To TT or not to TT?

MarkW

Just a heads up, I bought a TT bike last week from the classifieds for a good price

I need to go for a proper bike fit, when that's done I'll give you guys feedback.

pics or it didn't happen...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Good morning,

I have only managed to ride my TT bike 3 times since my last post. I've been for a bike fit and the bike feels comfortable.

The positives: downhill and straights are quicker

Negatives: gear shifting/my quads take a beating/peddling while standing is uncomfortable

Being the first time on a TT bike, is this normal?

Good morning,

I have only managed to ride my TT bike 3 times since my last post. I've been for a bike fit and the bike feels comfortable.

Negatives: gear shifting/my quads take a beating/peddling while standing is uncomfortable

Yes and your body (legs) will adapt to the more forward sitting position in time.... when I have been off the TT bike for a while and on the RB, going back to the TT bike takes a few long rides to start to get comfy again as the muscles adapt... in legs, neck and shoulders

So where the pics of the bike??

Yes and your body (legs) will adapt to the more forward sitting position in time.... when I have been off the TT bike for a while and on the RB, going back to the TT bike takes a few long rides to start to get comfy again as the muscles adapt... in legs, neck and shoulders

Thank you for the reply! I'll post a pic shortly

i was a bit concerned, I thought maybe the bike is to big. My quads get so tired after about 40km, but my legs feel fine after doing 140km on a road bike?

i was a bit concerned, I thought maybe the bike is to big. My quads get so tired after about 40km, but my legs feel fine after doing 140km on a road bike?

Shouldn't be that tired after 40kms if you are use to 140km rides.... when I get back on my TT bike I feel that my glutes have worked more than my quads... but nothing over excessive to tire me out and can still do 100kms

A set up on the TT bike is a lot different to a RB, my saddle height on the RB is 745mm whereas my TT bike is 752mm because of the more forward position.

You are going to be spending many hours on the TT bike... maybe go back to where you had your set-up done and ask for a check up... especially as you say your quads are taking a beating where as you should be working your glutes more than the quads.

I only had this one available attachicon.gifIMG_2202.JPG

Congrats....awesome bikes those.

I'm more interested in the speakers in the background there.What are they and i take it you own/work in a HIFI shop?

Nice looking bike????

What is the seat height difference between your road and tri bikes?

Maybe try increase your tri seat height slightly ie 0.25 cm at a time and see if it helps.

Good morning,

Yes.

Electronic shifting makes perfect sense for TT bikes and would be an upgrade i'll look at later.I have done about 30+ rides on mine now and starting to get used to shifting while on the tt bars.

The bikes are made for speed and takes some getting used to.You use your quads more so that your hamstrings are saved for the run.

Shouldn't be that tired after 40kms if you are use to 140km rides.... when I get back on my TT bike I feel that my glutes and hammies have worked more than my quads... but nothing over excessive to tire me out and can still do 100kms

A set up on the TT bike is a lot different to a RB, my saddle height on the RB is 745mm whereas my TT bike is 752mm because of the more forward position.

You are going to be spending many hours on the TT bike... maybe go back to where you had your set-up done and ask for a check up... especially as you say your quads are taking a beating where as you should be working your glutes more than the quads.

Yes.

Electronic shifting makes perfect sense for TT bikes and would be an upgrade i'll look at later.I have done about 30+ rides on mine now and starting to get used to shifting while on the tt bars.

The bikes are made for speed and takes some getting used to.You use your quads more so that your hamstrings are saved for the run.

I'm planning on doing some TTs next year, so now I'm confused. I thought, but what would I know, that a TT position saves your hamstrings but there's contradiction in the above comments - any clarity available?

And secondly, if you're doing a 'pure' TT, rather than as part of a triathlon, why would ne adopt a position (expecting the aero aspects) which allegedly saves your hamstrings, for a run which never arrives? Double-confused!

The seat tube angle is also steeper on a tri bike than a road bike. What this means is unlike a road bike where the seat angle points towards the rear of the bike, the tri bike’s seat in more vertical. This positions the rider closer to the front of the bike and allows the rider to maintain a larger hip angle while in the aero position. This benefits the athlete by allowing them to utilize hamstring and glute muscles more effectively without relying too much on the quad muscles.

http://www.onlinetriathlontraining.com/road-bike-vs-triathlon-bike/

https://anathletesbody.com/tag/time-trial-position/

• Power comes from your hips, not your knees. If I told you that you had a muscle in your body that had the best leverage of any other muscle, and was more resistant to fatigue, wouldn’t you want to tap into that muscle? You do have that muscle; it’s called your gluteus maximus. Strong quads are nice, but a proper position on the bike optimizes your glut to drive the pedals.

Archived