MTB - best buy under R10 000 for female

Suné

Good day, what is the best buy (brand and model) for a female under R10000 wrt a mtb?

Thank you

Have you had a look at any bikes so long or visited any shops to get an idea which ones you are curious about

Also probably depends on what she likes.. a good bike or a pretty bike.

Yes I have, i just want something that is the best value for the price and want to know what other people think as well.

Edited by Suné

I suppose it depends on what you want to do, xc, trail, dh, enduro, mix of tar and gravel roads.

Then its a toss between a hardtail or dual sus and then from there amount of suspension travel you would like. If you gonna get into some air, then more travel is recommended.

Welcome !!

If you are going in for under R10k you need to consider 2nd hand.

More value for money and if you want to re-sell then you should get back more or less what you paid.

I'm sure there would be a kind soul in SW that would go and look at a 2nd hand bike with you so as to assess its condition. Sure someone will have a cup of coffee with you to chat about which bike (type) to go for.

Just ask!

Maybe contact Catgirl here on the hub.

Edited by porqui

Hi Sune,

Don't you perhaps want to browse around or do some Google searching and present us with a few options?

The one benefit of getting a female spesific bike (Merida Juliet / Titan Calypso) is that the bars are a bit shorter and they normally add a female spesific saddle. But as a lot of hubbers here will share it is sometimes a personal preferance and depending on the skill level.

Sune welcome to the forum

New - only a few entry level "hard tail" bikes in this price range, ie Merida, Titan, etc.

Secondhand - most bike-shops do trade ins when people upgrade.  Some sell the 2nd hand bikes in the store, others resell it via other outlets.  Going this route provides some peace of mind.  I have bought a 2nd hand bike from Marks Workshop - 021 949 5219

There is also a bike shop in Kuilsriver that sells 2nd hand bikes - Cyclosport - 

021 903 4538

Then there is also the option of buying from the classified section of this forum ....

021 903 4538

Unless you are short, there is no reason for a "pink it and shrink it" bike. I do not own any "women's specific" bikes, because they are generally heavier and lower spec than what can be bought for the same money if you go "men's" bikes. The only women's bikes I would consider are Giant Liv and Juliana (exact same geometry as Santa Cruz brothers), but those are really expensive.

Buy a good second hand bike, add a saddle you find comfy, tweak the cockpit and you are all set!

Thank you for all the replies. I am looking at buying a 29er seeing that I had a 26er. Which one would you prefer between a merida big nine 20d vs a giant revel? I am looking at buying hardtail (for now) Any thoughts and ideas?

I would say a decent brush and sponge kit, no need for an expensive high pressure washer.

8b4f20c03723ebb2b7c6a13846a9bc88.jpg

Merida ....

but then the owners of the other brand will punt their brand .....

try to test ride both and take the one that puts a smile on your face.

Why dont you post your dimensions so people have an idea what would suite you best. 

I know a tall lady at work prefers a mens road bike as it has better geo for her and some of the Pure Savage compact crankers swear by their female specific bikes. 

For a MTB this could be the difference between, 27.5 and 29. etc.

Why dont you post your dimensions so people have an idea what would suite you best. 

I know a tall lady at work prefers a mens road bike as it has better geo for her and some of the Pure Savage compact crankers swear by their female specific bikes. 

For a MTB this could be the difference between, 27.5 and 29. etc.

Sune to add to PureSavage, at 1,75m I am at the cut between M and L frames .... some bikes the M just works for me, others the L works better.

Maybe this helps you ....

Also remember that going from 26 to 29'' the bike stands taller, so the same frame size might "feel" larger.

Most of the decent bike shops have demo models.  Go try out a few bikes to see what fits you.  Then find the one that fits your budget.

happy hunting