Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

Thanks very much.

Yeah, I've really started to like Mr Price Sports for workout clothes and casual wear. Very good value for money and quality so far has been good!

Work attire is still Edgar's, which can get quite pricey.

There's nothing wrong with Mr Price Sports stuff, I've mainly bought my riding shorts from them over the years, and I might get my next pair from them.

The missus has decided to get back on a bicycle, so we were looking online to compare prices of kit. Mr Price Sport ended up being the most cost effective, so we visited them over the weekend.

I bought two pairs of Levi jeans a few weeks ago, I thought I would spoil myself. Both size 36, and these days I have to wear a belt with them otherwise my crack is in view. So it'll be either I sell them later on, or have them altered. In 2012 I was a size 30 waist, then shot up to a size 38 (or 40 with some pants) in 2014. Nearing the end of 2015, I went down to a size 34. Jet and Ackermans will be seeing me again in the future.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this past weekend was complete debauchery with regards to food and drink, but you can't go to Up the Creek and not enjoy the party. Hopefully now the birthday celebrations are well and truly over (i do love my friends that they still see it as a reason to have shots more than 10 days after the actual event), I can buckle down and lose 3kg by the time the Argus rolls around.

There's nothing wrong with Mr Price Sports stuff, I've mainly bought my riding shorts from them over the years, and I might get my next pair from them.

The missus has decided to get back on a bicycle, so we were looking online to compare prices of kit. Mr Price Sport ended up being the most cost effective, so we visited them over the weekend.

I bought two pairs of Levi jeans a few weeks ago, I thought I would spoil myself. Both size 36, and these days I have to wear a belt with them otherwise my crack is in view. So it'll be either I sell them later on, or have them altered. In 2012 I was a size 30 waist, then shot up to a size 38 (or 40 with some pants) in 2014. Nearing the end of 2015, I went down to a size 34. Jet and Ackermans will be seeing me again in the future.

Get them altered. Will most likely improve the overall fit as well!

I've had to do the same with some expensive pants, the alteration really has improved the fit quite a lot. 

yeah. Off the shelf items are by their very design generic in nature. Personal tailoring, even a little bit, dramatically improves their fit and appearance. 

yeah. Off the shelf items are by their very design generic in nature. Personal tailoring, even a little bit, dramatically improves their fit and appearance. 

100% I have one pair of Element chino kinda pants that fit like a glove for the rest it is a hit and miss.

Ja man meal planing is a mission to get used to. I get home after work, brew some coffee and pack my meals while I wait for the brew, drink up and hit the gym.

On the gym note, can one do weights without bulking up? I don’t like the whole muscular beefcake look and I don’t want veins bulging all over the show either. I just want to keep my core strong and general strength as in my arms don’t go pap on long rides and whatever. I can already feel I don’t slouch so much so I presume thats my core getting stronger.

Body weight exercises. Not to be scoffed at. There are some very challenging exercises to be googled. If you feel you must hit the gym, stay away from machines. They tend to target a single muscle or a small group of muscles. Easier to bulk up that way. Use free weights instead. When used correctly you wil target a whole lot more muscles at the same time. To do it safely and correctly you are forced to engage your core before each repetition. Think different kinds of deadlifts and squats. As an added bonus, it will do absolue wonders for your ballance on the mtb trails.

So final weigh in for the month (I only weigh on Monday mornings) total loss for the month is 10,1kg.

WOW!!! Care to share some or all of your secrets? How much do you have to lose in total?

this past weekend was complete debauchery with regards to food and drink, but you can't go to Up the Creek and not enjoy the party. Hopefully now the birthday celebrations are well and truly over (i do love my friends that they still see it as a reason to have shots more than 10 days after the actual event), I can buckle down and lose 3kg by the time the Argus rolls around.

Argus is what I'm aiming for next year. I've only done one, and that was in 2012 when I was a lean "mean racing machine". I could have ridden it again in 2014, but I was too weighty to able to enjoy it, so I flew with my sister and brother in law who rode it that year, just to take in the vibe and it was an excuse to visit Cape Town again. On the day of the Argus, I was walking around the Waterfront, got tipsy on a few Brandy and Cokes, and watched a movie at Numetro V&A - it was good fun.

got some good news last night...i spent about 15 minutes chatting to a lady about my weight loss journey...it was at a christmas dinner at the end of last year...i saw pics of her 9 kg lighter yesterday.

she has been battling with her weight for a long time...tried every diet out there and just couldnt loose the weight and keep it off...i am so chuffed that our chat resulted in her putting in the right amount of effort to get the results required.

other good news today...i went into a supplier to collect something and the sales guy mentioned that he was "surprised" to see i am still under 100 kg...as he mentioned he has seen so many people loose tons of weight...but most just put it back on. 

these weight loss threads might seem like a load of *** to some people...i believe it they can inspire 1 person to loose weight...and keep it off...every tap on the keyboard is worth the effort. 

dont let a couple kg gain deter you from the journey...last year i went back up to 111 kg at one point due to a lack of focus...what is important...i put my head down and dropped back to 98 kg by the end of the year...the sad part is i still havent won the war...only a string of battles...and until i win the war i will keep at it. 

Edited by eccc whippet

What frustrates me no end....but should actually frustrate YOU NO END too, is that you keep sabotaging yourselves! I don't get it.

A few principles (on a very low horse and not preaching btw!), which I have found to work:

1. accept that you have an eating disorder (we ALL have one until we accept & change) - fuelled by a food industry that is designed to keep you hooked (sugar!!)

2. accept that you need a life-style change - not a "diet"

3. Eat healthy wholesome foods, cut out as much sugar as you can, AND exercise. Hard.

4. you will notice that after a small re-set and a few weeks, you don't miss the (sugar) cravings and just move on. Food doesn't control your life.

5. Control portion size! Downscale slowly and keep it there (low). don't overeat to eat to "store". When slightly full, stop. Eat a little when hungry.

5. have the odd naughty snack or beer (low kj, low alcohol, or do whiskey&water or in the Cape, with soda lol

There's probably more or others that will work better for you...but make this a discovery and enjoy discovering what makes your body tick and what not (excessive flatulation can be an indicator).

#justsaying #goodluck #discoveryourself #onelifeliveit

Argus is what I'm aiming for next year. I've only done one, and that was in 2012 when I was a lean "mean racing machine". I could have ridden it again in 2014, but I was too weighty to able to enjoy it, so I flew with my sister and brother in law who rode it that year, just to take in the vibe and it was an excuse to visit Cape Town again. On the day of the Argus, I was walking around the Waterfront, got tipsy on a few Brandy and Cokes, and watched a movie at Numetro V&A - it was good fun.

It's great to have a long term goal, and you'll surely make it if you keep going. I lost 10kg in 3 and half months about 2 years ago when I was specifically working towards Sani2c, and it made such a difference on the bike.

I need to buckle down a bit more, no more excuses. Weight has gone up over where it was when I started (pretty sure there is some water weight in that at least). Hopefully there will at least be a little drop by the February weigh-in  :blush:

WOW!!! Care to share some or all of your secrets? How much do you have to lose in total?

I have about 30 to loose before I am in the normal 12-16% body fat range and an additional 15 on top of that to get to my target 8% body fat (even then I will still weigh around 100-105 as I am quite a big boy 208cm tall)

I am not on a diet at all just completely cut out any processed foods and sugars, cut out all gluten, I watch my portions and train 8-10hours a week.

I have about 30 to loose before I am in the normal 12-16% body fat range and an additional 15 on top of that to get to my target 8% body fat (even then I will still weigh around 100-105 as I am quite a big boy 208cm tall)

I am not on a diet at all just completely cut out any processed foods and sugars, cut out all gluten, I watch my portions and train 8-10hours a week.

Wow! Thanks, that is very inspirational.

Body weight exercises. Not to be scoffed at. There are some very challenging exercises to be googled. If you feel you must hit the gym, stay away from machines. They tend to target a single muscle or a small group of muscles. Easier to bulk up that way. Use free weights instead. When used correctly you wil target a whole lot more muscles at the same time. To do it safely and correctly you are forced to engage your core before each repetition. Think different kinds of deadlifts and squats. As an added bonus, it will do absolue wonders for your ballance on the mtb trails.

Awesome man! I think I’m on the right track with this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1r9toPQNkM