Where to get steerer tube extenders?

Nuffy

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

Another option is to get RBC in PE to press in a new steerer, will be a bit more expensive though.

Louis at Knipe Racing can probably do this for you - if he cant, it cant be done....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, pistonpomp said:

Extender 

Something like this...

You lbs should be able to assist Coolheat have the Pro A head adapter in stock around R240.00

11 hours ago, tubed said:

Louis at Knipe Racing can probably do this for you - if he cant, it cant be done....

You need a hydraulic press, not something a bike shop has. As far as I know RBC are the only ones in SA that do it.

19 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

You need a hydraulic press, not something a bike shop has. As far as I know RBC are the only ones in SA that do it.

That is correct, I not exactly sure of the extent of Louis machinery, it is extensive - but it is something he offered to do for me on a fork I bought from him and he has done it successfully before for another customer. Worth having a chat to him if he's in your area. He loves a challenge and an opportunity to show his tooling and manufacturing skills.

@Jakes 001 has a press to do it for you 

But I also have an extender or two lying here if you want to go that route 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Added an alternative

Thanx guys for all the feedback. After measuring the tube, I see that a extender might be too short for my project, and dentists are dem expensive 😁

I think I'll go with the replacement of the steerer route. My lbs referred me to someone here in Worcester who will be able to do it with the correct machinery. And my neigbour suggested we do it one evening with a car jack and a draadtang - but I think it was the brandy talking...

4 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

We've got the tools as well, but there are some forks it can't be done with. Also not cheap, so sometimes the extender is a better option depending on bike and application.

1 hour ago, pistonpomp said:

Thanx guys for all the feedback. After measuring the tube, I see that a extender might be too short for my project, and dentists are dem expensive 😁

I think I'll go with the replacement of the steerer route. My lbs referred me to someone here in Worcester who will be able to do it with the correct machinery. And my neigbour suggested we do it one evening with a car jack and a draadtang - but I think it was the brandy talking...

Just remember to keep the video running - the right time to start recording is after the brandy but before you go out to the car for the jack.

On the issue of reach and rise have a look for the RAD sizing method on youtube. Just an extra reference point on getting the bars positioned right.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:12 AM, droo said:

We've got the tools as well, but there are some forks it can't be done with. Also not cheap, so sometimes the extender is a better option depending on bike and application.

good to know

• 6 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, Martin PJ said:

I have this one which I am not using. Will work on 1.125 inch aluminium steerer tube. Extends the height about 2.5 cm.

20221031_164349.jpg

Extender.JPG

Hi there Martin. You don't happen to still have this lying around by any chance?

Kind regards

Tim

38 minutes ago, TimRusso said:

Hi there Martin. You don't happen to still have this lying around by any chance?

Kind regards

Tim

I certainly do. Message me.

• 3 months later...

Any chance anyone has one of these extenders lying around still, or know where to get one locally?

I've run in to a slight steerer length problem on my new build :P 

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-02 at 12.31.08.jpeg

Edited by Nic Brigando