[Event] STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

James Christelis

Event Name: STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE
When: 21 October 2017
Where: Overgauuw Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

This year’s STBB4GOOD MTB Challenge and Family Day will be taking place on Saturday 21 October 2017 at Overgaauw Wine Estate in Stellenbosch over the Bottelary Hills MTB Trails and Conservancy. The aim of this event is to raise funds for the Miles for Smiles Foundation.

The MTB race has become known as one of the “must-do” events on the MTB calendar. Our routes are enjoyable, challenging and well marked, our marshals are on the ball, we have the top class water tables in the industry, and we are told that ours is one of the best organised MTB races in South Africa. Unbelievable prizes from our generous sponsors, and loads of prizes to be won.

After the race, chill out in Bedouin tents, eat, relax and take in the view. Enjoy the food market, artisan beers and wine tasting, plus a jumping castle and arts and crafts for the kids.

Distances: 60km | 45km | 30km | 12km | 5km

Entries available via Racetec: CLICK HERE TO ENTER

hubevents-35028-0-53222900-1505326776_thumb.jpg

Go to Event Page

hubevents-77435-0-20498900-1491046946_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trail running and mtb at the same event. Mmmmm, not for me. But all the best for your event and cause.

Why does that offend you? It's not unusual and it is not as if you have to share the route with the runners?

Why does that offend you? It's not unusual and it is not as if you have to share the route with the runners?

It does not offend me at all. From past experiences at other races, it can be tricky and in most cases either the mtb or trail running event gets preference over the other. I am not trying to discourage anyone from this race. I have done it 3 times allready and it is great day out. I hope it is a huge success.

It does not offend me at all. From past experiences at other races, it can be tricky and in most cases either the mtb or trail running event gets preference over the other. I am not trying to discourage anyone from this race. I have done it 3 times allready and it is great day out. I hope it is a huge success.

Given that the mtb is well established by now can't think that adding a trail run would be an issue for the mtb events. No issues in other events I have done.

• 5 months later...

The trailrun is actually happening on the Friday evening of 20 October while the MTB challenge happens on Saturday 21 October. There will therefore be a division between the two but they will both be using the same great trails. 

Event Name: STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE
When: 21 October 2017
Where: Overgauuw Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

This year’s STBB4GOOD MTB Challenge and Family Day will be taking place on Saturday 21 October 2017 at Overgaauw Wine Estate in Stellenbosch over the Bottelary Hills MTB Trails and Conservancy. The aim of this event is to raise funds for the Miles for Smiles Foundation.

The MTB race has become known as one of the “must-do” events on the MTB calendar. Our routes are enjoyable, challenging and well marked, our marshals are on the ball, we have the top class water tables in the industry, and we are told that ours is one of the best organised MTB races in South Africa. Unbelievable prizes from our generous sponsors, and loads of prizes to be won.

After the race, chill out in Bedouin tents, eat, relax and take in the view. Enjoy the food market, artisan beers and wine tasting, plus a jumping castle and arts and crafts for the kids.

Distances: 60km | 45km | 30km | 12km | 5km

Entries available via Racetec: CLICK HERE TO ENTER

Go to Event Page

hubevents-35028-0-53222900-1505326776_thumb.jpg

hubevents-35028-0-87050600-1505326791_thumb.jpg

I entered looong ago - currently rehabing from injury - touch and go as to whether I'll be there or not. 

Thoroughly enjoyed last year!!

We will be holding all the thumbs we can find that you will recover in time and be at the event Mamil!!

The STBB4GOOD MTB Challenge is the only official race that is allowed on the BOTTELARY HILLS MTB TRAILS AND CONSERVANCY and is a great opportunity to enjoy the trails in a racing format or in a casual rider format with lots of fully stocked water points and medical assistance.

More about the Bottelary Hills Conservancy and MTB Trails.

The Bottelary Renosterveld Conservancy (“the Bottelary Conservancy”) was registered as a Non-Profit Organisation (“NPO”) on 25 February 2002. Its registered purpose is to conserve the Renosterveld in its area – as such and in line with its NPO status, its core business is to eradicate alien vegetation such as bluegums, pines, “hakia” and “rooikrans” and to enhance the re-establishment of Renosterveld.

Renosterveld is not limited to Renosterbos from which its name is taken, but includes a vast number of other plants and bulbs, in total some 1700 unique plant species. As Renosterveld grows in fertile soils its natural habitat has been taken over by predominantly viticulture and only 4% of the original Renosterveld remains on small pieces of land, which are either too small or too inaccessible to farm commercially.

The Bottelary Conservancy is included and forms part of the Cape Winelands Biosphere which was listed by UNESCO on 18 September 2007 – as such its conservation status is recognised internationally.

The Bottelary Conservancy launched a series of Mountain Bike Trails (“the Bottelary MTB”) during April 2011. These are very successful and contain challenging single tracks and flowing jeep tracks, which have unsurpassed 360° views of Table Mountain, Robben Island, the Stellenbosch and Helderberg Mountains and, on a clear day, False Bay as far as Hangklip!

The Bottelary Conservancy is grateful for the success of its MTB-trails which allows annual and daily permit holders to experience extended areas of Renosterveld over farms such as Koopmanskloof, Wolfkloof and Mooiplaas. Annual permit sales (currently at 1000 plus per year) will be capped at 2000 to ensure that the nature experience is retained.

The only race that is allowed on this route is the STBB MTB event, for the benefit of the Miles for Smiles Foundation

As pointed out above all proceeds generated by the Bottelary MTB after meeting maintenance and other expenses are dedicated to preserving and enhancing the Renosterveld – our irreplaceable heritage!

For more information, visit the Bottelary Conservancy website: www.bottelaryconservancy.co.za

Edited by Anna_Afrika

Here's a cool trick guys. I've done it a few times. Enter for the long route, go all out and then the next day...

do the One Tonner 170KM... 

:clap: 

nothing beats the kind of stukkend you'll feel after that.

This is a great event, but last year was a mud fest!

Yes the weather certainly added to the challenge for all of us. We are holding thumbs for better weather this year!

Rule #9 states that If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass.

We look forward to seeing you again at the race this year!!