MTB Solo Safety

OutdoorJunkie

Hi Hubbers,

What do you carry for protection/ self defence on your mtb when riding solo into the bush? I know we aren't supposed to ride alone in the bush this day and age, but alas...

Anyone carry a pistol, if yes, how?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

We've had some hectic issues outside our mtb park when some guys ride home. None of us carry pistols, if you fall with a pistol you'll probably end up hurting yourself.

But almost all of us do have knives. Mine is attached to my Camelbak.

A friend has one attached to his frame. He takes it off as soon as we are done riding though as we leave our bikes hanging outside.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

We've had some hectic issues outside our mtb park when some guys ride home. None of us carry pistols, if you fall with a pistol you'll probably end up hurting yourself.

But almost all of us do have knives. Mine is attached to my Camelbak.

A friend has one attached to his frame. He takes it off as soon as we are done riding though as we leave our bikes hanging outside.

What ever happened to the case of the guy who killed those 2 attackers with his knife? The whole thing seems to have gone very quiet.

What ever happened to the case of the guy who killed those 2 attackers with his knife? The whole thing seems to have gone very quiet.

Yeah seems like it did go quiet. I saw the guy at the park once, since. Didn't ask any questions. But the best protection imo is to ride with mates. Be a group and you'll be safe.

There is a fairly long thread on this somewhere. In short a summary is be trained regardless of your choice on the form of protection. 

Personally I carry a knife, a folder, which is clipped on my camelback or my shorts depending on my gut feel. I also carried a FA for some time in the holster shown below, however the holster was re-purposed and I need to get a new one. If you fall on the FA it is going to hurt, however from my crashes in the past I tend not to fall on my chest, normally side/back and if I go for a face plant my arms normally prevents my chest from hitting.

http://guns-tactics.co.za/shop/chest-holster/

Hectic, I know a guy here in Cascades was robbed and almost beaten to death a few months ago. I agree with being trained in whatever you choose, I have been thinking about fastening one of these telescopic Batons to my top tube or handlebars as it would also dish out some hurt and has some range. 

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/283257523/Expandable_Batons_24cm_0_57kg.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUis8STiBt6vHAX1XQdNay_8RFIAodbps9ZEo2o1FXD_S97-Dfqhg31RoCyqwQAvD_BwE

I like that holster Letum911, part of the reason I'm asking about carrying a pistol is that I have been seriously considering buying a pistol, as I don't have one yet.

Flick-knife in my pocket but as far as I am concerned they can have the sodding bike.

Not worth getting killed over as most of these thieving things come in groups or have firearms.

I like that holster Letum911, part of the reason I'm asking about carrying a pistol is that I have been seriously considering buying a pistol, as I don't have one yet.

If you don't own one yet I'm going to assume you are not 100% at ease with carrying and using a firearm? Perhaps I've assumed incorrectly, but if that is the case don't even think of riding with one until you've trained extensively with it at a range.

The scenarios of having to use a firearm while out riding almost always involve being pushed/bashed off your bike and some sort of rushed attack, usually by multiple people. You need to be highly pro-efficient at carrying and handling a gun in that situation to have a positive outcome.

Hectic, I know a guy here in Cascades was robbed and almost beaten to death a few months ago. I agree with being trained in whatever you choose, I have been thinking about fastening one of these telescopic Batons to my top tube or handlebars as it would also dish out some hurt and has some range. 

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/283257523/Expandable_Batons_24cm_0_57kg.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUis8STiBt6vHAX1XQdNay_8RFIAodbps9ZEo2o1FXD_S97-Dfqhg31RoCyqwQAvD_BwE

If you are going the FA route, make sure that you do enough training. This is something that people tend to neglect and accept that a pistol is a trump all card. As for choice in pistol, make sure it's a size that you are comfortable with and can conceal properly. I own a Glock 21, if I had to buy again (which I will in 2 years time), I will never buy a full frame, and go compact or sub-compact with the G19 as a maximum in size.

Regarding the batton, deploy-ability is a massive issue. Especially when it is tied to your bike. Odds are that in the majority of the attacks you will be knocked off your bike and therefore separated from it. Also if you are not efficiently trained you are going into a fight with a blunt force instrument which requires a fair amount of force to do damage with, knowing that you will most probably be hurt from the fall, is not a good idea. Ofcourse training can help overcome this. Minimum I would carry is a knife and possibly even a pepperspray (beam version).

Not only do they take your bike but they get firearm as bonus.

You could get clubbed before you can draw your gat - they work on an element of surprise.

Not only do they take your bike but they get firearm as bonus.

You could get clubbed before you can draw your gat - they work on an element of surprise.

Not always true. If the FA is properly concealed and you choose not to draw they will never know. If your life is in danger, you use all means necessary to protect your life, as with the newest incident in Centurion/Irene, they took the rider's life and not only his bike.

Hence the emphasis on training and preparation, how to protect your life, when to draw, when to stand back and let them take the bike.

As for choice in pistol, make sure it's a size that you are comfortable with and can conceal properly. I own a Glock 21, if I had to buy again (which I will in 2 years time), I will never buy a full frame, and go compact or sub-compact with the G19 as a maximum in size.

G26 or G43 ?

the bigger issue with riding solo is when the k@k hits the fan, look at the van gaalen's incident, do you want to be stuck alone injured when no one knows where you are?

I used to do big solo rides often out pretoria east way, but walking 30km home carrying your bike when you have cut both sidewalls open diving off the dirt road for cover from hail and your phone is wet from hail/rain so you can't call for help is not fun, trust me...

G26 or G43 ?

I have not shot either so cannot comment on that. The G43 I would stay away from as anything else that an extreme concealment FA, just due to the magazine capacity. 6 rounds puts you on a back foot in my opinion, especially if you are in a precarious situation.

G26 is a very versatile piece, it's small but can carry extended magazines. I would most likely get a magshoe to go up to 12 capacity for daily carry. 

Archived