Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

Just come back from a visit to the Chiropractor, for body alignment, and he says I have Scoliosis - it's a sideways curvature of the spine. He says it is treatable, but he doesn't recommend that I carry on with running. So to lose weight I'll have to get back on the bicycle, do some walking, and do some Tae Bo. Those Asics have now become expensive walking shoes.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*** news, but look on the positive side. It's treatable.

A positive attitude will be a big help.

My mother has MS, and when it was diagnosed she was told she would be in a wheelchair within 2 years. It's now about 5 years later and she is still mobile (though uses a walking stick).

On a side note, maybe get a second opinion?

ai, HW... that's *** news. 

Not cool. Chin up, one day at a time!

And I was hoping that one day I could run like a Mustang GT wearing my GT bicycles cycling socks :lol:

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

*** news, but look on the positive side. It's treatable.

A positive attitude will be a big help.

My mother has MS, and when it was diagnosed she was told she would be in a wheelchair within 2 years. It's now about 5 years later and she is still mobile (though uses a walking stick).

On a side note, maybe get a second opinion?

Well I have another appointment with him on Monday, he says from there he will start the process of straightening my spine. He's quite a lekker oke. My step dad goes to him and my grandmother used to go to him years back.

Sad news about your mom.

So for me, the 2018 weight loss challenge began with FINDING weight. I found this upsetting. So fasting today. So far so good. Need to be hitting 2018's goal by April... It's ONLY 5kg after all  :cursing:

I too will join this train. 
31 turning on 32
1.85m
Current Weight 96.9kg
Goal: 85-90kg

2017 went from around 110kg to +- 98kg. Got slacking in the 3rd quarter of last year and picked up again. 

I train 5-6 days a week now. 
Mon: Minimum 5k hilly trail run + CORE!
Tue: Minimum 1h MTB 

Wed: Minimum 8k trail run + Flexibility!
Thu: minimum 1h MTB

Fri: Full body strength training(prepare to die)
Saturday: Alternate between 12k plus trail run or Long MTB ride 
Sun: REST!

Things to invest in: 

1. Foam Roller, give yourself a massage every morning when you wake up and after exercise.
  2. Stretching, Stretching and more Stretching. Combined with foam rolling helps prevent injury and recover 
  3. Do not skip core and strength training! Super important to keep a balanced body. Unbalanced body = injury!!! Help you hang onto the bars on long hard descents, aka less arm pump and you'd be surprised how much more agile you are on the bike.
  4. The more you lose the harder it gets the more you need to train smartly!

31 turning on 32

1.85m

Current Weight 96.9kg

2017 went from around 110kg to +- 98kg. Got slacking in the 3rd quarter of last year and picked up again.

Fri: Full body strength training(prepare to die)

Things to invest in:

• Foam Roller, give yourself a massage every morning when you wake up and after exercise.
  • Stretching, Stretching and more Stretching. Combined with foam rolling helps prevent injury and recover
  • Do not skip core and strength training! Super important to keep a balanced body. Unbalanced body = injury!!! Help you hang onto the bars on long hard descents, aka less arm pump and you'd be surprised how much more agile you are on the bike.
  • The more you lose the harder it gets the more you need to train smartly!

Really interesting advice. Almost mirrors what my physio said to me this morning. I was in the fitness industry for 15 yrs, know the importance of core, but have neglected it horribly recently, and am now paying the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 turning on 32

1.85m

Current Weight 96.9kg

Things to invest in: 

• Foam Roller, give yourself a massage every morning when you wake up and after exercise.
  • Stretching, Stretching and more Stretching. Combined with foam rolling helps prevent injury and recover 
  • Do not skip core and strength training! Super important to keep a balanced body. Unbalanced body = injury!!! Help you hang onto the bars on long hard descents, aka less arm pump and you'd be surprised how much more agile you are on the bike.
  • The more you lose the harder it gets the more you need to train smartly!
Core. That is the key word

31 turning on 32

1.85m

Current Weight 96.9kg

Things to invest in: 

1. Foam Roller, give yourself a massage every morning when you wake up and after exercise.
  2. Stretching, Stretching and more Stretching. Combined with foam rolling helps prevent injury and recover 
  3. Do not skip core and strength training! Super important to keep a balanced body. Unbalanced body = injury!!! Help you hang onto the bars on long hard descents, aka less arm pump and you'd be surprised how much more agile you are on the bike.
  4. The more you lose the harder it gets the more you need to train smartly!

added