Giro d'Italia 2018: The Most Beautiful Grand Tour

'Dale

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind starting in Israel?

There's a broader vision to globalize the sport.

There's also a newly formed Israel Academy team which is at Pro Conti level

And there's a financial incentive for the company that owns the race, RCS Sport, to start in Jerusalem.

Above all else, those who owns the gold coins, gets to make the decisions.

Does it serve cycling? In a way.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind starting in Israel?

Just like bidding to host the Olympics or world cups, individual towns and regions bid to host the Grand Tours. Same goes for the starting portions of the Tours that fall outide the host country. Israel made the winning bid. Money is the logic.

There's a broader vision to globalize the sport.

There's also a newly formed Israel Academy team which is at Pro Conti level

And there's a financial incentive for the company that owns the race, RCS Sport, to start in Jerusalem.

Above all else, those who owns the gold coins, gets to make the decisions.

Does it serve cycling? In a way.

I think it does serve cycling. Competitive bidding means more money flows into the sport. The controversy might even improve viewership

I think it does serve cycling. Competitive bidding means more money flows into the sport. The controversy might even improve viewership

I just wish more of that money would make it's way to the teams[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

“It’s a unique situation for me, having won the Tour and Vuelta and now having the opportunity to go to the Giro and attempt to win a third consecutive Grand Tour... It’s really exciting to be able to take on a new challenge, to do something that perhaps people wouldn’t expect and to mix it up."

Froome Dawg

Looking forward to it ! 

Froome Dawg had better bring his man legs along ...

Ja and now they are looking at contingency plans if they have to move the start ...[emoji20]

Check out @gregorbrown’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/gregorbrown/status/940298641994022912?s=09

i think contingency plans were always a part of the thinking!

What does make it a bit crazy is that it's

a)a rest day after 3 days of riding (including a 9.5km prologue)

b)a MASSIVE transport nightmare!

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Eilat,+Israel/Catania,+Province+of+Catania,+Italy/@37.3960185,14.3866442,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x150071e324795e0b:0xfe1d95f85577f6db!2m2!1d34.951925!2d29.557669!1m5!1m1!1s0x1313e2dd761525b5:0x58fe876151c83cf0!2m2!1d15.0830304!2d37.5078772!3e0

I'm guessing teams aren't even going to take all their buses and stuff to israel, because other than that a chartered ferry is the only other viable option!

(Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida), Romain Bardet (AG2R-La Mondiale), Rigoberto Uran (EF Education Frist-Drapac) and Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo) have all confirmed they will target the Tour de France in 2018.)

Perhaps he knows something we don't and hasn't taken salbutamol ever?

Yes he does.. if Froome lines up he will be very cautious with his inhaler during the race...May + odd weather..= infection..[emoji6]

Archived