Alu vs. Carbon frame for a 110-120Kg rider? MTB

Mr lee

I am 105kg, carbon - no issues whatsoever.

A cool option as some have mentioned is steel. An ever cooler idea than that is the Cotic Solaris with 27.5+ wheels!

I was thinking a SOUL or the new Pipedream Sirius G4

Yeah it depends on which carbon vs which Alu..

Both can be made paper thin for race snakes (Think Cannondale Flash Alu) or bomb proof (Santa Cruz Carbon or even Giant)..

Google Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL and compare the size of the arms of the rear triangle to something like a Yeti SB95C (both carbon) and see the difference..

But in general a 1000g carbon frame is WAY stronger than a 1000g Alu frame...

I'm 107kg and ride a Turner Czar, no issues and I regularly jump gaps etc.

Edited by cpelser

I was the same carbon just never sounded wright riding it and was worried about breaking if hitting a rock but after watching the Santa video stopped. I have a tallboy carbon and stumpy carbon HT and at just shy of 100 all else aside I find the carbon to be a more comfortable ride and always ready to play on the down.

I know someone who is waaay north of that weight and rides a carbon Pyga 110 29er.  

Hundred cement. No problems. If he can't break it....

I know someone who is waaay north of that weight and rides a carbon Pyga 110 29er.  

Hundred cement. No problems. If he can't break it....

Are you sure....carbon???

???

Haha yeah never heard of a carbon 110 ever either!

That makes three of us... surprised it took that long for someone to pick it up (I'm only seeing this thread now). Perhaps he/she is talking about the Stage (?)

Must be new. Maybe released with the slackline?

???

Edited by Beefy

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I am comparing like-for-like in brand and design.

To be precise it is the Merida 96 aluminium vs. the Merida 96 carbon so not in the class of some frames mentioned here and definately not with slackened geometry...

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I am comparing like-for-like in brand and design.

To be precise it is the Merida 96 aluminium vs. the Merida 96 carbon so not in the class of some frames mentioned here and definately not with slackened geometry...

Try extend your budget to the Merida One-Sixty 5000... That is one sweet bike, full-floating and slack! The best combo for a buffalo!

Would have been my next addition if Pat hadn't decided to launch the Slakline.. CWC had a few on display recently.

Tom

I'm in your weight class and my aluminium Rocky Mountain Instinct has lasted. General concencus seems you will be fine with either carbon or aluminium as long as you shy away from pure XC bikes (i.e. try getting a trail bike). Merida One-Twenty

might be a better buy than Ninety-Six, more suspension and a bit more "meat" to the frames/components.

I'm 114 and been on a Pyga One Ten ( the aluminum one ) for just over two years without any issues. A Pike up front and a bullet proof wheel set and bobs your uncle.

I plan to go carbon at the end of the year Pyga or Santa Cruz.

I'm also over the 100kg mark.

Silverback sesta pro carbon frame

Carbon seatpost

Carbon rims

Carbon fork

Carbon bar

No issues whatsoever