Philadelphia 76km

Brett Pearce

Also doing it for the first time...my original home town, but not sure how punishing it will be...Lets see!

Lots and lots, and then more and more sand, add in the biggest thorns you have ever seen in your life.  Other than that, nothing technical, and just one big climb in the beginning.

Good luck, its a toughie. Expect a lot of loose sand and devil's thorns! Think I stopped counting at 70 thorns in just my front tyre after the race. Don't even attempt without decent tubeless and topped up Stans...

I did the 40-odd 2 years ago and promised myself i will never go back. If you like sand you will love the event...

Did the 40km two years ago, did quite well actually. But at one point came charging down a hill, missed a left arrow and road into a hideous bog (dry river crossing) that stank to high heaven. After getting stuck I had to slog out of it reeking with thick gunk clogging everything. Following this was a delightful bit of very sandy trail along the river. So now I stank, my bike and shoes weighed a ton from the ooze, and I had to push through shedloads of sand. Luckily the ooze covered the 45 or so thorns that I pulled out of the front tyre when I got home and washed everything down. But the Stans covered the floor with ooze again. But it was a nice race. #gofigure

This sounds like purgatory. Doing the 40.... i'd ask how bad can it be but after 2 and a bit years of mtb I'm smarter than that.

It is a new route, last year it was about 63 odd, but they have added another big climb more towards the latter part of the route, probably to get the total ascent above the 1000m.  Last year was very enjoyable and did not get as many thorns as the guys had in previous years.

Things I remember of the race last year, the flippen steep climb at the start followed by fairly flat route that included quiet a bit of sandy patches, some well stocked waterpoints (loved the gummybears), and a bit of a route detour when the one board fell flat.  This year we in for a bit of a challenge 300m added between 40km and 45km.  

And there i was upset that i was needing to miss this event due to a party the previous night.... Saved me not having some fun, but i'll still be suffering on the day. ;-)

Edited by kent77

jeepers this doesn't sound like fun at all.

Its definitely a fun race. People like to go overboard on the sand bit. There were a few sections but nothing as bad as some make it out to be. The climb at the beginning is extremely testing though but its pretty much smooth sailing after that.

Its definitely a fun race. People like to go overboard on the sand bit. There were a few sections but nothing as bad as some make it out to be. The climb at the beginning is extremely testing though but its pretty much smooth sailing after that.

Agree, this was one of the races that I look forward to every year to participate in

I did the 60km in 2015 and the 40km last year. This is the first time they take the long route in the Klipheuwel direction and up that hill that featured in the Faircape MTB about 4 years ago. 

Quite excited to see how the 76km plays out, with only 1200m climbing it should not be too rough although there is sandy section. I love those.  :thumbup: