Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy!

I braai'ed a few weeks ago for a friend who moved to the U.K. The missus says she's braai'ed out, so I'll probably braai again closer to Christmas or on Christmas day.

Also don't understand this braai'ed out thing...

Was in Moz last weekend for few days from Thurs to Tues. Braai'ed 6 times whilst there, and promptly braai'ed again when we got home Tuesday.

Also don't understand this braai'ed out thing...

Was in Moz last weekend for few days from Thurs to Tues. Braai'ed 6 times whilst there, and promptly braai'ed again when we got home Tuesday.

Ja I think the missus is tired of the red meat on the braai, yet she doesn't mind if I cook us red meat in the kitchen every second evening for dinner. I need to learn how to braai fish and other fishy things as something else to munch on a Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

Ja I think the missus is tired of the red meat on the braai, yet she doesn't mind if I cook us red meat in the kitchen every second evening for dinner. I need to learn how to braai fish and other fishy things as something else to munch on a Sunday afternoon.

I know you didn't ask, but when it comes to fish you'll need to teach yourself what it is you like and how you like it.

Fish is very person specific especially on the braai and you need to work through a few pieces and whole fish to get to what you like.

Experimentation is key and keeping your eye on the fish is 80% of the process, don't be shy to test as you go off the grid and some whole fish are superb when braaied on the scales only - red roman, slingers come to mind.

Some fish are dual purpose; swordfish; good for pan fry but also delectable when steamed with lemon grass water...a new world of yummy awaits you :thumbup:

And when all else fails, sardines over the coals FTW

Edited by Ed-Zulu

I know you didn't ask, but when it comes to fish you'll need to teach yourself what it is you like and how you like it.

Fish is very person specific especially on the braai and you need to work through a few pieces and whole fish to get to what you like.

Experimentation is key and keeping your eye on the fish is 80% of the process, don't be shy to test as you go off the grid and some whole fish are superb when braaied on the scales only - red roman, slingers come to mind.

Some fish are dual purpose; swordfish; good for pan fry but also delectable when steamed with lemon grass water...a new world of yummy awaits you :thumbup:

And when all else fails, sardines over the coals FTW

You got some solid advice there, tell us on Monday how the fish braai went... ;)

You got some solid advice there, tell us on Monday how the fish braai went... ;)

Well I'm thinking of braai'ing tomorrow with tomorrow being a holiday [emoji14]

I thought lamb was expensive, but fish? Cheese and rice, R102,93 for two Kingklip sosaties from Checkers. I made it up by getting two packs of chicken sosaties. Will be doing mushrooms and braai broodjies as well. We have hake fillets in the freezer from our previous visit to the grocery store.

Our LBS ( local butcher shop ) has lamb ribs on special for R69/kg still with the belly flap on.......eish they are good on the braai. There must be an over supply due to all the roasts being ordered or something but they have had them at that price for a few weeks now.

With the price of Lamb I assume you posted in the Xmas Bonus thread as well? :ph34r:

No I'm a sheep farmer, the meat is payment for accommodation in Cape Town, and for dog sitting my two dogs, plus we'll be eating a lot of it, it's cheaper than buying in Cape Town, and far cheaper than eating out. I pay bonuses, I don't receive them  :whistling: 

No I'm a sheep farmer, the meat is payment for accommodation in Cape Town, and for dog sitting my two dogs, plus we'll be eating a lot of it, it's cheaper than buying in Cape Town, and far cheaper than eating out. I pay bonuses, I don't receive them  :whistling:

In that case my condolences. Was a rough 2 years!!!! My family farms in Burgersdorp, still very little sign of the drought letting up. Enjoy the braai!!!! I'm off to go do veg shopping, got a potjie today! :clap:

Well I'm thinking of braai'ing tomorrow with tomorrow being a holiday [emoji14]

I thought lamb was expensive, but fish? Cheese and rice, R102,93 for two Kingklip sosaties from Checkers. I made it up by getting two packs of chicken sosaties. Will be doing mushrooms and braai broodjies as well. We have hake fillets in the freezer from our previous visit to the grocery store.

Don't you live in Durban..? Why are you buying fish in Checkers..? ;)

I must say, I've never bought fish sosaties, but I often buy whole or filleted fish from the fishmonger in the Checkers Hyper. a few things, like angel fish, is only about R70.00 a kilo. 

I see a pork rib and wors braai in my near future.....leaving Kuwait tonight after 11weeks.

I might even braai bacon just for the hell of it!

Lekka pics on here, am salivating!

I guess you are going to pig out..? ;)