Oval Chainring advise

Face Plant

I'm assuming he's referring to freehub body/cassette spacing. I'd also worry about it. 1x can be a bit annoying if the alignment isn't perfect, even when it is actually. sometimes if you back pedal on some gears it's a bit crunchy 

I knew someone with a setup like this

Just replaced the front crank with a shimano 2x one and added the shifter and derailleur

Worked great

I knew someone with a setup like this

Just replaced the front crank with a shimano 2x one and added the shifter and derailleur

Worked great

I think it can be made to work but there's going to be limited range since the 1x rear dérailleurs don't have a spring in the mounting knuckle anylonger, there's just a bit of movement to allow the derailleur to articulate in an impact. Might need to keep the chain ring sizes close together like 28/34 or 24/32.

I would like to give oval chainring a shot, but if I thought 38T round was scarce, oval seems to be almost impossible to find.

Can anyone point to where (locally) I can get a: NW, 104 bcd, 38T, Oval chainring?

Edited by Theog