Tour de France 2018

gummibear

I actually feel sorry for Quintana... It's my belief that his 'aura' is a giant media-hype... we see him how he's portrayed in the media, and if they want to paint a certain picture (in false hope it seems) then that's what we see. As one of the best-of-the-best riders up hills out there, there's no doubt he's trying his best and leaving no questions unanswered in his mind. If he comes up short, then we/the media pass judgement based on the preconceived ideas in our minds.... which may not be what Quintana is all about.

The click-baity headline may have been something like "our only hope is for Sky to implode and for the rest of us to take advantage". Not quite what some overly zealous scribe wanted to hear.

but think of how lekker that would be... for Sky to implode... it'd be super entertaining... imagine Sit Dave!!! shem

ps, check out a small interview on the Cycling News Podcast where Alex Dowsett gives his views on Quintana... #restdaytoday

Very true.  But this label doesn't seem to follow the other top GC contenders outside of Team Sky.

He's won two grand tours and is most certainly a phenomenal contender.  The media seems to feel the need to drum up this additional drama.  The aura of the "kingslayer" facing the odds could just as easily apply to TommyD, Nibali or Landa.  All incredible competitors that are there to try and win - with pretty decent chances of doing it too!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only Team Sky could call for safety of riders from being hit by fans and then have one of their riders hit another rider.

Couldn’t make it up!

Tweet by @mocycling

Doesn't make their point about rider safety any less true or important though, regardless of what their rider did. . .

Well he's an idiot to begin with, so that he missed and hit the helmet comes as no surprise. Doubt Sky will be renewing his contract as he is becoming more trouble than what he is worth.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

And not the first time he has been an idiot.. obviously has some issue that he needs to address. But sometimes an idiot is just that, an idiot and no amoumt of pleading will solve that.

No-one will miss his absence ..well maybe Rowe and Kwaito will, they'll have to pick up his share of work[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Doesn't make their point about rider safety any less true or important though, regardless of what their rider did. . .

Of course it doesn’t, but some will see the negative in anything if it’s a team they dislike.

And not the first time he has been an idiot.. obviously has some issue that he needs to address. But sometimes an idiot is just that, an idiot and no amoumt of pleading will solve that.

No-one will miss his absence ..well maybe Rowe and Kwaito will, they'll have to pick up his share of work[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Racism, deliberate crashes and now trying to punch another rider. So calling him an idiot is us being nice. And I think Sir Dave has probably had enough of this and that's going on G's description of Sir DB's personality. And I reckon Sky can afford to buy someone else to do what Moscon does for them. Who though is the real question.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Of course it doesn’t, but some will see the negative in anything if it’s a team they dislike.

Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing. Or the worst... it depends...

The tweet is reference to the hypocrisy that exists within this leading team.

What they say and what they do are highly in question from Jiffybag-gate through to Gianni.

Well this most certainly will help the situation...

Sir Dave Brailsford claims spitting and booing aimed at Team Sky is a 'French thing' and warns: 'respect us or riders won't return'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2018/07/23/sir-dave-brailsford-claims-spitting-booing-team-sky-french-thing/

“The Tour de France is promoted as the world’s greatest annual sporting event and if you want the best international riders  to come to your country then maybe treat them with a little more respect,” he concluded. “If you don’t want them to come, you can maybe have the Tour de France for French teams - that might work. But if you want international teams to come then treat them with the same respect that you’d want your team to be treated when they go to Russia, the World Cup or wherever else.”

“It’s interesting that we’ve just done the Tour of Italy and Chris’s case was [still] open and the Italians were fantastic," he said. "It just seems to be a French thing. Like a French cultural thing. I’m not sure they’d have liked their football players being spat at in Russia. I’m sure there would have been a word or two about that. But it’s OK to spit on us, and on our staff. Emma Kennaugh [a junior press officer] is 21. She’s trying to drive around France and it’s very intimidating for her, to be spat at.

The tweet is reference to the hypocrisy that exists within this leading team.

What they say and what they do are highly in question from Jiffybag-gate through to Gianni.

I'm aware of what was alluded to in this tweet, my point stands that you can't compare the two to each other. Calling for rider safety from fans and one of their riders being an afrikaans box doesn't match up, it's an easy deflection away from the problem at hand

Agreed. My point is address the issue at hand, don't drag valid points through the mud just because you feel you need to add some substance to your argument

At least the results of Le Tour is not a given, although it would be great if G can hold on. Quite a few questions will be answered over the next week days. And then there is the TT!

I'd better stop pondering and get my daily tasks done, so I can be back in time for the action.

World Tour teams have to do the Tour, no? And as if a pro cycling wouldn't do the Tour if invited.

He said riders, not teams.

I suspect that if Froome wins his 5th, he won’t do the Tour again.

Well this most certainly will help the situation...

“The Tour de France is promoted as the world’s greatest annual sporting event and if you want the best international riders  to come to your country then maybe treat them with a little more respect,” he concluded. “If you don’t want them to come, you can maybe have the Tour de France for French teams - that might work. But if you want international teams to come then treat them with the same respect that you’d want your team to be treated when they go to Russia, the World Cup or wherever else.”

“It’s interesting that we’ve just done the Tour of Italy and Chris’s case was [still] open and the Italians were fantastic," he said. "It just seems to be a French thing. Like a French cultural thing. I’m not sure they’d have liked their football players being spat at in Russia. I’m sure there would have been a word or two about that. But it’s OK to spit on us, and on our staff. Emma Kennaugh [a junior press officer] is 21. She’s trying to drive around France and it’s very intimidating for her, to be spat at.

Once again Sir DB's timing is impeccable. I agree 100% with what he says but surely airing these things right now is like adding fuel to a fire, rather wait till the closing ceremony and then unleash all hell on the French , BUUUUT, be prepared to stay true to your word.

Archived