Saddle Bag

NE1L

Chirp of the day.

I see Patch has not been himself lately.

Almost a bit bitter at life.

Reminds me of me back in the day on the Hub......

They grow up so fast.........

WTF?

Im pretty sure I have been very light hearted here?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still looking for alternatives to having a saddle bag... I was contemplating using a bottle to hide the multitool and tubes etc. (so it looks like I just have 2 bottles) but I cannot finish a race on just 1 bottle and stopping at water points are for the slow. :ph34r: and big 750ml bottles is not cool either.

Note:

1. you may not have a saddle bag EVER.

2. You may not use large bidons (500ml max) - you are not a tanker truck

3. You HAVE to finish your 100km ride on only the 2 bidons on your bike (1.5 bidon is consumed - the other 1/2 bidon is emptied out at 2-3km to go as to intimidate your rivals as you mean business in the sprint) unless you have a support vehicle that can supply additional bidons.

4. You may not ever DROP a bidon - you  may jettison bidons to the side of the road. You may NEVER go back for a dropped bidon either.

I've recently started putting my spares on my bike...I know I know, the shame, the guilt, the vomit when looking at my bike....

I use a velcro strap to tie one inner tube and a multitool, and then my pump is frame mounted with a few zip ties and glueless patches in its little storage department. So technically I don't have a saddle bag.

So I am still qualified to diss perpatrators to Rule#31.

So, BEAT THIS BASTARD WITH MINI PUMPS!!!!!!!

I use an old sock. Fits two tubes, with longer valves Nogal, a mini pump, some gels, some cash, a valve core tool, a Schrader adapter, quick links, and Tyre levers. It fits perfectly into the middle pocket on my shirt, and I have a small multitool and two bombs that roll with my house Keys. Have never run out of pocket space, and don't have to lose my dignity while riding, or during a mechanical. And it's a sock, so you can go crazy with the colors and whatnot, and it's cheap as chips too! Only downside is not being waterproof, but anything in there can get wet. My phone goes in a zip lock anyway.

post-43682-0-52920300-1501249527_thumb.jpg

Rules schmules. I have a lezyne mini pump attached to my frame and I have probably used it about 10 times to help out other riders and I think in the past 2 years I have only used it for my own bike once.

So my alternative to a saddlebag was first a tool tube, which I got over pretty quickly because I needed 2 bottles for those long rides. 

At present I'm using a DIY version of this Spez Bandit SWAT stuff (I just did a home made velcro strap, and its perfect)

post-41725-0-36324300-1501251279_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-66977200-1501251289_thumb.jpg

And keeping my multitool here, Spez EMT stuff

post-41725-0-29674000-1501251314_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-96968500-1501251321_thumb.jpg

I must say, the multitool in that location is perfect. Just grab it whenever you need without unpacking a saddlebag or tool tube. The only problem is you will be taking it out for all your friends to use, more than you use it yourself, because its too much effort for them to get theirs out of their own saddlebags lol.

As for the DIY Bandit, also great. Have x1 tyre lever, x1 CO2 canister, CO2 inflator adapter and tube. Pump is attached to my frame, and looks quite sexy there. However, these are things I tend to never use, so if I could I would just leave them at home but always carry them for just-in-case. 

Nice alternatives to saddlebags IMO.

Couldn't you just put the bomb and tube in your pocket

Wow the only smart suggestion on this thread (if a little master of the obvious )

:thumbup:  K.I.S.S

Archived