2x10 to 1x12 is it worth it??

Stevief

Doing the gearing calcs is useful. Then pair these numbers with how your existing gearing feels when you ride.

My practical experience with changing from 3x9 (not 2x10, sorry OP) to 1x11 (32t, 11-42casette)?:

On the 3x9 I could happily ride the Argus, screaming along Ladies Mile, and also climb all the uphills in Jonkershoek. I'm definitely more of a spinner than a grinder.

On the 1x11, it feels like I am missing 1 and 1/2 granny gears and at least 2 at the top end.

My gearing calcs showed that with 3x9 I had about 13 unique gears, rest of the 27 combinations were similar enough to be the same. So difference to 1x11 was about what I was feeling when riding.

If I had 1x12, I would need a 34t chain ring to get the ratio where I was happily spinning up the climbs but would still be at least 1 ratio short at the top end. But I don't think that I would miss this often.

Maybe this has given you some ideas.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently, well 2 weeks ago actually, went the 1x12 route. Coming from a 1x11 XT setup i now have the Eagle GX shifter, derailleur and chain, but the 11-50 Sunrace cassette...

On my 1x11 setup i ran a 32t upfront, but with the 1x12 setup now i changed to a 34t upfront. 

I haven't yet needed the 50 at the back but i'm very happy with the change, not only for gear ratio aspect but the shifting on this eagle is just so much better than the XT.

The 34t upfront does make a difference on the flats though. 

There will always be the experts that will say change to1/12 but all these setups will cost you some top or bottom end. Then there is the issue of changing front blades for certain race conditions, me Im lazy so I will stay with 2/10.

The replacement costs is also a factor I keep my eye on xt specials for cassette/chain combos. The costs of some of the 1by setups are just crazy.

I just recently, well 2 weeks ago actually, went the 1x12 route. Coming from a 1x11 XT setup i now have the Eagle GX shifter, derailleur and chain, but the 11-50 Sunrace cassette...

On my 1x11 setup i ran a 32t upfront, but with the 1x12 setup now i changed to a 34t upfront. 

I haven't yet needed the 50 at the back but i'm very happy with the change, not only for gear ratio aspect but the shifting on this eagle is just so much better than the XT.

The 34t upfront does make a difference on the flats though. 

Wow, I love my XT groupset and was very intrigued by your comment that is so much better than the XT.

What is your opinion/experience with the gear ratio of the 11-50 of Sunrace? 

How is the spacing compared to your previous Shimano cassette? I also see there is an 11spd 11-50 option too, why did you not go for that option? 

Sorry if I derail the thread a little.

My drivetrain on my trusty 2014  Spez Camber is basically done, i need new cassette, chain, front rings etc.  Hell even my derailer is due a replacement.

Ive always had 2x10 sram mixed with xt derailers front and back including xt shifters.  QUestion is this, should i replace what needs to be replaced for approx R5k or go the 1x12 route with the sram GX for approx R7k.  I ride in the Western Cape with some steep hills, lots of technical trails and a few marathan/stage races thrown in.

IS the 1x12 capable of giving me the Granny gear i love so much on my 2x10 and will it have enough gearing for the long flats/downhills we sometimes have to contend with?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

what is you current gear ratio? what crank? if you go eagle you will need an xd driver and hopefully your can find one for your current rear hub. if you running 24/38 front coupled with a 11-36 back and 104BCD cranks then i would go 34T front chainring, XT 11spd derailleur and shifter with a 11-50 sunrace cassette. Will prob set you back R4K

There will always be the experts that will say change to1/12 but all these setups will cost you some top or bottom end

Its already been established that chances are slimmer taht you will have to sacrfice top or bottom end. Look at my post on the previous page

Then there is the issue of changing front blades for certain race conditions

Why? Do you currently swap blades based on the event? If you're covered with the ratio why would you want or need to change the front blade?

I Know this might be slightly off the topic but i'm upgrading from an old 3 x 10 to a 1 x 11 and wanted to know what the comparative ratios would be?

current 3 x 10 setup: front = 40-30-22t

rear = 11-36

upgrade 1 x 11 setup: front = 33t 

rear = 11-42t 

I Know this might be slightly off the topic but i'm upgrading from an old 3 x 10 to a 1 x 11 and wanted to know what the comparative ratios would be?

current 3 x 10 setup: front = 40-30-22t

rear = 11-36

upgrade 1 x 11 setup: front = 33t 

rear = 11-42t 

Here you go

post-1575-0-68271200-1510046326_thumb.jpg

I have the XT 34t with 11/42 cassette. Don't think I have ever ridden in the 42 in over a year of use. And I am not a strong climber

Wow, I love my XT groupset and was very intrigued by your comment that is so much better than the XT.

What is your opinion/experience with the gear ratio of the 11-50 of Sunrace? 

How is the spacing compared to your previous Shimano cassette? I also see there is an 11spd 11-50 option too, why did you not go for that option? 

Sorry if I derail the thread a little.

Dit was maar agv dat dit deel was van n combo special wat Flandria Cycle gehad het (ek sien Bike Addict verkoop dit ook as n deal) en met die sunrace cassette het ek nie nodig om my freehub te vervang na n XD driver nie.

En sunrace cassettes is goedkoper as Sram cassettes... 

I have done the conversion from a Sram 2x10 groupset running 24/36 up front and 11-36 at the back to the GX eagle with a 32 tooth up front. 

I can honestly say that the gear shifting is much quicker and quieter and I haven't missed any top or bottom end gearing. I have used the 50 tooth on a few occasions when climbing some sttep sections of trail. We do a lot of gravel or even tar riding on our MTBs and I have never been found wanting for top end speed compared to some friends riding 2x11 set ups.

In my opinion it is a worth while upgrade. You won't miss out on much in terms of gear ratios. I haven't had experience with the Sunrace cassette but if you going 12 speed I would go the whole Eagle route and not mix. It works best like that.  

attachicon.gifRatio 2.JPG

It all depends on what you're currently running. 

"Always" is not quite right. As above, tell us what you're currently running then we can have a look. 

Im Running the following 

Chainrings 36/22 Tooth with Alloy Guard             Cassette SRAM PG-1030, 10-Speed, 11-36 Tooth

Thanks for the help

I built up a new bike earlier this year, and I went with an XT 2x11.

I then got the e-13 cassette, not for the 46 tooth, but for that little 9 tooth guy on the bottom. Combined with a 38 on the front (the biggest my frame will allow) I am at least close to the older gear ratios of 3x9 and 3x10 setups.

I was not prepared to sacrifice top end speed just to get up a hill

And I still think 1x12 setups look silly with the tiny chainring on the front and the dinner plate on the back!

Now get off my lawn!!

attachicon.gifRatio 2.JPG

It all depends on what you're currently running. 

"Always" is not quite right. As above, tell us what you're currently running then we can have a look. 

Im Running the following 

Chainrings 36/22 Tooth with Alloy Guard             Cassette SRAM PG-1030, 10-Speed, 11-36 Tooth

Thanks for the help

It'll be BLOODY difficult  impossible to replicate that mix, Stevie. You'd need a 30t on the front with an 11-50 at the back for the granny, but then you'd lose out properly on the top end. 

IMO in this case it's a matter of replacing with 2x10 or 2x11. Keep your 2x, in other words. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I have done the conversion from a Sram 2x10 groupset running 24/36 up front and 11-36 at the back to the GX eagle with a 32 tooth up front. 

In my opinion it is a worth while upgrade. You won't miss out on much in terms of gear ratios. I haven't had experience with the Sunrace cassette but if you going 12 speed I would go the whole Eagle route and not mix. It works best like that.  

Same position for me, 'cept mine's XT.

Just went 1x now, 34 up front. It's great. You will not be sorry. 

It'll be BLOODY difficult  impossible to replicate that mix, Stevie. You'd need a 30t on the front with an 11-50 at the back for the granny, but then you'd lose out properly on the top end. 

IMO in this case it's a matter of replacing with 2x10 or 2x11. Keep your 2x, in other words. 

Thanks Myles, i guess if i can sacrifice a bit of  the top end i would be prepared to but maybe you right im happy with 2x10.  Just thought ditching the front shifter, and FD would be a good way to go.