Best Bike 4 Somerset/Stellies?????

Apemanscolony

Howdy Hubbers,

Need help guys, bikes and poeple having too many diffrent stories.

We moving to Somerset West in December, and everybody tells me i need a bike for the trails.

I have a Specialized WC at the moment, a Spez Fuse 650fatty.

Will the WC work, or not? I want something that will work, but a lot of people states that im going to break by bike, need more travel, etc.

So looking at the Stumpjumper or Cannondale? 

The pros dont ride stumpies in Stellies and surroundings?

HELP PLEASE.

Sounds to me like you have the perfect combo! I would want to change the Fuze for a Stumpy if budget allows (purely because my bad back doesn't allow me to ride a hardtail). But at the moment you have an awesome XC bike and an awesome trail bike - best of both worlds if you ask me.

And for what the pros ride, that depends what they are a pro in! An XC pro rides an Epic WC, and an Enduro pro rides a Stumpy or Enduro - really comes down to what you will be doing.

But the notion that you are going to break your bikes it stupid. You can break a DH bike in Rosemary Hill if you want to, and ride a cyclo cross bike down a whistler double black line if you are so inclined. You will not break your bike unless you do something with it that it is not intended for.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Dont know man, all depends on if you are going to buy cash or finance the new bike?

Cash, wont finance a bike...so need to save for the right bike

Camber all the way.

Great middle ground between the Epic and Stumpy!

We call it the Bike of the People  :thumbup:

That was what i said. then they said the Stumpjumer 2017 Comp Carbon, have boost. 28mm wide rims which allows for the wheel to sit wider, and can fir my 650 fatty wheels on it. Best of both worlds. They say can ride the epic with the Stumpy, although i wont try

Sounds to me like you have the perfect combo! I would want to change the Fuze for a Stumpy if budget allows (purely because my bad back doesn't allow me to ride a hardtail). But at the moment you have an awesome XC bike and an awesome trail bike - best of both worlds if you ask me.

And for what the pros ride, that depends what they are a pro in! An XC pro rides an Epic WC, and an Enduro pro rides a Stumpy or Enduro - really comes down to what you will be doing.

But the notion that you are going to break your bikes it stupid. You can break a DH bike in Rosemary Hill if you want to, and ride a cyclo cross bike down a whistler double black line if you are so inclined. You will not break your bike unless you do something with it that it is not intended for.

Thanx. They said hardtail is a bit hard for the trails though...but used my bike for the Transcape, Epic, Joberg2C and Pioneer last year, and managed all place to ride, even fell down the cliff on Pioneer and my bike didnt break...lol

I just wanna climb on a bike, and go ride lets say 100km or if it be 25km on the trails, and not to worry about, oh **** wrong bike cant go ride there and there...

Why do't you just keep what you have and ride the trails when you get here and decide based on first hand experience?

That is what i was thinking...but the bikes i can get is at really good prices...well so they say...

I have a dropper post on my Epic.  With that combo you can ride any trail in Stellies or Somerset, except maybe for the full on Black (downhill) trails.  My Epic is still in one piece. 

Howdy Hubbers,

We moving to Somerset West in December, and everybody tells me i need a bike for the trails.

Will the WC work, or not? I want something that will work, but a lot of people states that im going to break by bike, need more travel, etc.

HELP PLEASE.

Hi there I had a S-works WC and changed to a Trek Fuel EX best move I ever did . I live in Somerset West and ride all the trails the is to offer here and Stellies. The Ex has a longer travel and the the more relaxed frame is great. I felt more confident and your margin for error is more. You can test ride one from BMT in Stellies  first before you decided. Speak to Chris at BMT 0218873417. Good luck

Don't listen to the people.

Save up. Move down. Ride your fuse, and then make your own informed opinion.

I live in Somerset West. I have a trance, and a hardtail. Both are fun here. Both work perfectly fine.

You don't really need a new bike. The fuse will be fine.

You do however want a new bike.

But choose for yourself, don't let the people away your opinions.

Hi there I had a S-works WC and changed to a Trek Fuel EX best move I ever did . I live in Somerset West and ride all the trails the is to offer here and Stellies. The Ex has a longer travel and the the more relaxed frame is great. I felt more confident and your margin for error is more. You can test ride one from BMT in Stellies  first before you decided. Speak to Chris at BMT 0218873417. Good luck

I had a Merida hardtail.  One can do trails with it, and there ARE many riders that do.

But I had enough of all the bumps, and also went for the TREK Fuel EX5.  WOW !!!

post-110956-0-58205700-1495466982_thumb.jpg

SO NICE !!!!!!!!

Still have a hardtail as a commuter.  But for trails a dual suspension is just "nicer".

That said - more and more fatties on trails, just run lower pressures to provide some suspension ....

That was what i said. then they said the Stumpjumer 2017 Comp Carbon, have boost. 28mm wide rims which allows for the wheel to sit wider, and can fir my 650 fatty wheels on it. Best of both worlds. They say can ride the epic with the Stumpy, although i wont try

sorry to be a pedant, but the spez traverse alu rims are 29mm internal diameter and traverse carbons are 30mm.

Howdy Hubbers,

HELP PLEASE.

BS BS BS BS

I have 100mm travel XC bike, and do quite fine. A lot of the laaities here ride their 100mm travel HTs quite fine also.

My son has ridden Helderberg Black so many times, as well as G-Spot, Coetzenburg etc on his Giant XTC Advanced SL HT, and has yet to break it. Trust me, you will not break your bike. First ride, then pay if you really want to.

Edited by Moridin

You will be fine in most places over here with your current bike. A place like Jonkershoek has plenty of options so you don't need to ride the Double Black diamond trails. Give it a go with your current bike and you might even surprise yourself...

Edited by hansolo