mtb around 40k

Bitsy

Hello guys,

Im in the market for a mtb and have considered the following options. All of them are between the 40-45k mark. Budget is important so cannot exceed that.

I have never ridden a dual sus so I am basically going with online reviews in the order of frame (carbon/alu), fork,  weight, and then wheels.

Currently I ride a scott scale 940 am am happy with the XC type bike. I do not do "heavy" trail riding.

The three options i have considered thus far are:

1. KTM Scarp Elite (carbon, xt components, fork- Reba 100 mm, Wheels DT Swiss)

2. Spaz Stumpjumper (Alu, dropper, Fork- Reba 150 mm)

3. Momsen Vipa 2 (full carbon, xt components, Fork- SID 100mm)

The KTM seems cool and it is carbon- very well specced. The thing that is putting me off the Spaz is the alu frame, and the vipa 2 seems like a good deal esp with the SID fork.

Whats ur thoughts....btw both the vipa 2 and KTM weighs around 12.4kgs. I weigh around 80kgs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You aren't exactly comparing apples with apples. The Stumpjumper is a far cry from an XC bike like the other two. It is on the Enduro/Gravity oriented side of trail bikes - I have one and love it, but if it is an XC bike you want then eliminate that option straight off the bat.

If you do want to look at the Specialized range then an Epic would be comparable to the other two bikes, and if you want something slightly more trail capable, look at the Camber. I would suggest the Camber Comp Carbon as the go to for most people - good value, can handle anything from marathon to trail riding.

Personally I am not a fan of KTM or Momsen, but gun to the head I'd probably take the KTM given those 2 options.

If I was you I would expand my options to the new Giant Anthem 29, Scott Spark, and Spez Camber or Epic. I would like to also suggest Pyga, but I think (and I could be wrong) they will be a bit more pricey.

What's wrong with ALU for a dual suss frame? I wouldn't count that as a show stopper if it is well designed.

You could find a good deal on a 2017 carbon Stumpie. SWAT comes in handy!!! Great bike and suitable for longer rides if one isn't looking for a podium finish.

The Stumpie is about 1.5kg heavier than the xc bikes mentioned.

You could find a good deal on a 2017 carbon Stumpie. SWAT comes in handy!!! Great bike and suitable for longer rides if one isn't looking for a podium finish.

The Stumpie is about 1.5kg heavier than the xc bikes mentioned.

But the Stumpy had 135/150mm of travel. Why on earth would one go for a Stumpy when the Camber is designed specifically for what the OP wants to do?

Like I said, the Stumpy is an awesome bike, and I have done long rides with it (even finished Berg and Bush with it), but having gotten myself a Camber recently as well I realise just how bad the Stumpy actually is at long rides - sure you can do it, but it's made for trail rides and shines when the trails point down. It's seat angle is too slack for climbing well, and it does not pedal nearly as effectively as an XC bike. If your primary goal is going to be XC the Camber is amazing...

Get the right tool for the job. Camber also has a SWAT box, and can handle quite a bit of trail use.

What's wrong with ALU for a dual suss frame? I wouldn't count that as a show stopper if it is well designed.

I tend to agree. Geometry plays a much bigger role in how a bike rides than frame material and weight. That said, if you can get carbon in a given bike it will prob be better.

If you're open to 2nd hand: There are some seriously kitted out Pyga Stages, Cannondale scalpels and dare I say Spaz epics.

Also more durable - every full sus carbon mtb I've had (3 of them - GTx2, and a Lapierre) has eventually worked loose around one or other pivot point. Aluminium for the win :)

Putting the Stumpy in the same class as the other two is a bit weird.

If you want a Spez option rather look Camber, just as a suggestion.

But to answer your question, between the 3 that you listed, the Vipa is a excellent bike!

I echo all the sentiments written above on the Camber

(I own one, so am biased)

No sure what size you are looking for, but this one ticks a lot of boxes:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/287084-specialized-camber-comp-carbon/

If Kermit green isn't your thing or its the wrong size, my next suggestion is the newer Scott Sparks (also previously suggested):

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/scott-spark-950-2018

I don't know much about the KTM and the Vipa seems limiting with the short travel - it seems very race orientated. 120mm travel with slack'ish geometry gives a nice comfortable ride on a bike that is confidence inspiring.

If you look at the way things are going the bikes that were always the staple XC bike are moving towards slightly longer travel, slacker head angles and steeper seat angles. Bikes like the new Anthem, the Camber and the new Spark (a hell of a bike, repeat, a HELL of a bike) are becoming more user friendly for a variety of terrain with no down sides. I've had a play on the new spark and you could rip tech trail  or take it for some marathon rides and stage races easily. Personally I think 120mm is a great  travel for most new bikes in that category on 29'r wheels.  

Don't discount alu, the bike is the whole package and it depends on angles, chain stay lengths, overall wheelbase, geo, fit, shock etc. I've had carbon, I've had alu and I'm on alu now it's not a massive factor.. to quote lance 'it's all about the bike'.

Personally out of your choice I'd tip towards the Stumpy but it's massively out of context with the other two bikes when compared and doesn't really fit your bill. The Camber is great but if not the VIPA just because the few guys I know that have them have an unholy love for them and can't stop telling me good they are for their racing snake lifestyles.

You've got a great budget, there is alot about. Don't discount going pre-owned. For that money you'll find a almost new / immaculate weapon. Just look for one that is being let go by either a jozi based guy having a mid life crisis who only rode a R80K bike once and then got bored or a CT guy who bought it to keep up with his golf biking mates, never got around to getting it out on the hills and needs to shift kit cos it's divorce time. ;)

Wrote a long considered reply. Screw it, just buy that Carbon Camber that Splat posted and never look back! 

Archived