Funky

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall Martin and Jeannie Dreyer did this not too long ago.

VERY much Respect!  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

We are planning on going next weekend but I had a look at the weather forecast with a min -7 and max of 11, it is going to be extremely cold.

This will be our first time, any advice for the guys that did it this time of year ?

We are planning on going next weekend but I had a look at the weather forecast with a min -7 and max of 11, it is going to be extremely cold.

This will be our first time, any advice for the guys that did it this time of year ?

Just cold, steep at the top with thin air.  Careful on the ice otherwise just do it.  

Why not?

I am also giving it a go this weekend. I think warm gloves are in order.

Hey oobafunky, 

You will not be disappointed, this was definitely one of the most beautiful rides i've done. 

One tip I'd  give you is to start early instead of midday. The pass gets quite busy, especially with taxis transporting people between the border posts. Also, those taxis drive like hooligans. 

I started out at 05:30 and got to the top without being passed once. Coming down a bit later there was much more traffic.

I did it alone and had no issues. 

Passport, rain jacket, and watch out for the descent. It gets pretty fast and is pretty loose in some spots. Also watch out for the oncoming traffic on the way down.

Below is the Strava File of my ride, so you can get an idea on times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/805505476

Enjoy it, it truly is beautiful out there,

How did you get through the border at 6:30? I thought it only opens at 8:00?

Rode Sani on Saturday, border to border. If I do it again, I'll ride from Sani Pass Hotel, as the road is in perfect condition for mtb'ing...

Last kay was tough, and in total for the 8 kays it took just under 2 hours.

Coming down is quick.

Don't forget get to take your passports.

Tom

Edited by Tatt

Rode Sani on Saturday, border to border. If I do it again, I'll ride from Sani Pass Hotel, as the road is in perfect condition for mtb'ing...

Last kay was tough, and in total for the 8 kays it took just under 2 hours.

Coming down is quick.

Don't forget get to take your passports.

Tom

Thanks will do.

We are going to stay in Himeville, so it give us about 15km to warm up the legs before hitting the climb.

Guess we picked the wrong weekend. :( 

Went past the SA border and before we could hit the hard sections we were warned by a nice couple coming down of very strong winds. Glad we made the right decision to turn around because there were a few intense moments.

We will be back, views are stunning. Perhaps next time in the summer season.

That's a bummer!!

Winter is a much better option. I used to live in the area many years ago, and the thunderstorms are lovely in summer!!

Busy trying to load the video of our cruise down to Youtube. Will share here if it ever finishes...

Tom

That's a bummer!!

Winter is a much better option. I used to live in the area many years ago, and the thunderstorms are lovely in summer!!

Busy trying to load the video of our cruise down to Youtube. Will share here if it ever finishes...

Tom

Thanks will have a look and take in consideration. Think next time we will also take an extra day for just in case. Was a bit disappointed after a 600 km drive.