To TT or not to TT?

MarkW

Continuing the discussion about adapting an (aero) road frame for triathlons, in the absence of a proper bike fitting I put my measurements into the Competitive Cyclist bike fit calculator, see attached results.

Seems that for my height (186cm) I have long limbs (91cm inseam).

I presume that since there is less available adjustment to top tube (reach) this should be used to determine frame size (as opposed to seat tube length).

Thought & comments on what size (aero road) bikes I should be researching (56/58/60)?

Thanks

post-93137-0-69898200-1505068479_thumb.png

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that killed this thread...

(or maybe it was already dead & I didn't notice)

I also did the CC fit thing when I was looking for a tri frame. Eventually I went for a professional fit check using my road frame as a base and then changed my mind and bought a tri bike. I'm the same height as you with a 92.5 92.2 inseam length.

I usualy ride a 60 cm road frame and was told I can ride a 58-60 tri frame. Think my tri frame is a 58... or equivalent as many are S, M or Large nowadays

Edited by SwissVan

You can get away with doing 70.3 and PE IM on a road bike.

If you only have one bike then use the road bike and put some aero bars and deep wheels on.

If your budget allows it then get a TT bike.

You'll probably save around 8 minutes on the bike but will look so cool on the post race pics[emoji106]

e3dc94124885aaab773b58da45367157.jpg

Edited by gummibear

Oh man... just came back from a little cruise on the TT machine(still sitting in my trisuit on the couch) and mother of Mary that was sooooo much fun- Whatever my earlier recomendations were, scrap it- everyone needs to have TT bike!!! (If you saw my current smile/grin you would understand)

Needless to say; she ready for the Cape Ultra on the weekend!

Oh man... just came back from a little cruise on the TT machine(still sitting in my trisuit on the couch) and mother of Mary that was sooooo much fun- Whatever my earlier recomendations were, scrap it- everyone needs to have TT bike!!! (If you saw my current smile/grin you would understand)

:clap:  thats an awesome write up!

I probably would be smiling like that too if I had that bike...  :thumbup:

The electronic shifting makes a huge difference on a TT bike.

Nice bike that :drool:  :thumbup:

I'm training for my first full ironman (April 2018). To date I have only been training/racing on a normal road bike, so need some input if it's really worth investing in a TT bike? Or is a set of aero rims and tri bars good enough considering that I might only do one or two full distance ironman in my life, rather sticking to 70.3 after that?

Any input?

If I were to do Ironman, I would expect a 7 hour plus bike time. Spending so much time on a TT bike would be he'll.

As a person aiming to finish without dying, I would rather go for a comfort orientated bike like a Roubaix or a Domaine. 7 hours on a comfortable bike will leave so much more energy for the run than on a TT bike.

In my opinion, unless you are racing for time, stick with something that can make your journey as comfortable as possible

If I were to do Ironman, I would expect a 7 hour plus bike time. Spending so much time on a TT bike would be he'll.

As a person aiming to finish without dying, I would rather go for a comfort orientated bike like a Roubaix or a Domaine. 7 hours on a comfortable bike will leave so much more energy for the run than on a TT bike.

In my opinion, unless you are racing for time, stick with something that can make your journey as comfortable as possible

Don't be too hasty there friend.. A TT bike correctly set up can be a game changer in terms of comfort (take it from someone who did indeed spend 7 hours on the bike course). 

Also A TT bike is designed to move the load around on your legs so you actually feel better for the run coming off a tri bike as opposed to a normal road bike.

Or how about a comfortable tri position, with FF seat post, tri & base bars, on a comfortable road frame (lots of compliance to take road buzz out) as the best of both worlds? Which kind of takes the topic full circle?

Maybe I'm just lucky but i had a setup done on Saturday and did a 80km ride on Sunday.

I usually get a sore back and neck from my road bike with TTbars on after 60-80km ride.

Did the 80km and didn't suffer from the back or neck pain.

My quads and hips were sore when i woke up yesterday so I'm guessing they are mainly used to power the bike and save your mammies and calves for the run

Or how about a comfortable tri position, with FF seat post, tri & base bars, on a comfortable road frame (lots of compliance to take road buzz out) as the best of both worlds? Which kind of takes the topic full circle?

Just put 25 or 28mm tyres on if your frame can take it .... minimal road buzz ;)

Me, I am on a TT bike with 25mm tyres and can be very comfy... and get there a lot quicker than 7hrs and still be fresh enough to run a marathon :)

I have a Roubaix and have done a few tris up to 70.3 distance on the Roubaix, and full IM on my TT bike

TT bike is much more comfortable and this carries over positively on the run

Edited by SwissVan