Looking For Low Cost Carbon Road Wheel Importer

love2fly

PM me your cell number. I know someone who brings in and brands his own carbon wheels and frames.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

I am looking for a set of low cost carbon clincher wheels for my roadbike.

My only options so far are Concept - Can't help till January and a bike shop in the W Cape.

\I'm NOT looking for used, and price b=needs to be around 10k or a tad more....

Must be available to see in JHB...

Giant carbon slr 30mm wheel ?? they go for about R10k. Only just a few reviews on it but most I found online have been good.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/slr-0-carbon-climbing-road-black

Anything new in your price range are going to be cheap Chinese or rebranded cheap Chinese.

Some guys swear by them, I wouldn't risk it.

I agree that rather get a good set of aluminum wheels.

Just like everything even the 'cheap' carbon rims / sets have gone up in the last 18 month. Can't believe how much Darkhorse are now even on sale. 

Options for that money isn't a huge amount so you can a) import from a good maker like Lightbike b) try to find someone local who is importing from a cheaper manufacturer and sticking stickers on them and making a margin c) buy second hand - this doesn't have the used as there are enough guys who will pull off giant branded wheels and put on some R-Sys even thought the new carbon wheels on the TCR etc have insane reviews and a stupidly high heat tolerance and fade points.

Personally if you don't want to bring them in then go with the one of the biggest manufacturers of carbon products... Giant! Local support as well. 

Or wait until Black Friday and score something overseas. CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Probikekit and the rest usual pump out carbon hoops when that rolls around. 

I've alway wondered why people go for heavy, cheap carbon over expert alu like American Classic when the 420's come in so well priced, light stiff and the hubs are so good. 

Edited by hellocolour

both front and back started folding.

it was the new gen model with the U shaped rims.

my mates front wheel did exactly the same a few months later.

we both had them warranty replaced (good service by DH in that regard). and sold them immediately 

I have also heard mixed reports/feelings on DH wheels.

How much do you weight?

2 mates that both weight 100plus had them fail. Another 2 buddies who weight 70 odd have had no issues. Seems their weight limit it not that high.

https://www.facebook.com/chainlinecycleworks/

Hi there

I am looking for a set of low cost carbon clincher wheels for my roadbike.

My only options so far are Concept - Can't help till January and a bike shop in the W Cape.

\I'm NOT looking for used, and price b=needs to be around 10k or a tad more....

Must be available to see in JHB...

Im a way, im kinda glad to hear i am not the only person that has had DH wheels problems, after being told by my LBS they have never heard of this problem before and DH are brilliant with no complaints ever.

After so many issues and frustration I have given up on DH and bought some of these ZIPPS, got them two weeks ago at R18500

I see American Classic have full carbon at a even better price and Bontrager have also launched a Sub R20 Set of full carbon wheels

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/zipp-302-carbon-clincher-wheelset

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/cycling-components/bike-wheels/road-bike-wheels-wheelsets/bontrager-aeolus-5-tlr-d3-clincher-road-wheel/p/12512/?colorCode=black

I have some light-bicycle 45mm clinchers. You can get them on DT Swiss hubs which makes for a great set. Definitely worth checking out.

Thanks did you have to import yourself?

Was hoping to deal with an importer and order off the shelf or get them built up...

I have also heard mixed reports/feelings on DH wheels.

How much do you weight?

2 mates that both weight 100plus had them fail. Another 2 buddies who weight 70 odd have had no issues. Seems their weight limit it not that high.

They are for my brother (90KG). I have ridden bad quality Sram's that broke spokes and Low cost Concept Carbon guaranteed to 120KG and I was 120kg at that time...