Garmin Premium Strap - odd smell

mecheng89

A good morning to all Hubbers,

My Garmin premium heart rate strap has started developing an odd smell. I regularly run it under the tap after rides, and chuck it in the washing machine after 7-10 rides as prescribed. Never has it developed this smell.

Now however, in the last month or so, a sweaty, almost Deep Heat like smell has now clung onto it and will just not go away. I've now washed it several times by hand, with different kinds of soaps, but to avail.

Who else has had this problem?

mine goes into the shower with me after every use and gets a proper soaping. (they last about 8 months)

once a month it gets soaked in a basin/bucket with dettol/savlon

Eau de YOU

:lol:

The dettol or savlon thing is key on them soft straps... even the polar ones. And just as I use for most kit mud stains - old fashioned sunlight green bar of soap.

We generally sweat a lot more in our synthetics than say our usual t-shirts (because we're usually exercising in them) so they need extra care when washing to make sure you don't end up with bacteria build up and ultimately a little extra stench on the side - normal washes struggles to remove all these. I've used the Nikwax products before and they work pretty well as an extra level of attack on the sweatiest items http://www.rammountain.co.za/brand/nikwax/

Anything you sweat profusely in can do with a bit of this tlc every now and then - running tops, cycling gear, HRM straps etc

Eau de YOU

The dettol or savlon thing is key on them soft straps... even the polar ones. And just as I use for most kit mud stains - old fashioned sunlight green bar of soap.

Tried this last night, took away some of the smell. Washed it for a good 15 minutes, but the smell still lingers.

Eau de YOU

Will try this. Chucking it in the wash first to see what I can get out. 

mine goes into the shower with me after every use and gets a proper soaping. (they last about 8 months)

once a month it gets soaked in a basin/bucket with dettol/savlon

Your strap lasts 8 months?

Are you rinsing it properly?

I soke mine in a omo and savlon cocktail for a couple hours never had any issues

I thought I was. Been using this strap since late 2015, and only in the last 2-3 weeks has this smell developed. 

Your strap lasts 8 months?

yes if I'm lucky.

I use the polar strap, they last longer and are half the price of the garmin strap

yes if I'm lucky.

I use the polar strap, they last longer and are half the price of the garmin strap

Wow, that strap must be taking quite some punishment. I've had mine since late 2015. 

Perhaps your cleaning method is too abrasive? 

Wow, that strap must be taking quite some punishment. I've had mine since late 2015. 

Perhaps your cleaning method is too abrasive? 

I have been using my Garmin strap since mid-2014 (4 to 5 times a week) and only now it is starting to show signs of wear - can't imagine what fanie is doing with his...

Oh, and mine usually goes into the washing machine with the other cycling clothes after each ride.

Any anti-fungal/anti-bacterial soap or disinfectant will get rid of the smell.  Just be aware that a lot of these could be bad for the elastic rubber parts of the strap, and break it down prematurely.