What size N/W ring do you use?

Kalahari Vegmot

What size N/W ring do you use?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What size N/W chainring do you use?

• 28t
    • 28t Oval
    • 30t
    • 30t Oval
    • 32t
    • 32t Oval
    • 34t
    • 34t Oval
    • 36t
    • 36t Oval
    • 38t
    • 38t Oval

Currently using Rapidé 30T w/ 11-42T. 

Legs weren't that strong at the beginning. 

But will go to a Rapidé 32T Oval as my next chainring.

Simply love Rapidé, affordable and superb quality! Very happy with them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested to know what size N/W chainring YOU are using on your 1x setup...

If you've got multiple bikes, which is the one you use most often?

I think wheelsize matters too though.  The bigger the wheel, the smaller the average ring will usually be.

Do you have different chains as well? Or does chain length not have such a big impact?

If the chain is exactly the right length it just works for all or alternatively you could drop a link for the 32 and add 1 for the 36.

Oh and they are all round none oval - not a fan of a chain hopping around on a bike getting shaken around already over the rough stuff - to me that just spells chain-drop IMO.

Using XTR rear derailleur on X01 Cassette with XTR chain with KMC Quicklinks - it works for me without issues. ^_^

34 oval, 11-34 9-speed...

got oval to help a bit with the steep stuff, much better!

recently fitted an  thirteen 9 - 46 - so will try out other chainring options - but was on a 32t with 11 - 42 cassette

34 oval, 11-42, gets me up most hills at a decent pace. I was using a chain device, a but it broke, and I haven't got around to replacing it. If the chain never came off last Sat, it will never come off, so I'm not worrying about replacing it. On a 29er hardcore hardtail.

One bike 32T Absolute Black Oval with 11-42 and other bike 30T Absolute Black Oval with 11-42.  Considering 30T for both.  Spinning on flats is less concerning than crunching on hills for me

One bike running a Absolute Black std 30T and another running a Racefce Aeffect Cinch 28T (came with the groupset and haven't been a***d to change it... and to undermine my tough guy credentials it's paired with a 11 - 46 @ the rear!)  

:)

36T round ring up front with 11-42 Sunrace 10 speed cassette at the rear.

Still yet to use my 42T...

34t Oval cSixx DM and 11-46 Sunrace on a 29'er.  Only Iconic had me step down. Everything else I've been able to ride on that ratio; and I have used the 46 a couple of times.
Have a 32t DM if one day I need to ride up walls.

Archived