To TT or not to TT?

MarkW

Here's the advice we give our athletes regarding TT bikes.  What's really important when it comes to TT frames is stack and reach - that's the critical dimension - some frames like the European ones are typically long and low, and some American Geometry frames are shorter and higher.  And if you have long legs and a short upper body, no matter how much you love that new frame, if it doesn't have a stack and reach that suits you, you will never get the best benefit.  What we recommend is to go and have yourself measured at a reputable bike fit expert - There are a few, but we recommend Retul.  Once you know your body dimensions, the fitter will stick those into the database of frames (similar to this https://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/road.php) and you can then select which brand will suit you.

We have a very good case study where someone was riding an ex Liquigas D2 Bianchi Chrono team bike - Full Carbon, Record, Zipp Vuka, the works.  Probably a R70k bike at the time.  Long and low.  Like the Europeans love.  We moved her to a R25000 Cannondale Slice 5 - Hardly the epitome of Aero.  But the stack and reach were more suited to her body style.  She knocked 30mins off her best IM bike at Kona, and ran a 3:30 marathon to finsh the fastest SA age-grouper that year.  Largely because she was on a bike that fitted her perfectly.

Sometimes I think us South Africans are more interested in brands names, and less interested in what actually works for us.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how accurate that sizing calculator is - although considering they only sell online i would imagine they want to get it right 99.9% of the time to avoid customer complaints.

Using that calculator I was told that I needed to get a medium size, but when I measured up my bike that I was riding i was well within the large size so ordered the large and I am very happy I did!  I am not at all stretched out on it and there are so many adjustments that you can make to get comfortable on the bike that I recommend you rather measure up your current bike and compare that to the frame geometry on the site.  In case it has any relevance I'm 1.8m tall and bought the CF9.0 with mavic rims in large.

I am 1.81m tall, so sounds like the Women's M will be too small for me. I also have longer legs and a shorter torso. Thanks for this. I would have ordered a M and probably would have been too small. 

Here's the advice we give our athletes regarding TT bikes.  What's really important when it comes to TT frames is stack and reach - that's the critical dimension - some frames like the European ones are typically long and low, and some American Geometry frames are shorter and higher.  And if you have long legs and a short upper body, no matter how much you love that new frame, if it doesn't have a stack and reach that suits you, you will never get the best benefit.  What we recommend is to go and have yourself measured at a reputable bike fit expert - There are a few, but we recommend Retul.  Once you know your body dimensions, the fitter will stick those into the database of frames (similar to this https://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/road.php) and you can then select which brand will suit you.

We have a very good case study where someone was riding an ex Liquigas D2 Bianchi Chrono team bike - Full Carbon, Record, Zipp Vuka, the works.  Probably a R70k bike at the time.  Long and low.  Like the Europeans love.  We moved her to a R25000 Cannondale Slice 5 - Hardly the epitome of Aero.  But the stack and reach were more suited to her body style.  She knocked 30mins off her best IM bike at Kona, and ran a 3:30 marathon to finsh the fastest SA age-grouper that year.  Largely because she was on a bike that fitted her perfectly.

Sometimes I think us South Africans are more interested in brands names, and less interested in what actually works for us.

Retul? Do you have details of someone I can contact to get measurements? I have asked around about more information specific to my fit, but I never get an impartial answer, even from professional bike fitters. I am not going to mention names, so I would prefer a reference. 

Problem is our access to bikes and impartial information is not that easy to come by, because these bikes are brought in, usually, to order. And then the bikes that are here are the bikes and sizes that are more popular. While we would all love to find our perfect fit, sometimes it's not that easy to do so. Our market is small, and our access to gear and bikes is indicative of that. Also, I am a little hesitant to buy brands that are not available locally easily because of warranty and support. I must say I am a little worried about buying a bike without getting to test it out first. 

Retul? Do you have details of someone I can contact to get measurements? I have asked around about more information specific to my fit, but I never get an impartial answer, even from professional bike fitters. I am not going to mention names, so I would prefer a reference. 

Problem is our access to bikes and impartial information is not that easy to come by, because these bikes are brought in, usually, to order. And then the bikes that are here are the bikes and sizes that are more popular. While we would all love to find our perfect fit, sometimes it's not that easy to do so. Our market is small, and our access to gear and bikes is indicative of that. Also, I am a little hesitant to buy brands that are not available locally easily because of warranty and support. I must say I am a little worried about buying a bike without getting to test it out first. 

https://scheduler.retul.com/search?country=ZA

For those unsure of the dimension differences, below are the results of my 3 setups in the last 6 months. 

From left to right is my normal Road setup , then the road bike will TT bars and a Fast Forward Setpost to bring me closer to the bars and then lastly a TT bike setup. 

post-46817-0-51317800-1529054424_thumb.png

post-46817-0-84632000-1529054140_thumb.jpg

Constants are the same fitment place, fitment person, shoes and saddle for the TT setup on road and TT bike.

I'm training for my first full ironman (April 2018). To date I have only been training/racing on a normal road bike, so need some input if it's really worth investing in a TT bike? Or is a set of aero rims and tri bars good enough considering that I might only do one or two full distance ironman in my life, rather sticking to 70.3 after that?

Any input?

Get a fast Aero dynamic road bike.  This way it will benefit both worlds.  With a TT bike there is so much margin for error that it will not benefit you in anyway if you don't use it properly.

• 5 months later...

Howzit guys, reviving this thread a little. I'm starting to get into triathlons in a big way, but I'll only be doing 2 or 3 long ones in a year (70.3 distance), the rest of the time I'll be doing sprint and Olympic distances and general road races.

So here's the thing, my road bike is a Silverback detroit, circa 2006/2007 model. I'm looking at getting a tri bike versus upgrading my road bike.

Option 1 : sell road bike and get a good spec aero road bike (cabal aero /canyon etc), modify it for the long tris and keep it as a road bike for the rest of the year.

Option 2. Keep the Detroit for road races and get a tri bike (mid range tri bike).

At the moment I'm leaning toward option 1.

The real questions are can I get a steep enough seat angle on an aero road bike that getting a tri bike isn't that much of a benefit?

How much difference will a 2018 decent road bike make compared to my 2006 mid level road bike on races like Argus /amashova / DC?

Or am I still gonna covet a tri bike even if I upgrade to an aero road bike.

PS, aiming for around a sub 6 hour 70.3. If that makes a difference.

Howzit guys, reviving this thread a little. I'm starting to get into triathlons in a big way, but I'll only be doing 2 or 3 long ones in a year (70.3 distance), the rest of the time I'll be doing sprint and Olympic distances and general road races.

So here's the thing, my road bike is a Silverback detroit, circa 2006/2007 model. I'm looking at getting a tri bike versus upgrading my road bike.

Option 1 : sell road bike and get a good spec aero road bike (cabal aero /canyon etc), modify it for the long tris and keep it as a road bike for the rest of the year.

Option 2. Keep the Detroit for road races and get a tri bike (mid range tri bike).

At the moment I'm leaning toward option 1.

The real questions are can I get a steep enough seat angle on an aero road bike that getting a tri bike isn't that much of a benefit?

How much difference will a 2018 decent road bike make compared to my 2006 mid level road bike on races like Argus /amashova / DC?

Or am I still gonna covet a tri bike even if I upgrade to an aero road bike.

PS, aiming for around a sub 6 hour 70.3. If that makes a difference.

This - "Or am I still gonna covet a tri bike even if I upgrade to an aero road bike".

Is road cycling still your main MO? 

Usually I'd suggest get the tri bike every time, but if you're still serious on the road cycle side, and want to do shorter tri's - which tri bikes are usually not allowed, maybe a road upgrade is a good idea.

It makes a huge difference when you go to 70.3 and longer so depends on your goals. Sub 6 is easily doable on a road bike though. 

Problem is, you say sub 6 now, next race you want sub 5:45 and so it goes on and on, then the road bike setup becomes a proper obstacle. (I still maintain you cannot get enough benefit from altering your road bike into tri position.)

Yeah road cycling is still my main m/o. Basically for 2019 it's 2 Ironman 70.3s (east London and Durban) and the rest of my cycling will be road races and shorter triathlons (some draft legal).

Perhaps upgrade road bike now and after 2019 season reassess the need (read want) for a tri bike

Get a TT bike and keep the road bike.... you know you want to!!

And if you are thinking about a TT bike, then triathlons are no longer just enter to finish..... you are looking to compete and you will only do that on a TT bike!