Giro d'Italia 2018: The Most Beautiful Grand Tour

'Dale

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scenery yesterday, wow.

My podium after week 1 looks like Tummy D, Simon Says and Pinot.

Michelton-Scott will have to do a lot to stay in control for another 2 weeks. So far, it's theirs to lose as their team strength is solid and Yates is good with the 'race of truth'.

Then again, there's lot of tarmac to Rome.

Anything can happen.

feat-1280x774.jpg

1 less rider per team at the GTs is also making things even more interesting..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes will for sure but up to now Froome have been surrounded with team mates but the competition is redhot and he has had bad luck and trying to time form and manage fatigue looks like a bad idea right now.

I think when we hit the 3rd week the smaller team will make a difference.When you trying to control from the front it will be hard and keeping the race in check day after day might become a challenge.Lets see if it creates the incentive to be more attacking.

Conto would have loved a 3rd week with smaller teams...

So the race will be won / lost in the TT?

Remember Ryder taking it off Purito there, that was an injustice if there ever was one.

Re Froome. They tried a formula last year to try and win 2 Grand Tours in succession. It worked, but meant that he went in with less into the TdF and had some left in the Tank for Vuelta. But they did it with 2 Tours that they know really well, have raced before and worked on winning before. 

Everybody wrote him off in the first week of the TdF last year as well. Saying that, I know they are only trying this double because money was involved. They haven't been successful in any of their Giro attempts. Wiggens tried after his Tour win and could not cope.

Maybe he will get into better form, but having strong guys at the Giro and TdF will be hard to beat, especially with Scott sending a super team to this race and Movistar having a super team at TdF.

Du-My-Lawn also hinted at aspirations of a double, maybe he is executing SKYs playbook of last years TdF-Vuelta better that SKY themselves are able to at the moment. Not pushing to hard now, but taking time where he knows he has an advantage.

P.S. He also looks even more strange on his bike than always, more upright, as if they gave him someone else's bike (someone shorter).

the Tour-Vuelta double is waaaay easier.

You go all in for the tour, and if you can handle it, then you do Vuelta and take your chances - the big fish is always the TdF, so if you've won that your season is automatically a success.

This way round, you end up potentially messing up both races, and essentially your season if things go bad in the Giro.

I'm surprised the Giro/Vuelta double has never been done - it is the "easiest" of the three combos

I think that Froome is done for. I like the guy but. Last year he did not put much time in on the climbs (only seconds). He put time in with opportune moves and not on the climbs in the TDF.

Can he do it now at the Giro maybe but I don't see it.

Yates is looking incredibly good, like a Duracell bunny. If he keeps his lead after the TT or limits his (expected) losses.... no one will be able to keep in touch with him.

Umm Chavez....  just cant bring myself to like this guy

By all rights he comes across as a nice guy

BUT something about him just pings my distrust meter

32253578_2083920398288062_96487801379776

Rest day ???? with Froome Dawg

His primary focus remains the 5th maillot jaune

It'll be a tough challenge with all the distractions and speculations

Umm Chavez....  just cant bring myself to like this guy

By all rights he comes across as a nice guy

BUT something about him just pings my distrust meter

Whats not to like? 

Trust? He's a pro cyclist!