Gorilla Tape

Mojoman

Just gewone duct tape from the local negosie winkel.

Some are better than other - yes.

And maybe electical tape over it.

Gorilla tape way too expensive.

Have used just electrical tape with NO issues.

Edited by porqui

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleaned the rim with acetone, wrapped it with Gorilla tape, 2 tires later still no leaks. It does of course make it very easy to wrap when you are riding nice and wide rims. I've done a couple of rims for friends with Gorilla tape and when you are working with 21mm and 23mm rims you need to work a bit slower to make sure the tape is stuck on neatly.

The clear Gorilla tape also makes brilliant frame and crank wrap.

I only use gorilla tape. I buy the wide roll and cut it into thinner strips for the different rims.

You cut it on the roll, cut down to about two layers of tape, and then when you pull it to stick it on the rim, it tears off on your cutmark as you unroll.

The yellow Stans tape is also good, but for some reason I've always eventually had issues with it, and gorilla has yet to let me down.

Any decent duct tape should work if it is strong enough. And insulation tape will also work when in a bind.

• 7 months later...

any gorilla tape experts know how thick gorilla tape clear is ? 

Wore through A decent amount of my frame's paint and want to use it as frame protection 

post-46013-0-02340300-1533573782_thumb.jpg

Edited by BaGearA

Just gewone duct tape from the local negosie winkel.

Some are better than other - yes.

And maybe electical tape over it.

Gorilla tape way too expensive.

Have used just electrical tape with NO issues.

GT is a more expensive, but nothing compares to it!

I would go with that Gorilla tape every day of the week.. I use gorilla tape then use a high quality electrical tape over it. Stops the tire beads from pulling the tape off when it's been on for a while

I usually do it the other way around ... but your version makes sense with the view of protecting the GT!

I don't know how thick it is but I've used it on a couple of frames to protect paint. It works really well.

Wore through A decent amount of my frame's paint and want to use it as frame protection 

I use blue Gorilla-like rim tape that I get from a local cycling products importer. It's a bit thinner than GT and doesn't leave an adhesive residue when you pull it off.

It's pretty cheap but works well - I use it on all the wheels I build. R125 for 25 meters, 25mm wide.

Recently applied some to my chainstays and seatstays - works well, but has a very shiny finish. It will work against scrtaches but is not anywhere near thick enough to provide any impact protection like AMS frame protection would. I don't know how thick in mm, but for comparison I would say 10 layers of clear GT gives you the same thickness as an AMS sticker.

Be careful when you apply, it makes bubbles very easily.

Recently applied some to my chainstays and seatstays - works well, but has a very shiny finish. It will work against scrtaches but is not anywhere near thick enough to provide any impact protection like AMS frame protection would. I don't know how thick in mm, but for comparison I would say 10 layers of clear GT gives you the same thickness as an AMS sticker.

Be careful when you apply, it makes bubbles very easily.

Felt it in builders and decided against it , gona try thick vinyl

It feels like sellotape.

To avoid the bubbling wet the surface with soapy water and apply the tape. Then apply pressure to force the water away and rub the applied tape to get rid of the bubbles

It feels like sellotape.

To avoid the bubbling wet the surface with soapy water and apply the tape. Then apply pressure to force the water away and rub the applied tape to get rid of the bubbles

Yeah, pretty much feels like selotape, just sticke much better. It's effeftive for things like cable rub and the like, but definitely no impact protection.

Will try the soap water technique next time I need to apply some, thanks!

• 2 years later...

Thinking of using GT on the top tube for protection against scratches. Already have a thicker protection layer on the down tube.

Question though for the experts - I'll be applying it to a carbon frame (raw / matte finish). Any reason I should not be using it? Any potential discolouring or residue issues on the frame over time?