[Event] TransBreede Ultra

PieterCamel

Event Name: TransBreede Ultra
When: 27 January 2018
Where: Du Toits Kloof Cellar, Old N1 rd, Rawsonville, Western Cape
Category: MTB

One-day 120km MTB event. Ascent approx. 2900m. The areas that will be ridden is Rawsonville, Slanghoek and Bains Kloof

Athletes can expect are tough course with possible temperatures reaching 38 Deg. There will be six waterpoints along the route. The route will traverse over great single tracks, vineyard roads and mountainous areas.

With the same venue as start and finish, no transfers are needed, ample parking, restaurant and showers located on site. Just 45min from Cape Town.

The event will be sanctioned with CSA.

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...

I'll be in the area next week & will be sampling some of the trails on offer.

anywhere i can find the actual route?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost certain this is is a precursor to the Cape Epic 2018 Stage 4 later in March as it will follow most of the same trails.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's this Saturday, anyone want to guess the time the winners will take to complete the course, it will determine if I do it or not.

Milky...after smashing Attakwas, you should be in it to win it! Lol

I'm entered, recovering from Atta...getting my bike ready after that mud-fest...and look forward to the Trans Breede challenge with just a little trepidation. New tracks for me, so should be cool. Weather also looking wonky again...rain and strongish gusts of wind. Rain will be light so will hopefully compact dust and not be mud. Wind.....hmmmmm.

Anyway, should be interesting. Again  :w00t:  :eek:  :whistling: 

Milky...after smashing Attakwas, you should be in it to win it! Lol

I'm entered, recovering from Atta...getting my bike ready after that mud-fest...and look forward to the Trans Breede challenge with just a little trepidation. New tracks for me, so should be cool. Weather also looking wonky again...rain and strongish gusts of wind. Rain will be light so will hopefully compact dust and not be mud. Wind.....hmmmmm.

Anyway, should be interesting. Again :w00t: :eek: :whistling:

no ways for the win, as you know all the pro's will be there as the word is out that 90% of the route will be a Cape Epic Stage

That was one seriously tough event! First half had some stunning trail through little known valleys at the back end of Rawsonville. The thick sand interspersed with river rock was heavy going with frequent portages when it got too boggy. Had a stretch with free miles on open dirt road with a tail wind after passing DuToitskloof Cellars at the halfway point but then with about 40km to go it got rather nasty with steep and loose climbs, sketchy descents and rapidly increasing temperatures.

Great epic training and a well marked route.

Do have to have one moan session re the singletrack between Slanghoek and Goudini - too sandy to try to build tight bermed trails and if epic goes through this part, there are going to be serious bottlenecks and lots of walking.

That was one seriously tough event! First half had some stunning trail through little known valleys at the back end of Rawsonville. The thick sand interspersed with river rock was heavy going with frequent portages when it got too boggy. Had a stretch with free miles on open dirt road with a tail wind after passing DuToitskloof Cellars at the halfway point but then with about 40km to go it got rather nasty with steep and loose climbs, sketchy descents and rapidly increasing temperatures.

Great epic training and a well marked route.

Do have to have one moan session re the singletrack between Slanghoek and Goudini - too sandy to try to build tight bermed trails and if epic goes through this part, there are going to be serious bottlenecks and lots of walking.

Yeah, if the pro's and semi-pro's offer advice....then you know it was a tough ride out there. The sand was a killer, but really enjoyed the first part, and all the single track. The last 20km were brutal though...hard climbing when fatigued and quite technical (which I loved). Knew what was coming having done a Slanghoek Tri with mtb section, but it still didn't make it easier. Was close to totally blowing, with some recurring cramps in the heat.

I think the Epic takes the reverse route through Goudini though, so it will be tough, but probably a little "easier" as closer to start. Then "only" Bains Kloof waiting for you....steady climb up there  :whistling: