Trail running to help with fitness when time is limited

Theunissa

Running is a great way to improve your cycling. Especially if you have limited time. I find an hour trail run far more beneficial than an hour on the bike.

Someone mentioned starting on road to prevent injury. I don't really agree with this. Because of the uneven surface there is far less chance of repetitive strain injuries often associated with running on tar. Don't get me wrong, trail is a lot tougher than road running and I reckon best is to start slow and easy as previously suggested. What I can add is when starting out, choose a short trail and run this regularly. It will allow you to get used to the trail - less chance of falling or being surprised or twisting an ankle. Once confident move on to other or more advanced trails. Enjoy it, it is a fantastic way to get out there. I am always conflicted about what I prefer, trail running or mtbing!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first rule of running:  walk before you run

second rule of running:  plan your training program and then half the distances (slower is better)

third rule of running: go far then go fast

fourth rule of running: shoes are the foundation.  If you get ITB then your shoes are shot.  Log your shoes km's.  At 400km assess the shoes.

fifth rule of running:  Rest and recover.  Listen to your body.  Injuries and over-training are ALWAYS around the corner.

This is very good advice. I have been doing trail running and mountain biking for 9 years now. They complement each other beautifully, in terms of general fitness and endurance, but especially on the uphills (running AND biking). Do both if you can OP - you won't regret it.

I found it just tires my legs. Note that I am a complete running noob, so it might just be my body still adapting...

Unfortunately most people's egos won't allow them to walk, walk further, or walk more.

Running takes adapting too. There are muscle groups, joints, tendons, and a mirriad of other things (breathing, heart rate, etc) that suddenly have to deal with a weight bearing activity it's not used to.

The younger we are, the more pronounced this inability to listen to logic when starting this exhilarating form of exercise. Most people run too far, too fast too frequent and then have exactly your response and ... stop.

Unlike cycling, running is weight bearing throughout the whole activity, not just when climbing hills, and the jarring impact of running take some getting used to. If you go slower then you think you can, you could probably do even better tapping of some more. Slower is better, period.

In the long run, its most enjoyable, especially when time is tight and fitting in a 30min run is more possible then fitting in a 2 hr ride.

I found it just tires my legs. Note that I am a complete running noob, so it might just be my body still adapting...

I would suggest that is exactly what it is. No harm in that if you admit it off the bat.

As a general rule be a bit more circumspect before rubbishing something so quickly if you have little to no aptitude for it to be founded.

Bandying ill advised opinion about as fact is dangerous. People get offended  :ph34r:  :eek:

OP would like to hear feedback once you have done this for a month or so.

I've been running only for close to a year, did my first mtb ride two weeks ago. I managed but my legs were pretty stuffed at around 35km not to mention my arse was moer sore. So I finished a 40k ride but it was not as easy as it was when I only cycled.

I've been running only for close to a year, did my first mtb ride two weeks ago. I managed but my legs were pretty stuffed at around 35km not to mention my arse was moer sore. So I finished a 40k ride but it was not as easy as it was when I only cycled.

was it the lionman? I loved that race. so far its my favourite. I got a good time too.

was it the lionman? I loved that race. so far its my favourite. I got a good time too.

No it was just a spruit cruise. I hear Lionman is super cool!

I take it you want to do trail runs? 

Take a look at:

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/training/run-your-best-5-k-or-10-k-in-6-weeks/

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/5-K-TRAINING-PROGRAMME.pdf

3 sessions per week should suit almost any time limited schedule. 

thanks for this. I will look into it

This is the most critical advise regarding running. You have to built up very gradually to avoid injuries. Cycling fitness means bugger-all for running, it just gives you the illusion that you're fit and you can just hit the pavement. Resist that temptation.

I would get running fit - build up to about 10k fitness - before hitting trails. Trail running is a completely different beast and if you can't run consistently, you're looking for trouble. (Unless of course you run flat trails and not mountains.) 

Use something like parkrun for motivation and getting into it. Again - take it easy initially. Don't just go klap the 5k just because everybody else does it! 

Given that you don't injure yourself by starting to hard, it does help with fitness. If nothing else, a 30min run will anyways do more good than to sitting on the couch. And that was the space where I started running from...

Just beware - it's a bug that bites.  :ph34r:  I've heard...  :whistling: 

I don't like doing anything on the road. I mountain bike, 4x4, and want to run/walk trails.

I lrent on a plot with 2x 8ha pieces of land. I have 2 mini trails(where the cows walk and fire breaks) one is 2km the other is about 3km on one loop. the closest tar is 4km away. but will take it slow. luckily its very flat here.

OP would like to hear feedback once you have done this for a month or so.

I will remember to do that

This is very good advice. I have been doing trail running and mountain biking for 9 years now. They complement each other beautifully, in terms of general fitness and endurance, but especially on the uphills (running AND biking). Do both if you can OP - you won't regret it.

uphill is a bit of a problem here. but we have enough thick sand. that does the same to me.

Thank you to everyone's advice and input. I will never trade in my bike for shoes. I did try and run 3k 6months ago at a 6/km and could walk for a week, I couldn't even cycle. i had that idea in my head "i can cycle for 40km in 2.5 hrs, so i can run 5k's at a relative pace. I will keep it slow and paced.

No it was just a spruit cruise. I hear Lionman is super cool!

it was. but people suffered in that sand. they had about 100m of very thick sand around the first corner and just after that the two biggest climbs. 10k in it felt like ive done 40

Running 3 to 4 times a week works well for me - hill session, recovery, track session in the week, one longer run on the weekend. I only do 1x ride per week.

I find that my base fitness transfers well to the bike, and shorter, high intensity efforts have improved. I run out of base fitness on rides longer than 2hr, especially events/races.

I have also kind of started earlier in the year.

Basically a brisk walk up platteklip gorge for 30min. When 30min has elapsed, I turn around and run down. Obviously in places I cant. However I def need new shoes, and havent done it now in about 4 months as sunset was to early and then we fasted last month. Was supposed to start tom, but still dont have shoes.

I could see how I was improving every week as my distance over 30min would increase weekly.

All good advice. I found running helps the lungs, which is interchangeble between the sports. As mentioned, start slow and short. Everyone has this thing that running is so cost efective, untill you over do it and the physio bills start rolling in. Invest in PROPER shoes,be it trail running shoes or road shoes. Be ware of the so called informed sales people at shops like sportsmans, rather pay R200 more for the right fit and shoe at a running specific shop. Running is very addictive sport, so be ware.

Great info so far. You will enjoy it once your body adapts. It's normal for your legs to be very sore the next day. Especially on stairs. This will pass after a few runs and then you can build from there.

I loved the running as an option especially when away from home and it's not possible to take a bike.

Very good advice here! Running definitely helps cycling, but don't stay off the bike completely. I once did a cycle race with just running in the legs and started cramping badly even though I did not feel (that) tired. Now I try do use running for intensity training and cycling for endurance.