[Event] Ladismith Cheese 7weekspoort MTB Challenge

Dryland Event Management

Event Name: Ladismith Cheese 7weekspoort MTB Challenge
When: 30 September 2017
Where: Ladismith High School, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The Ladismith Cheese 7weekspoort MTB Challenge, in the spectacular landscape of the title town, and its neighbouring missionary villages in the Klein Karoo, is a real classic. In the beginning there were 190 entries but the word is out and now, every October, they flock in from all sides of the Western and Southern Cape. Catering for families and different levels of expertise, there are well over a thousand riders who enter for the generous spread of three perfectly balanced routes and, operating under the Dryland organisational banner, there is also the guarantee of flawless logistics and pampering comforts.

Riders will experience the raw scenic majesty of the poort itself – a geological riot underscored by a botanical circus – on a ride paced to make you know you’ve had your physical moneys-worth in addition to the almost overwhelming scenic value. Convenient, accessible and comfortable… One of South Africa’s greatest one-dayers!

Start Venue: Amalienstein Packing shed, Amalienstein, Western Cape

Finish Venue: Ladismith High School, Ladismith, Western Cape

2017 ENTRY FEE OF RACES:

82km – R395

40km – R230

26km – R105

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...

drove back via the 7-weeks-poort yesterday.

Nice rain over the weekend.

Stream is flowing gently.

Road in GOOD nick.

We will be in the Northern Cape on the 30th, well on the way back after a business trip.  Wish I could have done this race.

ENJOY !!

drove back via the 7-weeks-poort yesterday.

Nice rain over the weekend.

Stream is flowing gently.

Road in GOOD nick.

We will be in the Northern Cape on the 30th, well on the way back after a business trip. Wish I could have done this race.

ENJOY !!

Thanks for this update... gonna be my 1st time doing it...but first up is k2c..won a entry on friday .....lol

Morning.. anyone else doing this the weekend. Any advice???

Yes, my wife and i are doing the event. Me the 80km and the wife the 40km. Unfortunately can't give you advice as this will be my first time doing this event, but from what i heard from mates doing this in the past it's a good one. Really looking forward to the riding through the poort...

Morning.. anyone else doing this the weekend. Any advice???

My advice, if you want to "race" be there early, mass start with no seeding (or at least thats how it was when I last did it) - so the first few kilometers on jeep track can be very frustrating if you are stuck in mid, back bunch.

Also, it doesn't really feel like it because the climb is gradual but the ride up Seweweekspoort is a proper workout, then coming back down the poort you feel like a pro racing 40km/h + on the gradual downhill (the fun part of the race) - end result when you exit the poort you have burned way too many matches and there is still a proper 30km left with lots of little climbs to hurt your tired legs - so at least be mentally prepared that when your are done with 7weekspoort your race is far from over!

yes what Skubarra said, the poort going up is a burner and it just get harder specialy when you want to stick to a faster bunch. Wind was terrible last year comming down the poort and will probably be the same this year. Pick a nice bunch and stick to them. 

The advice in posts #7 and #8 above covers just about everything... there is indeed a bit of a sting in the tail just when you think you are cruising.

It seems the race will be about 3km longer this year as it will now ends at the Showgrounds and no longer at the school.

Hopefully the extra 3km will be all downhill on a smooth surface   :P

My advice, if you want to "race" be there early, mass start with no seeding (or at least thats how it was when I last did it) - so the first few kilometers on jeep track can be very frustrating if you are stuck in mid, back bunch.

Also, it doesn't really feel like it because the climb is gradual but the ride up Seweweekspoort is a proper workout, then coming back down the poort you feel like a pro racing 40km/h + on the gradual downhill (the fun part of the race) - end result when you exit the poort you have burned way too many matches and there is still a proper 30km left with lots of little climbs to hurt your tired legs - so at least be mentally prepared that when your are done with 7weekspoort your race is far from over!

Thanjs for that info

Just for some perspective, rode the area earlier this year and was surprised to see this on Strava

Coming up from Calitzdorp on the Huisrivier pass you climb 400m in 6km, the 7Weeks is 480m over 17km  - so technically its the bigger climb of the 2! (obviously the more forgiving gradient helps)

Just for some perspective, rode the area earlier this year and was surprised to see this on Strava

Coming up from Calitzdorp on the Huisrivier pass you climb 400m in 6km, the 7Weeks is 480m over 17km  - so technically its the bigger climb of the 2! (obviously the more forgiving gradient helps)

Alot!!!!

Think the poort race is going to be a quiet one this year, most k2c guys and all of my mates are resting for the tour de plett coming up next weekend and the nissan trailseeker(wp marathon) is in hermanus this weekend. Between those 2 races the poort is actually a bit on the boring side.  

• 3 years later...

Re-opening this thread for some advise.

I've entered for the 2021 edition (Covid-pending)

Can you ride this on a gravel bike or is a mtb the preferred choice?

I felt like there is some vague mention of single track in the 40km route and not sure if the 80km will also be traversing some of this.