[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2018

Tanya De Abreu Fernandes

Will be my first one and looking forward to it, but also a bit 'scared' of the unknown and how the body will cope after 230km(my longest ride to date). 

Training has not been ideal, 'lost' two months through illness and only picked up training again in mid-Jan, very slowly. Currently doing 2/3 structured wattbike sessions a week, 2 strength/flexibility/core session in the gym and a long ride(6-8 hours) on Saturday with a short 1-2 hour on Sunday.

My gold medal time will be 24 hours but also happy just to finish and enjoy the ride!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be my first one and looking forward to it, but also a bit 'scared' of the unknown and how the body will cope after 230km(my longest ride to date). 

Training has not been ideal, 'lost' two months through illness and only picked up training again in mid-Jan, very slowly. Currently doing 2/3 structured wattbike sessions a week, 2 strength/flexibility/core session in the gym and a long ride(6-8 hours) on Saturday with a short 1-2 hour on Sunday.

My gold medal time will be 24 hours but also happy just to finish and enjoy the ride!

If you can handle 230km, you'll handle 36One with the right mental attitude and race plan....We all, well some of us, get to lose some training time but if you can turn the pedals and have forward momentum, it can be done!

Thanks TW! Luckily my strongest 'muscle' is my mental 'strength' and attitude so should be ok.

Like the endurance side of things and with the help of the last couple of threads and advice from you guys my 'raceplan' should be good.

Have done 9 Transbaviaans rides(including a 'double' last year) but somehow still feel apprehensive about this one. Guess I'm still to make that mindshift that I can do it.

43 Days!! in counting...... my last big ultra training ride coming up tomorrow (Friday) start 6pm, x4 loops of +/-60km and if still feeling good by Saturday morning a 5th to make it 300km. So much rain has fallen over the past few days, the conditions of the 'groads is going to play a big part in getting this done......Thankful to be having a stronger, 36One newbie joining me........ :D

How are the rest of you warriors coming on........ ;)

Gonna ride day in and day out ...[emoji468]...more mileage done than last year, but work is busier.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks TW! Luckily my strongest 'muscle' is my mental 'strength' and attitude so should be ok.

Like the endurance side of things and with the help of the last couple of threads and advice from you guys my 'raceplan' should be good.

Have done 9 Transbaviaans rides(including a 'double' last year) but somehow still feel apprehensive about this one. Guess I'm still to make that mindshift that I can do it.

You right...the name of the game is "mental strength". From 280km to 310km was the worst for me, the rolling hills and the heat was when I lost my sense of humour but ya managed it.

• 2 weeks later...

You right...the name of the game is "mental strength". From 280km to 310km was the worst for me, the rolling hills and the heat was when I lost my sense of humour but ya managed it.

Yip, looking at the profile fanie posted I can see why that section would be tough, will keep that in mind.

I got a sub entry and now looking for accommodation (place is packed!!). If anyone knows about available options please PM me. Thanks!

I got a sub entry and now looking for accommodation (place is packed!!). If anyone knows about available options please PM me. Thanks!

Accommodation is always going to be tough to find last minute. Try the tourism office and ask for any assistance. (044) 272 0041........

Accommodation is always going to be tough to find last minute. Try the tourism office and ask for any assistance. (044) 272 0041........

Thanks! I actually got sorted today with some accommodation at the School of Skils. They had an opening for me. Thanks for the other PM's too guys!

See you guys there! I'll be the guy mumbling to myself at the start "go slower this time, go slower this time..." and then rocket off at the start in all race mode throwing any race plan I had out of the window  :ph34r:

Edited by WaldoZ

If you can handle 230km, you'll handle 36One with the right mental attitude and race plan....We all, well some of us, get to lose some training time but if you can turn the pedals and have forward momentum, it can be done!

I am of the opinion that you shouldn't need to do more than a 6-hour training ride for anything like 36One, Baviaans, 24hr etc. If you can keep your body and mind together for 6 hours, you're pretty much good to go. Longer rides incur the recovery penalty - takes me a month to get over a 24hr, probably 3 weeks to get over 36One, and 2 weeks to get over the BigDayOut.

Afterall - 36One is just 4 90km stages. And anyone can ride 90kms, especially if there are water points every 30kms. Date balls and coca-cola. Food of champions!

I am of the opinion that you shouldn't need to do more than a 6-hour training ride for anything like 36One, Baviaans, 24hr etc. If you can keep your body and mind together for 6 hours, you're pretty much good to go. Longer rides incur the recovery penalty - takes me a month to get over a 24hr, probably 3 weeks to get over 36One, and 2 weeks to get over the BigDayOut.

Afterall - 36One is just 4 90km stages. And anyone can ride 90kms, especially if there are water points every 30kms. Date balls and coca-cola. Food of champions!

"Date balls and coca-cola. Food of champions!"....... I'll second that!!  :clap: