What goes on in your mind?

Calculus Bikes

We have been asking around what drives riders decision when they choose bikes and thought it could be interesting to hear how hubbers think.

What are your top three factors when choosing a new bike from these?

• Brand presence in SA

• Riding characteristics

• Performance of Pro riders

• Support

• Value

• Weight

Looking forward to your insights.

Thanks

CB

We have been asking around what drives riders decision when they choose bikes and thought it could be interesting to hear how hubbers think.
What are your top three factors when choosing a new bike from these?
  • Brand presence in SA
  • Riding characteristics
  • Performance of Pro riders
  • Support
  • Value
  • Weight
Looking forward to your insights.

Thanks
CB

There's a bit more to include in your list...

coolness / uniqueness of the brand

frame material (e.g. if you're a steel or Ti guy, nobody will ever sell you a carbon steed, no matter how much of the other boxes are ticked)

standard component spec (some bikes just come with a poor wheelset, sloppy fork or just a complete lucky packet mixture of groupset components (e.g. sram shifters, shimano derailleurs, avid brakes, raceface crank, ritchey post, thomsen stem etc... and that just doesn't work for me).

So to me it comes down to

1 frame material

2 component spec

3 value / coolness.  I want to say value comes 3rd, but coolness often weighs more than people like to admit...

4 support, brand presence, performance of pro riders etc. are way down on the list to me at least

riding characteristics is a function of the type of bike that you buy and the quality of your wheelset/groupset/fork etc., thus not so much the brand.  Geometry (head tube & seat tube angles, tube lengths and stuff) are 98% the same between all the major brands/manufacturers, and very few people have the ability to "feel" the marginal stiffness differences when comparing frames that are in the same price bracket.

Edited by rudi-h

• Brand presence in SA 3

• Riding characteristics 5

Performance of Pro riders 4

Support 2

Value 1

Weight 6

..uhm ja ..... having bought new bikes this year ..... here are my thoughts (and see how it changed between the two) ....

First I wanted a decent commuter .... I was overly fixated on "low gearing, due to bad knees and steep hills on my commute.  I was advised to ignore this, and get the best possible bike, then change the cluster to get the gearing sorted ... I ignored this advise and searched for the "perfect" bike.  I was in no hurry, and could take my time for the search.  So key on my mind was :

- gearing

- components

In my search I happened upon a XT Edition Merida.  VERY happy with this bike !!

The search then started for a full suspension bike for trails ....

- dealership back-up, service was top of the list

- Value for money was the main decider here (best bang for my buck in the lower price segment)

- components .... 

- a few bikes met the requirements above, but was just plain "bland" in the typical mat-black finish ..... so I surprized myself and actually did exclude a few based on looks.

- the final, and probably most important, decider - how did it FEEL on a test ride !!

What have learnt - in this modern era there are way too many options, and I wonder how many buyers even begin to understand these options or what they are actually buying ..... So though I did not have it on my list initially I am HAPPY for Mike (Specialized) and Marnitz (CWC) that took the time to guide me through "my needs" and towards the bikes that could fill those needs.

So maybe the most important item towards a satisfied client is the sales team .....

Obviously, the "snakes" would approach this from a different angle.

1. Riding Characteristics

2. Value

3. Support

But add to this uniqueness. I don't want something everyone has. And I am not talking about, rather about the whole package...

In order of importance :

Riding characteristics first and foremost.

Support (proprietary parts is a big turn-off)

Ease of self service

Value

Weight

Couldn't care less about pro-riders on it

Edited by PhilipV

can someone translate the terms into english?

what is ride characteristics?

And how do you determine value?

dont mean to nitpick, but I am considering a new bike and am thinking of my buying decision.