Malibongwe Drive into the cradle - safe?

Furbz

With all the roadworks on Ceder Ave - is Malibongwe a safe alternative to ride out and back on to the cradle?

Have used it a number of time without any issue, however the section after kya sands past cosmo is a little dodgy and I would recommend you hook up with a group. I've passed on my lonesome and really wasn't comfortable. Taxis are also a concern until that big robot at. Cosmo. Otherwise, not an issue for me and would ride again.

There is usually a lot of debri on Mali from Witkoppen crossing until Cosmos. Make sure you pay attention so you don't have to stop and repair along the road.

thanks. i do a lot of solo riding. so needs to be safe for a individual rider...

Not a chance that I would ride that road.

I would rather deal with the road works, or even ride all the way up Wittkoppen and go in to the cradle via HP.

Not a chance that I would ride that road.

I would rather deal with the road works, or even ride all the way up Wittkoppen and go in to the cradle via HP.

HP is a very firm no go according to me - too many RIPs on that road, had too many close calls, stayed on the other side of it (KDP) and the drivers are completely wild west!

Beyers Naude (after Peter Road) is suicidal - no shoulder, narrow road, speeding cars, deep ditches next to road

Malibongwe should be fine, but beware of drivers doing daft stuff leading up to Cosmo. PAY ATTENTION!

Cedar I've only attempted as part of a group, so can't venture an opinion, however it should be a better choice (in my book) than HP or Beyers)

Not sure there are actual safe options :( 

Ride Malibongwe regularly solo and have never had a safety issue. Debris around Cosmo is an issue but there is a wide shoulder so plenty of space to move around.

Alternatives are

1) Beyers. Can go straight but there is no shoulder. I therefore prefer going right on Marina

2) HP, despite the wide shoulder there have been a lot of incidents. I therefore use Hole in one which runs parallel and only use HP for last bit

Rode out through the roadworks on cedar this morning 6am, it not so bad.... will continue to do so with the roadworks. Is only the section from Witkoppen to broadacres and there were a few cyclist on that road this morning. If you really that worried about it, park at broadacres and cycle from there!

So options are:

Ceder Ave - Roadworks but otherwise ok

Malibongwe - Cosmos debri and Cosmos itself

Hendrik Potgieter - Many reported RIP incidents = dangerous

Beyers Naude - No shoulder, Narrow, Zandspruit Squatter Camp = NO GO?

Marina - again Zandspruit. otherwise ok? what about using Aureole Ave to get to it?

Is Zandspruit a issue to drive past, i'm sure it must be uncomfortable. always looks like chaos when i drive past there

I would stick to option 1.

Then there is always the option to drive to Bidon and just do loops....

^^^^^^^ This!

Or park at Valverde, which is closer to Cedar. If you really want the extra hills (up past Estee timbers etc,) then do some reps on the Valverde hill...

^^^^^^^ This!

Or park at Valverde, which is closer to Cedar. If you really want the extra hills (up past Estee timbers etc,) then do some reps on the Valverde hill...

This is the best option,with safe parking

I used to ride out on HP early to the cradle (when I was pretending to be a cyclist) but have only driven out the last few years - the extra mileage was nice, but so is seeing my kids & wife every morning. Hopefully things will improve, but for now quite frankly, all those routes scare me. Fast cars and bicycles do not mix.

Lots of nice starting points in the Cradle... Something Country, Valverde, Thatch Cafe, Lion & Rhino, Bidon Bistro etc

Lots of nice starting points in the Cradle... Something Country, Valverde, Thatch Cafe, Lion & Rhino, Bidon Bistro etc

....and my front door too (but that's a state secret :ph34r: )

Archived