Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

My first attempt as well and I have that same concern.

I'll make you a deal, if we drop off the back we'll work together.

Agreed. I think most of the people attempting the Double has a decent amount of cycling in their legs and heads, thus if people fall off there should be others to work with. At worst you just wait for the A-batch riders, who start 10mins after the DL group, however it will probably be even more difficult to latch onto those wheels... :eek:

I'm no where near the form I was in last year and haven't fully committed to a 2nd lap this year as I also need to drive back to KZN on Sunday :wacko:

But if I do end up in Benky's group on a 2nd lap shout if you going out the back and I'll give you a push. :whistling: :devil: 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no where near the form I was in last year and haven't fully committed to a 2nd lap this year as I also need to drive back to KZN on Sunday :wacko:

But if I do end up in Benky's group on a 2nd lap shout if you going out the back and I'll give you a push. :whistling: :devil:

That's going to be exciting if we yell, "Spoke" in the bunch, people will think a wheel has splintered :P

Rode with them last year. the ride is very steady. good tempo and no attacks. 

i think the first lap finished around 2:47 or so

You forgot to mention the second lap is done in about 3:00 including a lunch stop. :ph34r:

How possible is a sub 3 from G?

Will it be ok to hang back a bit and just stay with the group or would I need to chase from the start to stick with the fast guys?

Will it be ok to hang back a bit and just stay with the group or would I need to chase from the start to stick with the fast guys?

Looking at the racetec results for G last year, the first 46 people did sub3.

Last year 46 riders out of 545 in the group rode a sub-3 from G group so it’s possible. Your chances are therefore probably best to try to hang with the front guys (top 10%) as long as you don’t go to deeply into the red in doing so.

The racetec results of last year are very interesting. You can see how the probability of a sub 3 declines as you move down the groups, but interestingly enough most groups had at least 1 sub 3 finisher, even the last group to set off had one. 

So go balls-to-the-wall on the start and try to stick with the front guys and then recover after you turn right from Summit Rd into Main Rd. Wheelsuck as much as possible from there and save yourself for the final 20km which has plenty of climbing, as you probably already know.

I did a 2h57 from F last year, so I think you are in with a good chance, weather dependant...

Last year 46 riders out of 545 in the group rode a sub-3 from G group so it’s possible. Your chances are therefore probably best to try to hang with the front guys (top 10%) as long as you don’t go to deeply into the red in doing so.

The racetec results of last year are very interesting. You can see how the probability of a sub 3 declines as you move down the groups, but interestingly enough most groups had at least 1 sub 3 finisher, even the last group to set off had one. 

So go balls-to-the-wall on the start and try to stick with the front guys and then recover after you turn right from Summit Rd into Main Rd. Wheelsuck as much as possible from there and save yourself for the final 20km which has plenty of climbing, as you probably already know.

I did a 2h57 from F last year, so I think you are in with a good chance, weather dependant...

Thanks guys that helps a lot, seems like it will take some effort to achieve but possible. Might have to enter the pain cave.

So hanging back a bit from the start is obviously not an option then.

Lets get some feedback on the Expo and goodie bag.

First time in 16 starts that I’m not going to the Expo, unless my charity failed to collect my number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys that helps a lot, seems like it will take some effort to achieve but possible. Might have to enter the pain cave.

So hanging back a bit from the start is obviously not an option then.

A thorough warm-up before going to the pens might make Pooks Hill with the front of the group slightly less painful.... :ph34r:

I tried reseeding today, the queue was short but when I had to be assisted I was told that groups A to C are full :mellow:.

I will probably have to kill an hour at the finish waiting for a buddy before we return to the Vrystaat.

Is the hospitality village worth it?

Just be warned that this seems like an eternity and guage your effort to hang on... its a loooong way and there are many other climbs and sections that are going to make you hate yourself for going too quick at the start.

There is far too many that set of at mach 5 with their hair on fire and then 10km in get dropped because they burned everything.

SUSTAINABLE EFFORT ESTIMATE FOR 3HR - not 25min.

I was one of those who managed it in G last year. 

The climb at the start surprises most, but make sure you don't get dropped before Kyalami (parts are tougher than you think).

In these groups (E/F/G/H), you'll find that most of the guys can ride pretty fast, but have more limited experience with racing lines and riding (properly) in bunches (i.e. AL or BL) and that's why Kyalami splintered our group a fair amount. Try hang on.

If you find yourself dropped, chase like mad to get onto a decent size bunch on the M1... do not find yourself isolated on that highway. You'll lose >10min. With the wind at our backs this year, the time difference will probably be even greater.

Ride sensibly and fast till Douglasdale Police Station... Make sure you have a group of at least 5 guys who are willing to work. This is generally a very quick part of the route, especially through the back of Bryanston, and you can 'make up' time here.

There's still a lot of all the climbing from the turn onto Witkoppen, but if you've had a good enough first 2/3s, you should be able to crack sub-three, even if you're pushing on solo from Malibongwe (I got dropped from my little bunch of three somewhere round there)...

Edit to make it clear that most of the climbing is from Witkoppen  :whistling: 

I was one of those who managed it in G last year. 

The climb at the start surprises most, but make sure you don't get dropped before Kyalami (parts are tougher than you think).

In these groups (E/F/G/H), you'll find that most of the guys can ride pretty fast, but have more limited experience with racing lines and riding (properly) in bunches (i.e. AL or BL) and that's why Kyalami splintered our group a fair amount. Try hang on.

If you find yourself dropped, chase like mad to get onto a decent size bunch on the M1... do not find yourself isolated on that highway. You'll lose >10min. With the wind at our backs this year, the time difference will probably be even greater.

Ride sensibly and fast till Douglasdale Police Station... Make sure you have a group of at least 5 guys who are willing to work. This is generally a very quick part of the route, especially through the back of Bryanston, and you can 'make up' time here.

There's still a lot of climbing from the turn onto Witkoppen, but if you've had a good enough first 2/3s, you should be able to crack sub-three, even if you're pushing on solo from Malibongwe (I got dropped from my little bunch of three somewhere round there)...

Good detailed advice.  :thumbup:

I am in "D".  I see that half of them made sub 3 hours last year so lets hope I can hang on!!

32km average seems doable this year for my first sub 3.

Archived