To TT or not to TT?

MarkW

I have heard from many that the different positioning on the TT bike makes the run a ton easier and faster. I would rather spend the money on a TT bike. And, before you spend a ton on aero wheels, do you have any weight you can drop? That would be a better result than dropping cash on expensive wheels. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from many that the different positioning on the TT bike makes the run a ton easier and faster. I would rather spend the money on a TT bike. And, before you spend a ton on aero wheels, do you have any weight you can drop? That would be a better result than dropping cash on expensive wheels.

Yes Triathlon geometry is more comfortable to ride (in my experience) and definetly worth it if you are going to do ultra distances.

Trying to achieve triathlon geometry effect on a standard road frame by changing seat post and seat position usually does not work out the same ss a true tri frame, also from personal experience.

For shorter distances you can play around with a road frame.

Aero wheels are important if you are looking for speed but they will do zot to make the run easier. The faster you ride (above 30kmh) the greater the benefit. If you are not riding above 30kph then focus on a good frame + comfortable aero position and tri bars.

Yes Triathlon geometry is more comfortable to ride (in my experience) and definetly worth it if you are going to do ultra distances.

Trying to achieve triathlon geometry effect on a standard road frame by changing seat post and seat position usually does not work out the same ss a true tri frame, also from personal experience.

For shorter distances you can play around with a road frame.

Aero wheels are important if you are looking for speed but they will do zot to make the run easier. The faster you ride (above 30kmh) the greater the benefit. If you are not riding above 30kph then focus on a good frame + comfortable aero position and tri bars.

x100

Comfort is king when it comes to Ironman, for most of us it's a long day out.

Edited by DA\/ID

x100

Comfort is king when it comes to Ironman, for most of us it's a long day out.

And the run is where the fun starts so you may as well enjoy the ride there ????

Thank you for the replies. I think a TT bike it is then... I would like my photos to look "cool"

So...

- My road bike is a size small 52, should I get a size smaller on a TT?

- Is Shimano 105 sufficient or should I go ultegra?

- Any recommendations ito make/models? Priced between 25-35k (I've been checking the bike hub classifieds, so second hand is definitely an option)

Did 4 x 70.3 and 1 Ironman on it

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/255451-time-trial-bikes/  :whistling:

Edited by shaper

Plenty of very decent second hand TT bikes on this hub....

I have gone TT and it is amazing and looks cool and makes the run easier and costs some Zandellas.

BUT if you are not at least an average to good cyclist the very aggresive setup could make it worse, TT bikes weigh a TON (I was shocked when I got a top of the range and struggled to lift it). So make sure you can ride otherwise do a 70.3 or your 1st full IM with the clip on bars.

Personally the bike helped me a lot but the most time gains for me to make is on the run so really working on it (no need to pay R100k for a TT bike and run 2hr more than the rest of your podium compeditors. Same with the swim.

Some food for thought- I am planning to ditch the TT bike for the 70.3 in East london because of the climbing profile.

So basically if you want to(and can) go fast then do it, otherwise probably not.

And just for some jokes, but there is a fairly big diffrence between a TT and a Tri setup as well

Plenty of very decent second hand TT bikes on this hub....

I have gone TT and it is amazing and looks cool and makes the run easier and costs some Zandellas.

BUT if you are not at least an average to good cyclist the very aggresive setup could make it worse, TT bikes weigh a TON (I was shocked when I got a top of the range and struggled to lift it). So make sure you can ride otherwise do a 70.3 or your 1st full IM with the clip on bars.

Personally the bike helped me a lot but the most time gains for me to make is on the run so really working on it (no need to pay R100k for a TT bike and run 2hr more than the rest of your podium compeditors. Same with the swim.

Some food for thought- I am planning to ditch the TT bike for the 70.3 in East london because of the climbing profile.

Thank you for the info. What is average/good cyclist? My averages during solo training is between 28-31km per hour over a 100-120km stretch, depending on route and conditions.

So basically if you want to(and can) go fast then do it, otherwise probably not.

And just for some jokes, but there is a fairly big diffrence between a TT and a Tri setup as well

LOL! But how fast is "fast"...so as to reap the benefits from a TT bike? I have only been riding road bikes for about year (previously mountain biking) so honestly don't no where I measure up ITO level.

Thank you for the info. What is average/good cyclist? My averages during solo training is between 28-31km per hour over a 100-120km stretch, depending on route and conditions.

I do similar on my solo rides and I bought a BMC TMR. Is a aero road frame which I kitted out as pure TT. For similar rides in the cradle but just riding this bike I do 31-33km/h. On the same bike with full effort I can do roughly 38-40km/h for about 2hours. I could never do that on the road bike.

In terms of sizing, each make is different, you must try it. My road bike is 49 and a little to small but my TT is 48 and just fits me.

As many have mentioned, if you can afford it, buy it and you will love it.

Keep us updated