Hazeldean Valley Trails

Cois

Sorry if this has been dealt with, but going to rely on the collective knowledge of BikeHub.

I have two days where the SO will be at work, and I will be at home. As I hate to be home with nothing to keep me busy and not being able to go for a run (due to an injury), I would like to go and feel if I can cycle with my leg.

(I slipped on a tile last week at work, and struggle to walk)

I know CowHouse Market is close to home (about 5 minutes away) so I thought I will scout the location before the SO joins me. The SO hates Rosemary hill.

So the questions. Is there parking like on weekends? Can you get easy access to the bike parts? What is the cost of entering on weekdays? And how do I make the payment (card or cash)?

I want to get on the bike again, after being off the bike for more than a year. And I feel that it is time to get back on track with cycling. I am getting way too fat and do not enjoy being this fat grumpy, hateful asshole that I became in the last two and a half years.

Hey Cois.

Nice talking to yourself there bud.  hahahahah.

First q.  Why a hate for Rosemary?

Cowshed is okay.  Nothing technical.  Bit of zig zag riding taking you up and down a piece of open veld with nice sections in between.

The beer afterwards is okay.

Parking is plentiful.  So no worries there.

R40 per person per day.  I guess this will go up in 2018

I have only been there once, found the place a bit on the boring side of life with very few technical pieces. Are you specifically looking cause it's nearby or looking for new spots in general?

Cowhouse isn't bad. Given they only had a very flat piece of earth to work with they've done quite well and trying to expand continually. For someone starting out or looking to get back in it, it is actually the ideal place. No hills, no technical bits, just flat flowing trail.

During the week you can pay at Bruce Reyneke cycles. I usually just scan the snapscan barcode at the market.

Lots of parking but if you're five minutes away it's probably easier to just ride there.

Sounds like you need to get out and ride ... :devil:

Hazeldean Trails are cool. Hop on your bike, ride there and enjoy it.

Hazeldean is a good day out if you add the trails as part of a longer ride, its flat with very little technical challenges, nice for a beginner and very safe

Rosemary i reckon has nicer singletrack

Hey Cois.

Nice talking to yourself there bud.  hahahahah.

First q.  Why a hate for Rosemary?

Cowshed is okay.  Nothing technical.  Bit of zig zag riding taking you up and down a piece of open veld with nice sections in between.

The beer afterwards is okay.

Parking is plentiful.  So no worries there.

R40 per person per day.  I guess this will go up in 2018

The wife does not like the bridges over everything.  She is just starting out so I am scouting a few locations that have little to no technical parts to it.

I have only been there once, found the place a bit on the boring side of life with very few technical pieces. Are you specifically looking cause it's nearby or looking for new spots in general?

something close by.  I will love to do rosemary again.  Love the place.  Only the road there is a bitch in a Nissan Livina XGear.  The last time I went there I had to stop at a tiger wheel and tire to fix a cut tire.  And that was from the old BHS roadside.  I do not know if they fixed the roads afterward, but I know that I do not want to fork out R2000 for a new tire again.

Sounds like you need to get out and ride ... :devil:

Hazeldean Trails are cool. Hop on your bike, ride there and enjoy it.

Well, I love my anal virginity. thus I have not committed murder yet.  I miss my commute in the mornings, but with the ass wipes on most of the roads in Pretoria, it was no longer safe to commute by bike.

And the SO is so scared of falling that she will rather not cycle (she fell about 4 times at RH)

and cycling on my own is no fun.  She still has to try to master the gear system and the upgrades to her bike. 

The wife does not like the bridges over everything.  She is just starting out so I am scouting a few locations that have little to no technical parts to it.

Well then Cowshed sounds about right then.

One or two bridges that I know off.

No technical sections.  So she should be fine.

I am in the same boat with my Mrs also walking as soon as things get a bit interesting.

something close by.  I will love to do rosemary again.  Love the place.  Only the road there is a bitch in a Nissan Livina XGear.  The last time I went there I had to stop at a tiger wheel and tire to fix a cut tire.  And that was from the old BHS roadside.  I do not know if they fixed the roads afterward, but I know that I do not want to fork out R2000 for a new tire again.

Can I perhaps suggest Big Red Barn? Take the wife on the green route. I think she will enjoy it. Not technical at all. Not that close to you though.

Cow-house is fun for someone starting out on 2 wheels and trying to keep the rubber side down. There are 1 or 2 minor rocky (ish) sections which she can easily avoid. She might enjoy the flat trails for now. most of the trees are well behaved and don't jump around, or in-front off, bikes anymore.There are a few distance options to choose from.

RH is a bit more fun, especially the 1st 10km loop, yes there are a bridge or 2 that may need some careful negotiating. All the technical sections do have chicken runs though

Beer at CH over weekends (Hazeldean brewing company) is nice and cold.

Since you are off whilst she is at work... why not hop on the bike and head out to CH, do a short loop, pedal down the road to RH and do a 10km fun section.

Hazeldean for you and the wife  :thumbup:

Wolwespruit for some serious workout for yourself while she is at work, you will thank me later... :devil:

Hazeldean for you and the wife  :thumbup:

Wolwespruit for some serious workout for yourself while she is at work, you will thank me later... :devil:

Go one up on Wolwe and do Tierpoort.

LOADS of solid MTBing!

Go one up on Wolwe and do Tierpoort.

LOADS of solid MTBing!

You can mtb in Tierpoort? I normally just ride through Tierpoort on my way to RH.

Archived