Beginner - First Ever Road Ride

Zamorano

Welcome to the cycling world, Zamorano! It bites hard and you'll be hooked.

I would suggest you get into a gym and do some spinning classes (there'll be a lot of debate about this ) but you will build fitness and muscle memory keeping straight up.

Another tip to keep going straight, your bike will generally go where your head is pointing, took ahead and not straight down. Keep your knees together (don't knock the top tube though, it'll hurt) and don't lean on the handle bars (use your core muscles to keep yourself upright).

That'll be a good start.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the cycling world, Zamorano! It bites hard and you'll be hooked.

I would suggest you get into a gym and do some spinning classes (there'll be a lot of debate about this ) but you will build fitness and muscle memory keeping straight up.

Another tip to keep going straight, your bike will generally go where your head is pointing, took ahead and not straight down. Keep your knees together (don't knock the top tube though, it'll hurt) and don't lean on the handle bars (use your core muscles to keep yourself upright).

That'll be a good start.

Excellent tips! thank you.

As for being bitten by the cycling bug, I believe Its way past that now :drool:

If it hasn't been done already, I would recommend getting your bit fit done by a professional.

Getting setup and positioned correctly on a road bike will go a long way toward maintaining stability and being able to cycle in a straight line. Otherwise it's going to come down to fitness and maintaining an efficient/smooth pedal stroke. Narrow bars do take a bit of adjustment.

If you want longer distances, take your bike out to the cradle. There's a nice 2m wide cycling lane in which to build some confidence.

I just came here to make sure nobody suggested MTB'ing instead. Time in the saddle is what will help the most. Try tag along with a group of peeps. If in Cape Town towards Chappies on the weekend easy to slot into a similar speed group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came here to make sure nobody suggested MTB'ing instead. Time in the saddle is what will help the most. Try tag along with a group of peeps. If in Cape Town towards Chappies on the weekend easy to slot into a similar speed group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try MTB instead! :whistling:

But seriously....as you did mtb before, go off road (wide open gravel to start) to build confidence, technique and stamina. Then look to go back to road if that is what you really want. I see too many cyclists busy with themselves, bike, technique that they are a danger to themselves and other road users.

Lastly, our roads just are extremely dangerous - add to that that most drivers are on their cell phone while driving and it's accidents waiting to happen. Scares the **** out of me everytime i do ride. Can't see behind me. But i'm a mtb'er so only have this issue very seldom....

If it hasn't been done already, I would recommend getting your bit fit done by a professional.

Getting setup and positioned correctly on a road bike will go a long way toward maintaining stability and being able to cycle in a straight line. Otherwise it's going to come down to fitness and maintaining an efficient/smooth pedal stroke. Narrow bars do take a bit of adjustment.

If you want longer distances, take your bike out to the cradle. There's a nice 2m wide cycling lane in which to build some confidence.

Was out in the Cradle yesterday for a group ride, numbers picked up dramatically since I was there in mid August. Probably only going to get worse as we approach 947CC.

But on the other hand, it is a good session to exercise how to navigate slower riders on the road,with the added difficulty of bikers and normal vehicles also using the road. So if you can navigate those, then you will be fine come race day.

Thanks, going down to the cradle this weekend. 

Welcome post some pics or it never happened.  :thumbup:

Soon. As for now you will probably get pics of me falling! (hopefully not)

First off, get yourself some long socks. Impossible to feel good on a road bike without them.

Riding skills will only improve by riding. It will take some time but it comes naturally.

No shame in getting off your bike at intersections.

And last, but not least, your body will take some time getting used to the new position-I was uncomfortable on my roadie for a month(neck, back arms....); so give it time, and then get a good bike fit done.

Soon. As for now you will probably get pics of me falling! (hopefully not)

Ok leave those out then it never happened

But on the other hand, it is a good session to exercise how to navigate slower riders on the road,with the added difficulty of bikers and normal vehicles also using the road. So if you can navigate those, then you will be fine come race day.

Based on what OP has said, he's probably going to be the slower rider out in the Cradle. If that's the case, then all he needs to do is stay a bit to the left of the cycling lane and let the faster/more experienced guys go around him. The only thing he needs to manage here is holding his line.

I still reckon Cradle is about the safest on-road place you can ride in Northern jhb... the roads are terrifying out there.

On your neck and back issue try going into an easier gear or less downhill. I noticed my back cramps when i go to fast to quickly. Especially uphill. I have improved alot with core exercise. I was relatively fit already due to my work. When i go into an easier gear or stand up and cycle uphill i have no cramps bt if i sit and push it it starts to hurt. I went back cor a fitment 3 times. It didn't do anything so i went to a bio. And they suggested core exercise.

Forget about the cars on the road. If you constantly worrie about what and who is behind you tou are more likely to look back or sideways which causes you to wobble. You go where you look.