Fork It!

AlanD

Hubland,

I am contemplating getting a new fork to rid myself of the evil that is OD2. After some googling I have a few that are in the mix but feel free to make suggestions.

The intended use will be All Mountain so something burly that can make up for my lack of skill. It will be fitted to my Trance Advanced so has to look the part too.

This is what I have in mind:

1) MRP Stage

2) MAttoc Pro 2

3) X Fusion Sweep RC

4) RS Pike

Trying to stay within the 11k mark taking into account I am now in the UK so a lot cheaper and standard shipping.

What say thee?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRP or Pike... The X-Fusion is not in the same league... a fox 34 Isn't a bad option either.

The Mattoc has been given brilliant reviews but both the MRP and the Pike have brilliant aftr sales services in SA.

MRP, MRP, MRP. The Stage is by far the best fork I have ridden. It just lends itself to a complete custom set-up, from rebound to air volume. The built in ramp control cartridge is what convinced me to go for it and I was very surprised by just how supple it is. I have in the mean time sold the bike the Stage was on, but am now going to be putting a Ribbon (same damper, just 35mm stanchions and boost spacing) on a new project - and really looking forward to it. I highly doubt I will ever be using another brand than MRP in the future.

My experience has been with a Fox 34 (Fit 4 Damper), and Pike RCT3 - cannot comment on how the Stage compares with other brands.

On top of that, the after sales service provided by Trailtech (MRP agents in SA), is just amazing.

That being said, you will also be very happy with a Pike or Fox 34, just not as nice as the Stage IMO.

+1 for MRP Stage.

As mentioned before on a different thread, I am on my 4th Loop / Stage, having used them on 26, 27.5 and 29 and nothing comes close in terms of small bump compliance, tunability, their unique ramp control settings ....

And yes I have compared to the Pike / Yari / Lefty / Fox 34 / Fox 36 / DVO ..... still MRP all the way for me.

The Mattoc is a great fork in all it's guises and if you add the IRT then you've got a killer 35mm legged beast that is adjustable to 170mm for well under half your budget. I love my Mattoc 1 above my Pike. Not sure why but to just rides better in the way I want. 

The Pike has been the benchmark and is still a great fork for 'set and go' and you can up grade to the Vorsprung Luffekappe to make it even better. 

I'd be keen to check the Stage and was looking about for one. Reports sound really good but have no knowledge of them but at the same price as the Mattoc over there... it's temping especially with the ramp control. 

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/suspension-forks-c52/mrp-stage-fork-p9621

Nice problem to have!

The Mattoc is a great for in all it's guises and if you add the IRT then you've got a killer 35mm legged beast that is adjustable to 170mm for well under half your budget. I love my Mattoc 1 above my Pike. Not sure why but to just rides better in the way I want. 

The Pike has is still a great for for set and go and you can up grade to the Vorsprung Luffekappe to make it even better. 

I'd be keen to check the Stage and was looking about for one. Reports sound really good but have no knowledge of them but at the same price as the Mattoc over there... it's temping especially with the ramp control. 

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/suspension-forks-c52/mrp-stage-fork-p9621

Nice problem to have!

I also saw that on triton cycles (cheapest by far) but it says they out of stock :-(. I think that was the 2016 model as they have the 2017 at £899.

The next cheapest for the stage is £699.99...eish, still a lot of moola.

It is a nice problem to have but a not so nice problem is that I kinda need that money for something else but trying to swindle a plan...hahaha

I can say I love my sweep with HLR cartridge puure magic.

Mate of mine has the mattoc pro 2 with IFP and loving it. Its also a very simple fork to maintain yourself.

Only bummer is the stage doesn't have boost....so may have to give my new one up ????

Only bummer is the stage doesn't have boost....so may have to give my new one up ????

Replace with a Ribbon. They have identical dampers. Ribbon just has 35mm stanchions.

damn wont get a fork for cheaper than that

Wait until Black Friday and chances are they'll be 50% of that! They were last year. 

There's a reason the Pike's been the benchmark and shootout winner for years now. Such a great set and forget option. And besides...black stanchions!!

Archived