take your cycling to the next level. This is not PPA fun rides this is proper racing with constant attacks, team tactics and guttering as there is prize money and prizes up for grabs for all CAT's as well as leaderboard and series winners.

This will wake up the beast in Mamil   :devil:

It wakes up the beast coz beauty gets dropped otherwise :clap:  :clap:

I'm thinking about getting into my lumo fleeced booties for this  :w00t:

Was very impressed with the head count last winter

No wonder it was so hot in the bunch this last spring-summa  :nuke:  :nuke:  :nuke:

Was very impressed with the head count last winter

No wonder it was so hot in the bunch this last spring-summa  :nuke:  :nuke:  :nuke:

Yeah the guys were all next level which made for good and hard racing this summer. Real pity about CTCT as it would have been really interesting this year.

Flip man, I wish we had this type of thing up in JHB

Come down for the long weekend in April 27- 1 May with your team and we will do a double header race on that weekend for you. :thumbup:

Come down for the long weekend in April 27- 1 May with your team and we will do a double header race on that weekend for you. :thumbup:

Bankie are you now part of the organising?

Bankie are you now part of the organising?

Yes I am on the road committee and my club is hosting the race/s on the long weekend in April 30th.

Yeah I had a bit of a read. Think I'll definitely get the required licenses and start doing these events.

Just dont get CSA racing license as you wont be able todo most of the unsactioned mtb /road events anymore....

Yes I am on the road committee and my club is hosting the race/s on the long weekend in April 30th.

Awesome. Good to have an insider here on thehub ;-) Best of luck bankie!

30 minutes plus one lap - that'll sort the mamils from the mice. I expect that's flat out all the time with extra surges added on. 

Right I think I'll enter the Outrider's cycling festival - that's the next target after this weekend's 60km mtb and the PPA event.

Thanks for all the info.

Dale - when you're wearing your lumo fleece --- is that beauty or beast?

Awesome. Good to have an insider here on thehub ;-) Best of luck bankie!

The great thing with WPCA is that they have regular meetings and all clubs must have a rep at the meetings for direct rider input and that is what will make this model grow.

Next race is on Sunday 26 March at Lady Loch circuit out in Wellington so please pull through to support or participate. All the big elite/pro teams will be there as always.

Just dont get CSA racing license as you wont be able todo most of the unsactioned mtb /road events anymore....

Who's gonna know  :ph34r:

Archived