UCI rules regarding riding with kids.

RyanD

I'll need way more wine to process all of that.

There's two threads of thought in this discussion. The first is focussing on the rules regarding open class racing where categories are decided purely on finished time amongst the mass start field and the rule wording for what is considered outside assistance when both of you are entered riders. As many have suggested from the OPs explanation it doesn't sound like he is doing anything dodgy and it seems like the passion of cycling is expanding through the family which can only be a good thing for your riding and racing time (and theirs! Everyone wins!) 

The second discussion point is based on the more subliminal factors. How far can you take the paired race day experience before you contravene any rules? Some are suggesting that just because you race together you have an unfair advantage. However, nothing is preventing any of the other parents from racing too. Again this is assuming that there is no cheating with pushing or similar coming into play and you're simply racing together. This all has a grey area of opinion as some consider drafting okay and others will think you're manipulating the race! How about throwing this whole idea on its head and asking this question. Who do you want your son to be when he grows up? Someone who is prepared to do whatever it takes to win and bend whatever rules he can, so that he only wins with assistance? Or would you want him to be a fully aware adult who understands the value of fair competition that feels the personal joy of rising to his own challenges whether he succeeds or fails, but knows he did his best? Once you have figured out where your focus is then you'll know what options to chose on race day!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of open class racing and from my experience particularly in the Trailseeker series.

In the 20km, there are only prize categories for u/12 and u/14 (Nipper and Sprogs)

In the 40km there are prize categories for u/16 (Sub Juniors)

And so on to 70km.... Juniors and up Elites Vets etc

A under 10 or 12 or 14 kid cannot (ok there are now a new thing about your seeding and and) enter the 40km. They race in 20km.

Take a look at the results and you will consistently see the bulk of the top 10 are u12s and 14s. These oukies do race! Very little adults feature in the top of this race. It is called the Fun race after all.

So the 20km race quickly evolves into a proper race for the youngster which is great to watch. The rest of the 'fun' riders are left behind after 100 meters!

And that is why they spot parents assisting and that is what makes it unfair and difficult to explain to the kids and by the judges. There are NO judges/commissaires on the route like in a road or XCO race. So no-one patrols this. And this is why the comm will tell you NO not allowed.

My 2c

Question, 

Was the race CSA sanctioned? If not, then who ever orginized the event can make their own (stupid) rules...

Edited by Karman de Lange

From what have read we are going to only get the OP's version and side of the story.... and when he says he is a "competitive cyclist" and "racing" with his 12yo.... then I for one do not believe that he is all innocent and there is a reason the race overseer gave some words of advice

We go to a childrens' series which is really nice and they have 2 10km races. One is for prizes, has the different age categories etc. and is timed and parents are not allowed to ride with their children and the other is not timed and parents are allowed to ride with their children. It's clearly explained beforehand and you choose which race you do. Same course exactly. It's more for the younger children though.

I did a 40km race back in 2010 at Blythedale Coastal resort, the 20km route shared a part of the 40km track with us. Usual start with 40km off first followed by 20km.

Not my day, chain snapped about 15km's in, so I fixed and got going just as the top of the 20km field reached me.

It was my first ever nasty incident in a MTB race (last one too) after many years of taking part; super aggressive mother with her son ahead of her swearing and shouting at all and sundry " GIVE TRACK, PASSING RIGHT and then FFS CAN'T YOU PEOPLE &*%$# RACE!" so junior could stay ahead of his opponents. Nasty and unpleasant, everyone pitied the poor child.

The rules are clear brother, 5mins behind the boy, teach him to find his own way and a race strategy, you won't be able to hold his hand all the time, give the laaitie some space to develop on his own.

Edit: I admire that you want to be there for him and help, but just think about the other kids doing this ace out with mom and dad waiting at the end for the result.

Edited by Ed-Zulu

I am glad that I am not involved in this discussion for a change.

No idea why, but THE HUB is whack these days

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

you forgot the #justsayingignoreme hash tag

Edit: I admire that you want to be there for him and help, but just think about the other kids doing this ace out with mom and dad waiting at the end for the result.

This /\

By the OP's own statement the boy is competing in his age group, any on course participation / coaching / assistance by a parent is going to be viewed as unfair.

Getting lost is a concern, even adults get lost and for young children this could be potentially dangerous.

Perhaps stick to shorter xco lap racing and leave the marathon type events until he is old enough to look after himself if he gets lost.

Xco is a much better way to develop your racing skills as a laatjie.

In KZN in the "Quattro Roag series" they have started putting all the sprogs in the A batch alone due to parents helping their kids in the past.

They mentioned this at the Husqvarna Classic at the start of the 18km ride. There was some father bitching and when the B batch started which he was in he went racing off to catch his son.

So yea there is a reason why they are doing it.