Fight Fans: Mayweather vs Mcgregor

Imploder

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bit of a rant on twitter yesterday. Conor looses a fight and all of a sudden we have masses of people that all of a sudden know everything about UFC as if they watch it 24/7. Anyone that follows me on twitter, Instagram or whatsapp status will know I am an avid fan and my TL is full of UFC.

I am not defending Conor but he has done a lot for the sport. I have been watching UFC since before Conor made it big, flip man, I was even watching the first time these 2 fought. Love or hate him and his antics, he is an amazing athlete that puts everything into a fight and that includes getting people hyped up beforehand. The nonsense that went on before the Khabib fight was such a laugh but it made sure that we would watch that fight(admittedly it's a lot easier for us DSTV subscribers as we don't have to PPV). Conor needs to stop retiring and just fight.

Anyway I have been a fan of Dustin for a while now and was obviously rooting for him so I was happy. He probably lost that first round 10-9 but only just, those calf kicks were brutal but we all know a good head shot gets more style points with the judges than a leg kick and Conor did land a few.

Michael Chandler.................wow I didn't see that one coming and neither did Dan Hooker. This guy will become a high ranked contender very fast. He had next to no leather landed on him so can potentially can have a quick turn around. Who does he fight next? I don't think it's fair to let him fight a top 5 or 6 ranked guy as they should all be given the chance for the title depending on what Khabib decides to do. Maybe Nate Diaz if he can stay off the weed long enough(although I believe the UFC have now removed it from their banned substance list).

I had a bit of a rant on twitter yesterday. Conor looses a fight and all of a sudden we have masses of people that all of a sudden know everything about UFC as if they watch it 24/7. ....

It happens man. Some people just capture the masses and bring eyes to the (fringe) sports. Floyd sort of did it for boxing, although that sport has had a few good characters. Lance did it for cycling. Bolt did it for athletics. Alex Honnold climbing. Phelps swimming. McGregor certainly did it for mma.

It happens man. Some people just capture the masses and bring eyes to the (fringe) sports. Floyd sort of did it for boxing, although that sport has had a few good characters. Lance did it for cycling. Bolt did it for athletics. Alex Honnold climbing. Phelps swimming. McGregor certainly did it for mma.

Couldn't you argue that it was McGregor and Ronda?

Couldn't you argue that it was McGregor and Ronda?

I was actually going to write her down too, so ja I agree she was a huge part. 

But did she time rising mma popularity perfectly to make herself famous, and then head off elsewhere and lose it all along the way. Or did she herself make mma 'famous'? If you see what I mean. dunno

I was actually going to write her down too, so ja I agree she was a huge part. 

But did she time rising mma popularity perfectly to make herself famous, and then head off elsewhere and lose it all along the way. Or did she herself make mma 'famous'? If you see what I mean. dunno

Good point and I don't really have an answer 

In the same light I wouldn't say connor is famous for MMA , I'd say he's famous for sh#t talking and he may be the best in the world at it. But I think of 5 fighters I'd say have A better fighting pedigree 

I think MMA and the UFC just rode the wave of popularity those two gained while they were coming up in MMA 

• 3 weeks later...

Gilbert certainly had Kamaru's attention in the first round but at the end of the day he never really stood a chance. Usman is in a class of his own in that division. 

ALSO, Burns is the #1 ranked contender and got TKO in R3. Masvidal went 5 rounds at short notice with no training camp against Usman. That just shows how bad @ss Jorge is.

I see a lot of people want Usman to fight GSP, flip man he has been away for long now man and he is old, I don't think that fight should happen tbh.

Wonderboy tweeted he is keen to fight the champ and that he is the only top 5 ranked guy not to fight Usman. I think Dana has a big decision to make.

Also, can Nate Diaz just get his @ss kicked already. 

• 2 months later...

Going to be a good weekend for us fight fans.

Ben Askren and Jake Paul going to box. I am not sure what to think of this but I am looking forward to it. The lead up has been good to watch.

Then one of the most stacked cards ever at the UFC. 3 title fights. I am going with Shevchenko(and still), Zhang(and still) and Masvidal(and new).

Hmm Jorge going to have to pull something out the bag(Ben Askren flying knee kinda stuff) but if there is anyone who can take that belt from Usman it's him. He went 5 rounds against him with virtually no camp so now he has had time to prepare I hope it will be a much better fight. I hope he can add another belt to his BMF title.

Is that boxing match this weekend ? Can we even wqtch it in RSA ?

Next week is going to be wild , rooting for Masvidal

Ah man I am a week out. Thought that was this weekend. This weekend I hope Whittaker can get the W.

Yeah the boxing match is tomorrow. It's not on TV as far as I know but I am sure we can find it streaming somewhere.

Ah man I am a week out. Thought that was this weekend. This weekend I hope Whittaker can get the W.

Yeah the boxing match is tomorrow. It's not on TV as far as I know but I am sure we can find it streaming somewhere.

Also been A long time fan of Whittaker 

Man I have to find it but i think its going to be pretty even , jake has the advantage imo 

But let Ben grab him and he's dead 

Also been A long time fan of Whittaker 

Man I have to find it but i think its going to be pretty even , jake has the advantage imo 

But let Ben grab him and he's dead 

I'm seriously looking forward to the trilogy between Dustin and Conor in July. Hope Dustin KOs Conor again early on and makes it 2-1.

I'm seriously looking forward to the trilogy between Dustin and Conor in July. Hope Dustin KOs Conor again early on and makes it 2-1.

Looks like Conor is still here in Dubai. From what I’ve seen on his social media. Surprised he’s not back home training, although might be the COVID lockdown rules back in Ireland not being good.

• 3 weeks later...

YOH that spinning elbow was BRUTAL. Not even going to attempt to spell the dudes name right but I hope we see him fight again soon.

Last week......... sjoe also a good fight night. Chris Weidmans shin, man that looked unpleasant to say the least. Then the other dudes "dead leg", what a perfectly placed leg kick. The 3 title fights were top class. Didn't think Usman would make such short work of Jorge but kudo's to them both. Big respect between them. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else get up really early this morning for Mayweather vs Paul?

The moment I saw that there would be no judges and the result wouldn't affect their professional results I knew it wouldn't be a good fight and it showed. The ref spent so much time separating them. 

BUT I must say, Logan has a big gas tank, I was impressed he lasted so long.

It also shows why there are weight divisions, as good as Floyd is, he couldn't really make much of an impact on Logan. Floyd is still super fast though.

Both guys commented on how impressed they were with their opponents.

Now just to wait for Jake Paul against Tyron Woodley.