2018 PPA CycloSportif

LeoKnight

The 2018 race calendar for the Cyclosportif is available

28 Jan #1         Windmeul Winery                     91 km, 38 km

22 Apr #2         Simonsvlei Wine                      97 km; 38 km

03 Jun #3         Perdeberg Winery                    109 km; 39 km

01 Jul #4          Windmeul Winery                     91 km; 38 km (postponed)

16 Sep #5        Simonsvlei Wine                      97 km; 38 km

14 Oct #6         Perdeberg Winery                    109 km; 39 km 

02 Dec #4        Windmeul Winery                     91 km; 38 km (rescheduled)

I am sure it will be added later formally in the Events page

Edited by LeoKnight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I'm new to road riding and would like to enter this series, is this for certain roadies / racers or can anyone enter this event?

A brief description of these races would be nice.

Anyone can enter, you will be seeded according to your previous results (if any).

I've only managed to do the two Windmeul races this year.

It starts with a nice downhill as you Head out towards Wellington and then several fast rollers as you go towards Hermon and Bothmaskloof.  As you approach Bothmaskloof at about the 40km mark, your legs will tell you that the gradient is increasing before you hit the big hill.  It's about 4km and 200m with a little kick as you approach the top so don't burn yourself out too quickly.

as you head back towards Windmeul you will most likely have a headwind.  There are quite a few rollers and a dragging hill to contend with too.  When turning right towards the final stretch, your downhill bit that you had at the start is now a 5km/90m drag to the finish.

Anyone can do it, I did the last one on a mtb and was lots of fun. Yes generally it is more a roadie thing but anyone is welcome to join. And from my experience it is well organised and helps that more and more cyclist make use of this.

decisions decisions...also stuck between those 3. Last year did not enjoy the porcupine as much but that could have been due to being stuck behind others on the single track

oh and it being one of the races where it is longer than advertised lol

Edited by LeoKnight

Why are there no mtb events on the PPA calendar?

I have not done many road races the last 3 years but it is sad seeing so many cool races missing from the calendar which use to be going on for years

Why are there no mtb events on the PPA calendar?

I have not done many road races the last 3 years but it is sad seeing so many cool races missing from the calendar which use to be going on for years

Discussed this also recently, think the general consensus was that if any hubber is aware of a race they need to add the details to the events page and share it with the others. I tried to look between the races I know of last year, two other events websites and ppa to get a sense of all the ones I have a potential interest in

• 2 weeks later...

So the dilemma is solved it seems - Ashburton Grabouw race is no more? No sponsor as per other thread and I can find nothing about it on the web.

Porcupine on the Saturday and the Sportif on the Sunday.

Who's in?

So the dilemma is solved it seems - Ashburton Grabouw race is no more? No sponsor as per other thread and I can find nothing about it on the web.

Porcupine on the Saturday and the Sportif on the Sunday.

Who's in?

I'm in for both. Riding the medium route at Porcupine though. First time heading out that way so don't want to overcommit.

Looking forward to the climb on Sunday at around 38km as per below:

post-72594-0-36010300-1516004619_thumb.jpg

I'm doing the longer ride at porcupine and i remember that climb with no fondness at all from last year's ride because that's where i got dropped by my group riding into a nasty headwind.

It's all going to make me stronger ....

I'm in for both. Riding the medium route at Porcupine though. First time heading out that way so don't want to overcommit.

Looking forward to the climb on Sunday at around 38km as per below:

• 2 weeks later...

Riding my first PPA sportif this weekend. How is the turnout for these? Large and plentiful batches?

Riding my first PPA sportif this weekend. How is the turnout for these? Large and plentiful batches?

The last one (#5) last year was about 450 odd riders. Think there were about 7 or 8 groups in the soup. The other sportifs were smaller, especially in Winter.

I tried to enter today but the site indicates that entries are closed. Can one enter on the day ?