Is it foolish for a woman to cycle alone across the Middle East?

bikebloke

I won't be the first time. Met a British woman riding "Round the world" on her middle east leg in Jordan. She even slept along the road when she couldn't get to the next town and spoke highly about how safe she felt. So been done aplenty before.

Thank you for this: http://ontheroadtosomewhere.weebly.com/     :thumbup:

I wonder what the security forces of these repressive regimes will now do to those people that assisted her after reading this?  

• The police aggressively grilling everyone I met.
  • Yet foreigners are not permitted to stay with locals without permission, and several of my hosts endured an intense grilling by police.
  • Some of those aware of my profession declined any contact at all due to fear of repercussion.
  • Everywhere I went, security and oppression continually curbed freedom and dissent.

Some stay in their routines

Some live on the edge

Don't think she believes everything she reads in the news ????????

Read some of Dervla Murphy's books. She's ridden alone through some pretty dodgy places.

Had lots of 'Adventures'...

Also - Don't let other peoples opinions get in the way of doing what you want to do.

Nice article, good read... Crazy person, but Kudo's to her for attempting and successfully completing her goal...

reminds me of a travel report I recently read:

Young surfer travelling along Africa's coast in the search of undiscovered waves. He reports of only great experiences and no threats to his security or possessions at all, and encourages the reader to drop the overly cautious approach, etc...

Two paragraphs later he remembers a fellow European traveler who he met, and who then was, by the way, shot and killed two weeks later in the DRC...

Some people look at risk simply differently....

I hear syria is lovely at this time of year; that iraq is peachy and the yemen absolutely sublime.

Back in 2009 I did a project for 16months next to dead Sea on the Jordan side. . I cycled the 24km to site and everyday. I came across a few guys cycling trough the area . I had to get permission from the locals to wear my cycling kit. Jordan is still OK as it's probably the most liberal country in the middle east. But for a woman alone it's just looking for trouble.

I have also come across two Australian ladies backpacking trough Africa in Mozambique. Totally idiotic in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived