Road tyre punctures during 947?

Mr lee

I had no issue with my Vredestein 700x25c's, but the charity I rode for had a ton (one person had 7 I believe)

Looking at the state of most of those tyres, they could have had none just by replacing them before race day.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Continental Gators 700 x 23C pumped to 8 bar, no punctures.

One poor guy in L group got a flat on the first hill out Steyn City. 

8 bar on a tyre with so little give?! Strong man! 

Not going to mention my tire combo, because Patches had a lot of punctures on them. And his friend even more. So statistically speaking, don't ride Spez Turbo's if you are Patches' friend. Else, you should be ok (touch wood).

No, I want some so badly! 

at the start, i saw a father pull a thorn from his sons rear wheel and then you hear the dreaded hiss. Apparently they collected the thorn on the grass while walking from the can. 

A few minutes later, saw another guy pull a thorn from his wheel and then the dreaded hiss. 

Last year, we were well informed to carry our bikes and be careful of the thorns. Seems people do not know about this hazard.  

Schwalbe One - 700x23c - apart from some dust and dirt not a puncture or mark in over 187km this year and rode the same pair last year too... so that almost 300km of 947 riding. 

I also train and race on the same wheels and tyres so no punctures in 2 years - unsure of mileage.

No punctures 

Running Conti 4000s 23mm pumped to 8bar

Hit the one bump and thought I had gotten a puncture but all was good (except my legs)

I can confirm. Never had any issues until I mentioned my combo on another thread and read Patches reply. Had my first puncture running that combo the next day. And no, I'm not even joking.

But are you Patches friend? Because that's the only logical reason for having punctures on that combo... :whistling:

No, I want some so badly! 

Get them, they're brilliant. 4000km of pure bliss on those! Except if you're Patches friend, then you will get punctures. 

Note: I've only heard Patches complain about them, so all above said in jest.

But are you Patches friend? Because that's the only logical reason for having punctures on that combo... :whistling:

Get them, they're brilliant. 4000km of pure bliss on those! Except if you're Patches friend, then you will get punctures. 

Note: I've only heard Patches complain about them, so all above said in jest.

Why didn't he just patch them..? ;) :P

Conti 4000s - Rear blowout near megawatt park. Caused by hitting the edge of a rock in the road about 5kms earlier, damaged the sidewall. Had to stop again a few km's further down the highway to fix a related slow puncture - Probably pinched the tube fitting the gator. 
Was a leisurely ride after that really enjoying the atmosphere alongside the route. 

Conti 4000s have been really good to me for many kms over the years so I don't fault them.

Mechanical issues (rear seized hub) prevented me from even making the start line.

As a result, no punctures  :clap:  :clap: Michelin Endurance Pro V4

To those in the know, what could cause a seized hub? Wheel was fine Saturday when prepping everything. Only thing I can think of is that it must of bumped on the bike rack??

Either your bearings are shot or the freewheel hub (the clicky bit) had zero grease. Open up, inspect, drop me a PM if you need bearings (NOT CERAMIC), or go to your local LBS and give them something to do now that 947 is finished  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

25mm Gp4000s, no issues. Remember to ride in the centre of the roads when you have full closure, and not through the dirt like we do on training rides.

Same here and at 8bar

Never ridden 25's but lots enthuse about them so I bought a pair of 25 Gators on special at 947 expo to try out. 

In 16 events (and 20 laps), I’ve only ever had 2 punctures, at the same event - Conti Gatorskins 23mm. The problem was the rim tape at the valve causing a puncture at the valve stem.

I try park close to a tar road so that there us minimal walking/carrying the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 16 events (and 20 laps), I’ve only ever had 2 punctures, at the same event - Conti Gatorskins 23mm. The problem was the rim tape at the valve causing a puncture at the valve stem.

I try park close to a tar road so that there us minimal walking/carrying the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always, always, always carry the bike from the bike rack to the first piece of clean tarred road.

On the way back I might be a bit lazy and ride on the dirt right up to the car.