Tell me about your "Perfect" Training Power Breakfast please

I needed to lose a few kg's after Christmas so I went on a bit of a diet. Nothing too crazy.

Stage one was a combination of smaller all-round portions and stopping eating sweets and biscuits by the bucket load.

Stage two was to add "cutting out sugar in tea & coffee"

Stage three was to add increasing exercise - which I did do as soon as the worst of winter was over.

I happily lost 4kgs in about 8 weeks and another one over the next month, I only need to lose a couple more - but I've plateaued.

So, now that I have my "silly eating" under control I need to refine what exactly I eat and when.

I've been skipping breakfast completely (no one gets up here until 9am in Jan & Feb) - or eating a banana if I'm going to ride (from March onwards). Then having mid morning snack with my neighbours on the farm, big lunch at around 3pm and tea at 6 or 7pm.

Summer is now here and everything needs to change. I'm getting up at a sensible time and so the first thing I will look at is breakfast. I need to start my day with a decent power-breakfast which will be followed by either hard physical work at the farm/our house or an equally hard bike ride.

So - your recommended power breakfasts please . . . .

We mentioned in the "Epic" thread that Cadel was eating Rice, sliced Avo and honey for breakfast - that's what got me thinking that Tea, Toast & Jam needed the boot!

Rolled oats, cooked in low fat milk. You can add honey or cinnamon for taste. But maybe stay away from the honey and cinnamon until you lose the weight needed.

Coffee and oats with honey to sweeten. Some advice I got from a dietitian regarding what to eat, maximum 20g sugar, 40g carbs, protein 2g/kg body weight and approximately 100g fat per day. Enjoy a cheat night once a week and if you have sweet cravings during the day eat some fruit.

Low fat or plain Yogurt and muesli(dry fruit or raisins) every day and for longer rides (upwards of 3 hours) oats, no milk no sugar. Every other ride I do before breakfast that's shorter than 3hrs I do fasted.

I find oats doesn't keep me full as long, within an hour or 2 I'm hungry again.

Weekends I normally have bacon, eggs some veggies and toast. Sundays no breakfast but a huge lunch

My power breakfast was: 50g Oats,250ml milk, Tsp tumeric, tsp ginger or fesh, tsp Baobab powder, 25g goji berries, 25g red berries, tsp of those lottle black seeds (some kind of super food), tbls Honey, 25g mix of linseed, pumpkin seed and Sunflower seeds. Blend and enjoy.

I give up alcohol every year for lent ( 47 days )

It is a great way to detox ( I drink about 2 beers daily ) and a small sacrifice to remind me of the bigger sacrifice God made for mankind.

Anyway, I lose ZERO weight during this time, so don't let anyone ever tell you that beer is fattening  :w00t:

An Americano and 4 boiled eggs. Some mornings I include a small bowl of oats. 

Snack on a handfull of nuts if I'm feeling hungry, but one thing that really saved me was drinking a lot of water. 

Start of with 300-500ml when you wake up. 

When you feel hungry, drink the same amount. 

I found that sometimes I wasn't really hungry, my body just wanted water. 

This made me feel a lot more energized during the day. I also did mielie pap or bread for breakfast, just did not work for my body. I never had enough energy.

Happy to say I've lost about 6kg's since December and feel fantastic. 

I guess it is important to find what really works for your unique system and stick with it. If you are looking to eat right it needs to be for the right reasons. I'm not looking to loose weight, I just want to feel better and have more energy. High protein in the mornings just work for me. 

My wife recommended we do a blood type diet. We're also looking to do this to see if it correlates with what makes us feel better and our results. 

Consider a session with a dietitian ...

When I was diagnosed with diabetes I did some googling ... worst thing ever for medical stuff !!!

The "correct" advise is very patient specific !!!  Different exercise needs, different medical needs, different life styles, doby type and size, etc etc all impact on the truly correct answer.

For ME, with my current diagnosis, breakfast could be any of the following (and I DO alternate):

- Oats

- All Bran

- WheetBix (Light option for diabetics)

- Meusli LIGHT (also find this does not keep me full for long)

- egg on whole wheat (sadly no bacon - not good for diabetics)

2 to 3 hours later a fruit snack

- 2 glasses of fat free milk

- 20 grams of futurelife in the milk

- 60 grams of large flake oats

- piece of fruit

- cup of black coffee

Food of champions!

Big rides - 3hrs plus are 3 eggs scrambled on whole grain toast followed by a Pace and Power Endurashake half hour later.

Sorted.

Small rides - less than 2 hours - I ride fasted

As a previous poster mentions.....this is very specific to you. So maybe see a dietician for advice. But even then, you must find out below.

You need to know your own body: what is likes, what it does with different food, what doesn't work etc.

Generally, to cut more weight, you need to change eating habits more. Toast and jam is loaded with carbs and sugar. So not the ideal but needs to be seen in conjunction with your physical work. Overall, if you cut most carbs (keep a few of course), sugar and salt and alcohol, then this will go a long way to losing kilos. An increase in physical activity (lots of riding) will do the rest. Intervals will speed up metabolism. You might feel an increase in hunger spending this much energy, but try limit portions and stay away from above.

Possibly look into meal replacement shakes or protein shakes to fill up the stomach.

Good luck!

Some variation going on here, but also some common veins running through peoples choices. I'll try some of the above options and, as suggested, see what works for me.

My aim is 1) not to put back on the weight I've lost, 2) to slowly lose a little bit more and 3)  to have more general energy through the day.

The diet plan is also being accompanied by a morning stretching plan . . .getting old and feeling the aches and pains in the mornings now :-(

and also, as I said in my OP it is part of an over-all diet shake-up - they eat odd things at odd times here and coupled with not having a "regular job" it's all gone a bit haywire!

Archived