[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

Events Bot

Event Name: FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay
When: 26 October 2018 - 28 October 2018
Where: Lourensford, Somerset West, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Starting in the Winelands of Somerset West, riders will cross through (and over) 13 wineries, 26 private farms, six mountains, historic roads and mountain passes, nature conservation areas (including the Kogelberg Biosphere) before finishing within sight of the famous whales of Hermanus!

For more information on the FNB Wines2Whales MTB events please e-mail

chardonnay@wines2whales.com , pinotage@wines2whales.com or shiraz@wines2whales.com or visit

www.wines2whales.com

Go to Event Page

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Desperately need a team entry for 2018 please!

There seems to be some entries available for the Pinotage event.

I am also looking for an Chardonnay entry...

• 4 months later...

I see they send out a tweet that they sold out.  Was not sure that it was going to happen, but lots of luck for them and all that signed up

• 1 month later...

I have decided to pull out of the race because of the very high temperatures predicted for this week and the weekend. (34 degrees for Fri and Sat, 35 for Sun, and that is in the shade).

My wife must still decide if she wants to continue with another partner. Not willing to risk my health. Last year I rode the Monday when the temperature was predicted to be 32 (in reality it was between 36 and 42), and I barely survived the Monday over the mountain.

It is a very sad and demoralising situation for me, as I trained really hard.

If she decides not to continue, we might be selling our entry.

Edited by Moridin

I have decided to pull out of the race because of the very high temperatures predicted for this week and the weekend. (34 degrees for Fri and Sat, 35 for Sun, and that is in the shade).

My wife must still decide if she wants to continue with another partner. Not willing to risk my health. Last year I rode the Monday when the temperature was predicted to be 32 (in reality it was between 36 and 42), and I barely survived the Monday over the mountain.

It is a very sad and demoralising situation for me, as I trained really hard.

If she decides not to continue, we might be selling our entry.

Just stay out of the shade :-P

Good luck, hope you find a buyer.

Just stay out of the shade :-P

Good luck, hope you find a buyer.

My wife decided that she is going to ride. A friend of her sister has offered to ride in my place. He is a decent rider and fitter than me. My wife is an ex-Boland hurdles athlete, and is used to practice sport in the Boland summer heat, so she will be fine, as she was last year on the first 2 days of the midweek ride when it was also as hot.

Edited by Moridin

It was not lekker seeing my wife and replacement rider riding off into the crisp morning air. I felt like kicking something.

Bleak man! 

Safety first though!

It was not lekker seeing my wife and replacement rider riding off into the crisp morning air. I felt like kicking something.

Can imagine, but I do think you made the right decision  :thumbup:

There will always be another W2W or other stage race to do but sometimes we don't get second chances with our health..

My wife did ride this morning and had one awsome day!!

She did get hit by a fellow rider who rode faster than his skill could handle... all bruised-up but noting broked. Nice to see how they hold there own against the pro-riders! (Who are still much faster  than normal humans..)

Team Kekkel&Kloek are doing some low-level flying, for two chickens of course!!!

My wife did ride this morning and had one awsome day!!

She did get hit by a fellow rider who rode faster than his skill could handle... all bruised-up but noting broked. Nice to see how they hold there own against the pro-riders! (Who are still much faster  than normal humans..)

Team Kekkel&Kloek are doing some low-level flying, for two chickens of course!!!

Sounds like she found cannonball on course!!

Can imagine, but I do think you made the right decision  :thumbup:

There will always be another W2W or other stage race to do but sometimes we don't get second chances with our health..

Ja, Still feel like the bloke who organised a party, only to pitch and found everybody has taken all the sweets.

Would probably have been able to handle today with the bit of wind cooling you down, but tomorrow and Sunday is gonna be toasty with no wind at all. And that valley can get hot. So, yes.

Wife and my stand-in came in at around 14h30 after their 7h30 start. A bit worse for wear after the dusty trails. 

Apparently a few blokes wanted to donate their bikes to charity while climbing the Gantouw Pass.

Tomorrow is gonna be toasty. Take care if your riding. Expecting about 38 degrees out there. Hidrate enough.

Edited by Moridin