Leg warmers vs Tights

Zorro5614

Yes, have a pair. They are great. Come up nice and high on the sides. Are also tailored from multi panels for a great fit, out Team kit is just a long single tube :(

Never been cold in the Assos ones even on Stelvio in the snow at -10....

sorted that's enough for me ????

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use some of the anatomict leg warmers and they're super toasty. Tuck under your bibs nicely too! And we're cheap!

I actually think for most SA weather, full length leg warmers are too much and you actually only need some knee warmers, and shoe covers to keep the toes toasty.

They also fold up smaller when you do take them off, and tend to have a better fit, I find the full length are good, but either upper leg is too tight, or lower leg is too loose.

SNIP

Quick 'fashion' question......should your leg warmers be the same colour as your arm warmers? This is seriaaas stuff...

Not at all

If everything matches, then you're suffer from PRS

???? Power Ranger Syndrome

If you have to ask.....

Hey be kind ....some of us are new roadies. Still trying to figure out how to ride a bike. Only took the visor off my helmet a a year ago. Progress has been a bit slow but I'm getting there. 

I use some of the anatomict leg warmers and they're super toasty. Tuck under your bibs nicely too! And we're cheap!

I actually think for most SA weather, full length leg warmers are too much and you actually only need some knee warmers, and shoe covers to keep the toes toasty.

They also fold up smaller when you do take them off, and tend to have a better fit, I find the full length are good, but either upper leg is too tight, or lower leg is too loose.

Not if you spend a few hours in the saddle. When I was still training seriously my arm and leg warmers plus overshoe's was not a luxery but a must have.

Also used gloves but used cricket inner gloves inside my gloves.

+1 on knee warmers over leg warmers or fleece bibs. Only ever used First Ascents and Anatomics; the Anatomics were retired to the cupboard as I lost weight and they lost fit! I don't feel the cold too much on my legs - thick Scots' blood to thank for that - so FAs work for me. My hands....that would be another matter...so I'd take good gloves over good knee warmers any day! 

In winter I've been known to wear my knee guards in winter more than in summer. But I assume that this does not apply to you.

I rate knee warmers combined with proper winter socks (thick wool, mohair or even sealskinz if it is wet.) I don't have a lot of sensation in my shins so the exposed bit between knee warmers and toasty socks is fine. But I can't live with cold goes anymore.

Look for fleecy leg/knee warmers. Just plain lycra is like farting against thunder.

In SA I never needed full length cycling kit.  A good set of leg warmers did the job and did the job well for many years.  I bought one pair of winter kit here.  Not because the leg warmers did not to do the job but the chill factor gets to the point that the skin under the shorts that are not protected by the leg warmers were taking flack of the cold temperatures.  For temperatures over 4 degrees (or when I commute) I still prefer the leg warmers.  Below 0 then I am less worried about the legs being warm, then the hands are taking a beating even with the winter gloves.

http://www.skooldays.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/leg-warmers.jpg

VS:

http://earlsmithstrand.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/500full-robin-hood-men-in-tights-screenshot.jpg

Edited by RocknRolla

Riding for the past few years at 5 in the mornings, thermal leg warmers and 2xcyclling shorts in 0degree weather. Was/is enough for me, When we starting riding at 7 on weekends only thermal knee warmers as it is getting warmer after 8.  

I have a pair of Castelli 3/4 bibs, knickers, wochamacallit. Works well enough even in cold wet weather so far. Will have to probably get some knee warmers to go with standard bibs. When I used to ride in the Northeren Cape ages ago we had to wear full length bibs or tigts in the mornings as it never warmed up. Cape Town is quite pleasant in terms of cold as long as it doesnt rain.

Edited by Cippo

I prefer the leg warmers. Got a great black pair that I only use for about two months of the year.

Quick 'fashion' question......should your leg warmers be the same colour as your arm warmers? This is seriaaas stuff...

The way I see it the more psychedelic your outfit, the more visible you are no the road - which is never a bad thing. So commit those fashion crimes in the name of road safety  ^_^

I would recommend leg warmers, much more versatile.

I use the Spez ones and have never had any issues with them.