Giro d'Italia 2018: The Most Beautiful Grand Tour

'Dale

http://www.steephill.tv/2018/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-09/570-GMD_7573.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He struggled badly over the last few kms and was over a minute down, whilst it is a long way to go and some big mountains still to come, Michelton Scott have Yates and Chaves 1 & 2 and both are looking strong.... am thinking the lost time is significant and maybe too much already!

I don't think it is that simple!

firstly - from first week, mitchelton scott have had the best team. Jack Haig has been huge for them, but they also got kreuziger and nieve - they have got some other guys not riding (durbo, impey, howson - but this is basically a team they could have taken to TdF). BUT to win from here they would need to keep Yates in pink till the time trial, build up a lead there and then win it back if needed. Far from a forgone conclusion, but they're looking damn good so far.

With Froome, his plan is clearly to do Giro/TdF double. so he would very scientifically have come in a little bit underdone - to grind through this week and peak in the important third week. We don't know how this will turn out, but I don't think 2:30 back is too much to pull back on the last two weeks.

I reckon the happiest oke could be dumoulin. he's not that far back, has come through the mountains 'comfortably' and has even some teammates near the end this year.

I think Pinot looks a solid bet for podium too at this stage

Give the poor guy a break man, he finished well yesterday!

Maincheese oh Maincheese..... Where aaaaaaaaare you?

1min down yesterday..and now over 5min down on GC...things are not going to plan for him.

Pity Ben O'Connor also went down when Froome went down on Saturday he had a mechanical issues because of the fall and lost a bit of time..he is really riding well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah we have to remember that hitting form this early in the year will be new ground for him..he is normally very avg in May so he probably had to adjust his approach a bit.Think we will see him strong in the 3rd week and potentially also peak at vuelta..let hope for some good days for DDD.

Don't forget Nibbles' overhaul in 2016, it's not over until they cross the last finish line, still a lot of road to cover.

"Acupuncture"

post-275-0-43634300-1526286834_thumb.jpg

I think that Froome is done for. I like the guy but. Last year he did not put much time in on the climbs (only seconds). He put time in with opportune moves and not on the climbs in the TDF.

Can he do it now at the Giro maybe but I don't see it.

I think it's a bit early to write him off, there's a lot of climbing still to come, I also think his cautious attitude is actually quite good as he's still very young, so he's gaining very valuable experience. (But I'm a fan so obviously biased)

1min down yesterday..and now over 5min down on GC...things are not going to plan for him.

Pity Ben O'Connor also went down when Froome went down on Saturday he had a mechanical issues because of the fall and lost a bit of time..he is really riding well.

Yeah we have to remember that hitting form this early in the year will be new ground for him..he is normally very avg in May so he probably had to adjust his approach a bit.Think we will see him strong in the 3rd week and potentially also peak at vuelta..

But I thought Tim Kerrison and Sky said that you should always be race ready. Peaking was the old way of training. "Race to Train".

But I thought Tim Kerrison and Sky said that you should always be race ready. Peaking was the old way of training. "Race to Train".

Froome not so race ready at the moment..but to be fair the last time they followed the race ready approach was Wigo days..and maybe Froome year 1 and 2. Trying to win 2 grand tours is way different so we have nor seen them win like that for some time.

I think it's a bit early to write him off, there's a lot of climbing still to come, I also think his cautious attitude is actually quite good as he's still very young, so he's gaining very valuable experience. (But I'm a fan so obviously biased)

The goal was top 5..he won't make it..even if he doesn't lose any more time in the mnts stages he will lose a lot of time to his competitors on the ITT..and sorry to say I don't see him being audacious enough to attack and try gain back some time... I do however see Ben O'O'Connor giving it a go for that White jersey.

Why doesn't Meintjes change objective and go for the KOM.

DDD are desperate for results..any result.

Edited by Gen

Re Froome. They tried a formula last year to try and win 2 Grand Tours in succession. It worked, but meant that he went in with less into the TdF and had some left in the Tank for Vuelta. But they did it with 2 Tours that they know really well, have raced before and worked on winning before. 

Everybody wrote him off in the first week of the TdF last year as well. Saying that, I know they are only trying this double because money was involved. They haven't been successful in any of their Giro attempts. Wiggens tried after his Tour win and could not cope.

Maybe he will get into better form, but having strong guys at the Giro and TdF will be hard to beat, especially with Scott sending a super team to this race and Movistar having a super team at TdF.

Du-My-Lawn also hinted at aspirations of a double, maybe he is executing SKYs playbook of last years TdF-Vuelta better that SKY themselves are able to at the moment. Not pushing to hard now, but taking time where he knows he has an advantage.

P.S. He also looks even more strange on his bike than always, more upright, as if they gave him someone else's bike (someone shorter).

Re Froome. They tried a formula last year to try and win 2 Grand Tours in succession. It worked, but meant that he went in with less into the TdF and had some left in the Tank for Vuelta. But they did it with 2 Tours that they know really well, have raced before and worked on winning before.

Everybody wrote him off in the first week of the TdF last year as well. Saying that, I know they are only trying this double because money was involved. They haven't been successful in any of their Giro attempts. Wiggens tried after his Tour win and could not cope.

Maybe he will get into better form, but having strong guys at the Giro and TdF will be hard to beat, especially with Scott sending a super team to this race and Movistar having a super team at TdF.

Du-My-Lawn also hinted at aspirations of a double, maybe he is executing SKYs playbook of last years TdF-Vuelta better that SKY themselves are able to at the moment. Not pushing to hard now, but taking time where he knows he has an advantage.

P.S. He also looks even more strange on his bike than always, more upright, as if they gave him someone else's bike (someone shorter).

The plan mostly worked because of the easier first week in Tdf and the lack of TT competition.He was never forced into the red really so he could manage fatigue and form..even when he was ready in the 3rd week no-one really tested him so he basically got a free pass at Tdf..even with all that in his favour he still was smashed at the end of the vuelta.

Now this double is completely different..difficult first week..serious TT competition for once and climbers all over.If he wins this it is going to mess him up big time.Not going to plan thats for sure..I am hoping to see a fighting Froome..thats all.

The plan mostly worked because of the easier first week in Tdf and the lack of TT competition.He was never forced into the red really so he could manage fatigue and form..even when he was ready in the 3rd week no-one really tested him so he basically got a free pass at Tdf..even with all that in his favour he still was smashed at the end of the vuelta.

Now this double is completely different..difficult first week..serious TT competition for once and climbers all over.If he wins this it is going to mess him up big time.Not going to plan thats for sure..I am hoping to see a fighting Froome..thats all.

1 less rider per team at the GTs is also making things even more interesting..